Nephew Embarassed About Bedroom When Having Friends Over

Hello Mylot community. I was just talking to my mom, and she was explaining to me about her twelve year old grandson that lived with her. He is in the in-between stage of child and tweenager, and I guess he had a friend visit him last night. Adam didn't want to show the classmate his room, because he had Knex toys and Beanie Babies everywhere. It reminded me of when I was about twelve, and an older girl that lived down the street wanted to also visit. I can remember getting embarassed, for I stil had my Barbie Dolls displayed neatly on my little spray-painted purple shelf. I think it was soon after that that I started to not play with the barbie dolls anymore. I wanted to be "cool" like the other older girls in the neighborhood, you know? I am wondering if this in-between stage, or puberty perhaps, is a normal part of being a tween.
@pandaeyes (2068)
Interesting. I didn't have that problem as I shared with my much younger sister and the one person that ever came in my bedroom automatically thought the baby toys were all hers. My daughters bedroom is still covered in furries and there are some barbies in there somewhere. Transformed into punk women and other interesting alternatives. She is at university (nearly 20 years old) guess what she took with her? It was her beanie buddy cat.
Hello pandaeyes! I don't have any of the Barbie Dolls, but I still have my stuffed Garfield and Odie plush toys! I adore them, and they are all over my bedroom! but let's just keep that between us! lol!
@pandaeyes (2068)
My old teddy is on the bottom of our bed. My husbands teddy lives in my daughters room with her menagerie. He used to belong to HIS dad before that.
I think that this is a normal stage of growing up. I remember being the same way when I was about that age. I also, however, think that at twelve years old there is nothing wrong with still enjoying childish things. My daughter is just seven years old now, but she has developed a close friendship with the little girl up the road. Kathryn's friend Michelle is thirteen years old, but they love to play Polly Pocket together and to give each other makeovers. I think it does make a difference that Kathryn is mature for her age but still, I see it as a stage that children go through.
@DeenaD (2688)
I am sure it's all a normal part of growing up, and twelve is a difficult age. I think maybe it's time for a bedroom make-over for your nephew!
@Chevee (5914)
I can understand children and the things that bothers them. Maybe if you or your mom sit him down and explain to him that it is important to be yourself and if your friends can't except you for that they are not very good friends. If he enjoy his Beanie Babies and Knex toys I think he should be comfortable with them and not let friends or anyone else deprive him of that. I know these things are easily said, but very difficult for a child to understand. I can remember some of things that embarrassed me when I was a child and those things seem silly to me now. In the behavior that the grandchild that lives with your mother."This too shall Past".