Are walnuts healthy to eat?

I just finished a lunch with half a wheat pita filled with beans, a mustard green salad with carrots and pepper, and yogurt with some dried apricots, strawberries, and walnuts. I love walnuts, for my mom say they have the "good" fat. Yet I don't know what kind of fat is good or bad. the walnuts tasted so good mixed in the Boston Creme Pie yogurt by Dannon, too! I also hear walnuts can be a source of protein, but I need to watch out for they are fattening, too. I don't even know the serving size of walnuts. What do you like to mix in with walnuts for meals? I know they are good on their own, too.
@smileonstar (4012)
HI, I love nuts... all kinds of nuts will do. I know those nuts are not good for health... if they add in meal is just to add the taste to it and make enjoyable. I can't eat too much nuts at one time... otherwise I will have a headache. I think those nuts has tran fat... u know what that is? it is not good for health... cholesterol things also in there. hope u enjoy it just a small amount
I don't usually eat walnuts, but my mom has been talking about them so much, I thought I'd give them a try. So I bought myself a bag, and today added them to my yogurt. Not a whole lot of course, but enough to compliment my yogurt like a homemade parfait also with the dried apricots and strawberries. I must admit I like their taste, for the walnuts are filling, and I probably won't be hungry till dinner! I just wonder what other ecpies there are for walnuts? Thank you for responding smileonstar!
smileon star you are completely wrong, nuts are good fat source and protein too , no trans fats or cholesterol either, have not you read the medical reports on how good nuts are for you and that they contain only good fats, there are good fats like nuts, avocados and olive oil, they are nutrients in them that are very healthy. I dont know where you got the bad info from but its wrong.
@goldeneagle (6774)
Walnuts are good for you for a couple of different reasons. If I remember correctly, it has a lot to do with the types of fats and oils the walnuts have in them...
even chocolate cake if taken in moderate amount is not bad for health.....so according to me walnuts wont be of any harm....
@sender621 (14934)
Walnuts are a healthy snack. I do not believe you can go wrong with any serving size of walnuts.
I enjoy walnuts but I have to be careful because sometimes they give me heartburn, don't have a clue why. Sometimes they can be bitter if they aren't fresh so I usully buy pecans instead. The combination of nuts and fruit in a salad is great. I think a small bit of each satisfies my need for sweet and crunch without dipping into the junk food.
@jesssp (2739)
Walnuts are good for you. The 'good fat' they contain is monounsaturated or polyunsaturated fat (not sure which one they have more of). It's good for the heart and can actually help lower cholesterol. Pistachios are another nut that has lots of good fat. Nuts are a great choice for a snack or as an addition to a meal because of the unsaturated fat and the protein. But they are still high in fat and sometimes high in calories so it's best to not go nut crazy and eat them sparingly.