Do women get a second look for their long hair?

I have always had long thick brown hair, and I remember my mom saying to me once not to cut it,because men will give a women walking by a second look. I was like okay. Now while I have heard that, I believe men give women a second look due to thier other qualities too, like facial expression and body language at the moment. I think what my mom was trying to say is well-maintained long hair implies the woman also takes care of herself. I don't know, maybe this is a just a supersittion of sorts. Reason being when I was in the military, my hair was cut short like a man, and I still got plenty of offers! What do you think? Was my mom right? she also has long hair, but has the same hippie hairstyle from the 1970s. Go figure.
@goldeneagle (6773)
I love a woman with long hair. The longer the better, until it reaches about waist-length anyway. Anything longer than that is a little freaky, but a woman having hair down to her waist is SO sexy to me, especially if it is long BLACK hair, on a really dark-complected woman.
@sreesai (216)
hi towongfoo27, your mother may be wright :-) My husband knows me before our marriage, but I don't know him. After our marriage he told me that he knew me as long haired girl in so and so college. Ha ha haa...
@xParanoiax (6997)
There is something to it, scientifically speaking. Long hair signals to the instinctive human brain that a female is healthy and virile. In general though, everyone has their own preference...and different hair looks good on different people. Some people love it long on their ladies, others don't...and some folks love it long on men too...while others hate it.
@sublime03 (2233)
It really depends because there are some people who look better with long hair than short hair. I actually look better with long hair though I can still sport a shorter look. Also, I find it sexier having long hair since indeed men look at women who have long hair. I think some men find it hot for women who sport a long hair and there are also some who like it short.
i would say in some cases,yes. mine is now down to the top of my legs and i get stares,i have to say. maybe because you don't often see hair that long anymore. the strange thing i've encountered though is people who insinuate i'm "too old" to have hair that long,and i should cut it. WTF?i didn't know there was an age limit.
@jesssp (2738)
I don't think long hair in an absolute must have quality for men to be attracted to a woman but it is one of those very strong visual cues. It represents femininity and it does draw the eye perhaps a little more than short hair. I do think a lot of men prefer long hair because it's one of those things that's been associated with beauty and femininity for so long, it's just in their nature to be attracted to it. But I know lots of women who look gorgeous in short styles and there are definitely men that like them. So long haired ladies may get a few more initial looks but that doesn't mean they'll get more offers than a girl with a cute pixie cut!
@avani26 (1519)
Your mom is very right. I being a woman myself really love and take a another glance whenever I see with a girl or woman with well maintained beautiful long hair.
really, i didnt know that lol. though i know that hair is women crowning glory and that we look more pretty if we have nice hair. and we look so feminine if we have long hair. my ex also told me of not to cut my hair as he knows that i used to cut my hair during summer coz its very hot and i feel so messy with long hair.
@polachicago (19073)
I think at some point your mother was right. I cut my long hair to the shoulder cut and all of my male friends ask me how long it will take to regrow it....(?) They are crazy about long hair. I agree with you, some people look much batter with shorter hair. In fact I love short hair style for woman. My hair are not good to be trimmed so I have to keep them longer.
@daliaj (5680)
I give a second look to a woman with beautiful hair, being a woman. I used to have long hair and I kept for around 15 years. I cut it later because many of my friends said that I look like a shool teacher and now I am young to try various types of hair styles. But, I still love long hair and appriciates it if I see somebody with long hair.