Help, I'm trying to bake Snickerdoodles!

I have never made Snickerdoodles before, and am trying to get them just right. I want to send my mom and son a care package of sorts, filled with Snickerdoodle cookies. Yet in this recipe, I have used some brown sugar and maple syrup. I worry they won't turn out right, because my oven tends to get alittle over-heated. So I am trying to watch them. What is the secret to making Snickerdoodle cookies? Please share with a nervous baker! Oh, here is the recipe I got from Allrecipes.com, http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Ultimate-Maple-Snickerdoodles/Detail.aspx
I absolutely love Snickerdoodles, however, I've never prepared them myself. It is typically my cousin that makes them for the Christmas holiday. She has only overcooked hers once and after that she said that she found they tend to work out better if you bake them at a temperature that is slightly less than what the recipe tells you to bake them at. By the time she gets to Cincinnati with them from Virginia, they taste perfect.
Hi dorannmwin! How are you today? I hope good! I love snickerdoodles, too, and I plan on baking some more for my mom when I go to her house this next Tuesday to visit for a week or two. They say it is good to give the snickerdoodles plenty of time to "meld" the flavors together, but the only issue I have with that is to make sure the cookies are in an airtight container so they don't dry out. I have to also put a piece of bread in with them to keep the cookies nice and moist. I typically turn my oven temp down a few degrees too when I cook, because it typically gets hotter than what it is supposed to. I think next time I will make my cookies in the toaster oven, for I can keep a better eye on them, too. My favorite part of making snickerdoodles is rolling them in the cinnamon and sugar mixture before placing them on the cookie sheet. I love eing creative, and it reminds me of the christmas my mom and I baked at least 12 different kinds of cookies for the whole family. We just sat there during my christmas break and baked away, just the two of us!
@owlwings (43034)
• Cambridge, England
That is such an American sounding name that I had to go and have a look at your recipe! I don't know where I'm going to find maple sugar but maple syrup is available here (though expensive if you want the Real McCoy!). The recipe reminds me very much of my mother's Ginger Biscuits (often called Ginger Fairings) but without the ginger, of course. She didn't roll them in sugar but that sounds an excellent idea. I shall certainly try them and, no doubt, the name alone will guarantee their success (though I think the biscuits - cookies to you - will prove popular too).
@owlwings (43034)
• Cambridge, England
Further research turned up this recipe which, with the cream of tartar and the cinnamon, appears to be closer to most people's definition of a Snickerdoodle: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Mrs-Siggs-Snickerdoodles/Detail.aspx The first comment (by SUGARPLUMSCOOKIES) has some useful tips on why Snickerdoodles may not always turn out right (but I see that you have made yours and they were fine!)
• Lubbock, Texas
I haven't baked snickerdoodles in ages, but I found that they are best if you bake them, cool them completely, then put them in an air tight container to "age". Sometimes a week or two is enough to give them the proper texture.
Hello thebeaddoodler! I have baked my snickerdoodles, and they have turned out wonderfully. I made them, because my mom used to love them as a child, and I want to surprise my son with them. Of course, I ate a few myself. The cookies made the house smell so good! I didn't know snickerdoddles had to age, thanks for the tip! I have also heard if you want to store them, and keep them from getting completely dry, to place a piece of white bread in the container or bag. Then you change it everyday. I guess the bread gets dry, but the snickerdoodles remain moist? I will wait awhile before sending the cookies to my mom and son per your advice! thank you again thebeaddoodler!
@ladym33 (10990)
The best advice I can give is to don't over cook them. She should still be really soft when they are finished cooking. You are doing the right thing keeping an eye on them. This is a cookie that can get really hard really easily if over baked. Just as the start to get brown on the bottom take them out, also remember the second batch you bake will likely take less than the first one, so really watch that too. They can also dry out really quickly so make sure to wrap them really securely with plastic wrap or glad cling wrap, make sure there are no holes where air can get in and dry them out.