Question for myLot Tea Party Supporters...

@anniepa (27279)
Politico did a survey of 29 "leaders" of the tea party movement; I'm not sure what they actually mean by "leaders" and I know 29 people can't really speak for everyone else involved, especially with all of the various factions of the movement, but I thought I'd ask anyway. These "leaders" were asked to rate high profile Republicans ona scale of 1-10. It turned out that among their "least favorite" Republicans were Senator John McCain, Mitt Romney, John Boehner and Michael Steele and their "favorites" included media personalities Glenn Beck (with the highest score), Michele Malkin and Andrew Breitbart and politicians Jim DeMint, Michele Bachmann and Sarah Palin. : http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0310/34363_Page2.html When I read this I thought, "Say it isn't so!" I know there have been some complaints, including by some of you here, about the GOP attempting to hi-jack the tea party movement. I've also heard and read here and elsewhere that the group isn't made up of just people from one party or ideology. However, this list of the favorites of the leaders contains a who's who of the furthest right fringe of the right wing and not at all in the mainstream! Basically, I don't think any of them speaks for me about anything and I don't really believe they speak for most of the people I know. My question to the myLot tea partiers is this - do you believe a majority of those who attend the protests and rallies share the opinions of those surveyed here? Annie
@xfahctor (14126)
• Lancaster, New Hampshire
There are so many factions of this now, including hijacked factions, it's almost impossible now to tell. Out of the list you gave, I would say, probably Glenn Beck is the only one I would keep (except when he is bashing people like Debrah Medina and Ron Paul). Michelle Malkin is a Republican shill and I can't stand her.
@anniepa (27279)
That's why I asked, X. I know 29 "leaders" is a very small sampling of a group that is nationwide. You know we don't share the same opinion of Glenn Beck, I basically think he's a nut who likes to get attention and is much too dramatic for me. I sure DO agree about Malkin! What's wrong with her? When she talks she looks like a robot, only her mouth moves a little bit while she's expressionless and still otherwise. She doesn't even blink - is she even human...lol? Annie
From what I know of the tea party movement in my area...they are made up of all kinds of people. Who believe different things. The one thing they all agree on is a small fiscally responsible government and state's rights. I can see many of them agreeing with that survery. But then I know a lot of them that don't either. But it is made up of a lot of different groups...do it depends on the group and sometimes the individuals within a group as to who likes who as far as politicans go. It surprises me Ron Paul did not make the list. He is HUGELY popular with most of those groups.
Your right. Most of the rank and file Republicans (elected ones) HATE him. I know Lyndsey Graham can't stand him.Why? Ron Paul makes him look bad. The fact that some of those others are more popular now...just shows you that the hijackers have made progress. Sad. Hopefully they will take their movement back from them.
@anniepa (27279)
I was surprised that Ron Paul wasn't right up there. As I've said many times, he was the only Republican during the 2008 campaign who didn't scare the crap out of me and who made a lot of sense. I don't agree with him on EVERYTHING but I've never agreed with any politician on everything. Anyway, it just seemed to me that if the tea party groups in general agreed with their "leaders" about who they liked the best that would indicate that it's a right-wing extremist movement and I don't consider any of my friends here to be extremists by any stretch of the imagination! Annie
Ron Paul is the only one in Washington with any clue how this country needs to run and has common sense. I don't agree with him 100% either...but like you I don't agree with any politican 100%. It does look like the Tea Party is taking up for themselves with the RNC. About time. Thanks for not thinking I am a extremist. But I have been called worse (some by my elected officials to my face). LOL.
@bobmnu (8160)
The TEA Parties that I attended would agree with such a survey. They want small government, lower taxes, and a return to following the US Constitution.
@anniepa (27279)
When they think of those things, those people on that list are who they look to? To put it another way, when they think of those people, small government, lower taxes and following the Constitution is what they think of? To me, those people all symbolize hate speech, fear-mongering and division. For the most part, the "lower taxes" they call for are for the rich and powerful. The rest of us got a tax cut this past year! I guess to me a grassroots movement powered by ordinary people of this country should be for the people as a whole, not a "survival of the fittest, the poor and sick be damned" attitude. Annie