Help, my legs are cramping!

I just woke up, and my right leg is cramping pretty bad. I think it is because I walk most everyday for a few miles, but the muscle is pretty spasmodic right now. Do you have any advice on hoe to help alleviate cramps? All I can do is sit here in pain!
@BART78 (2931)
leg(calf/hamstring) cramps or spasm is very common to active person like swimmer, runner and also older people, the most common cause of this is mineral deficiency of calcium and magnesium or sometimes lack of potassium resulting in an electrytic imbalance, if i have leg spasm while im on my bed i stretch my leg straigth out and bend the toe back toward my head then hold for 30 seconds, relax and i repeat until spasm gone, one of common home remedies for leg spasm is drinking a mixture of two teaspoon of apple cider vinegar and one teaspoon of honey in a warm water (apple cider vinegar is high in potassium) or you can use simple pain reliever like aspirin or ibuprofen, the most common remedies for athelete is mustard, just take a spoonful or two of mustard (cramps sometimes is caused by a deficiency in acetylcholine and mustard is rich in acetic acid, which helps the body make more acetylcholine)...hope this will help..
Wow, i am impressed by all the information you have shared with me on leg cramps! I am pretty active, as I use to run a lot in the army, but now choose to walk, given my knees aren't the best. I do try to eat a banana for the potassium most everyday, but I didn't know that apple vinegar, which my mom raves about via the Bragg website, is so good for you, and now I know another benefit! I will have to try the mustard though. Thank you Bart78! You rock!
@BART78 (2931)
same too here, when i'm off in the gym i do my morning run for an 45 min., i used to have cramps also but when i learned this information i took it seriously and now i haven't have any cramps for almost a year now...i maintained apple cider vinegar (ACV) as my regular detox only once a day, my mom also used ACV cause it has nice healthy benefit..
@ronaldinu (12439)
• Malta
Most probably cramps is due to poor blood circulation. Try to stretch your legs and try standing and walk slowly. Until the pain subsides and you can start walking again back to normal. Massaging your leg muscles and warm them up might help in feeling better. I hope that your leg cramp is over by now.
Good morning ronaldinu! How are you today? I am feeling better now, for I have massgaed my legs, and will try stretching the muscle as well. When I was in the army, for physical therapy, they would suggest I use cold and hot packs. I would sometimes use a frozen package of corn or peas. I also have Icy Hot, too, maybe that will work for the muscles! Thank you ronaldinu!
@webearn99 (1743)
A lot of fluids and a good massage should set it right. If you are not the action sports kind and have taken to walking in the recent past this is normal. Remember the "No pain No gain" thing? Well! this is it. The pain I mean. The gain is unfortunately, visible only after some time. So cheer up. If the pain is persistant, please consult you medical practitioner. Do not medicate yourself!
I have been walking for quite some time now, so my legs should be used to it. Although I admit I don't play many sports, I do a lot of walking everyday. I think it is a habit from my time in the army, for we would do a lot of exercise, like those grueling 12 mile road marches. I am just thankful I no longer have to wear a 50 pound rucksack on my back! Thank you for your advice webearn99! I will remember the no pain no gain thing, for it is very true!
If you walk on a regular basis I don't think that the walking in and of itself would have caused the pain that you are having. One of the things that I've noticed that will cause me to have cramping in my calfs and/or shins is when my potassium levels are low. There are many ways to help with this problem, but the quickest and for me the most effective way to get rid of these kind of cramps is to eat a banana because they are rich in potassium.
@lelin1123 (15635)
• Puerto Rico
That pain can be so bad. Do you eat bananas at all. If not you may be lacking potassium in your diet. I try to eat a banana at least every other day and I don't get leg cramps anymore. If you do eat bananas all the time then maybe its due to bad circulation.
@mslena75 (562)
Eat a banana. The potassium helps a lot. Also, when you go to bed at night, take a bar of soap and wrap it up and place it under your legs, that helps to alleviate cramping. There is also the possibility that you could be dehydrated, perhaps increase the amount of water you drink.
@LuaCara (50)
This used to help me when I used to get cramps during my pregnancy. Lie on the bed and flex your legs so that you are pulling yours toes towards yourself and pushing your heels outwards. I find doing this always helps to alleviate cramps.
@floridia (297)
• Algeria
hahah take it easy because that is normal. i think that you have lot you didn't practice sport.
@rocketj1 (6960)
Muscle cramps are often caused by a lack of potassium. You could take a potassium tablet or you could eat a banana, which has lots of it. I usually take some ibuprophen which is an anti-inflammatory. "walking it out" or putting ice on the muscle can also help me too. Hope you feel better soon!
Hi rocketj1! I usually just end up walking it out, like you say. And since the weather is slowly getting more agreeable, the muscles won't take as long to warm up. And since I am a big fan of bananas, now I have more reason to eat one! Thank you rocketj1! ;-D