What is Mardi Gras all about?

My mother and I were just talking, and I told her I wanted to go to Mardi Gras this year. Of course she dissed it as nothing but reckless partying, but I am still curious as to what is the Mardi Gras celebration all about. I have never been to New Orleans, and think it would be fun to see for myself. Have you ever been to Mardi Gras? I know bright jewel colors in the beads and face masks are associated with it, but beyond that, I don't know much about it. I think it would be cool to experience, too.
@spalladino (17921)
I believe that you've missed the Mardi Gras celebration in New Orleans this year since it ends on Fat Tuesday, which is the day before Ash Wednesday two days ago. Mardi Gras is a celebration in advance of Ash Wednesday and the season of Lent...it's roots in New Orleans are based on this religious period. My parents went to Mardi Gras several years ago and they had a good time. There are parades, lots of folks in costumes and/or wearing masks tossing beaded necklaces and other trinkets to the crowds. And there are a lot of crowds on Burbon Street, which is where all the action is. During Mardi Gras there is also a lot of entertainment, good food and a lot of drinking going on.
Hi spalladino!Thank you for all the information on Mardi Gras. I am sorry I missed it! Maybe I can visit next year, now that I know when the celebration is. I also think it would be fun to interact with all the people in the crowds, as long as I don't have to lift up my shirt. I don't think I could ever do that.
@cream97 (29163)
Hi, towongfoo27. I have never been to the Mardi Gras celebration before. I wonder what this festival is all about too. It looks like fun though. I remember when I first saw this celebration on T.V. It was on the movie called "Candyman." It looked very scary and I wondered what all took place at this festival. Do they also take their clothes off too? Because, I think that I saw a movie where people did this.
@spalladino (17921)
There are a lot of buildings with balconies along Burbon Street, which is the main drag for the Mardi Gras celebration as far as I know, and there are and have been incidences where women on the balconies will lift up their tops so that others will throw those coveted beaded necklaces at them. Also, women on the street will do the same to get the folks standing on the balconies to toss necklaces down to them. According to tradition, the more necklaces you have, the better. I saw an episode of Cops once where they stopped this behaviour several times and threatened to lock up these young ladies if they did it again. New Orleans makes a lot of money from Mardi Gras so they don't want to encourage X rated behaviour and lessen the number of families who visit during this festival.