One Person's Trash is Another Person's Profit

A Home Made Compost Bin Suitable for Small Quarter - This plastic bin on wheels works like a charm for making small amounts of sweet-smelling rich compost to feed potted plants. I just tip it on its side a couple times a week and stir when I add new stuff. Citrus rinds are a very good thing to add to make nice compost. A few earthworms live in my bin and they help the decay process.
@drannhh (15235)
Because I have a compost heap to make dirt for my garden, and I do not buy or use many processed foods, and also recycle many things, my household does not generate a lot of trash. So like the cable TV which I never watch, I have to pay for garbage pickup every week even though they pick up at the most once a month. That adds up! That made me wonder about how other people live. Do you generate a lot a trash? What do you do with it? Do you have to pay someone to pick it up or do you take it somewhere or what? Below is a picture of one of my composting bins. Using it is much better than having to buy potting soil.
@SViswan (12071)
Even with two kids in the home, I do not generate too much trash. I try to recycle a lot. As you know, I'm also trying to get a compost pit or pot for the apartment complex and that would reduce the garbage significantly. We are still in the planning stage...hope to start implementing it by next month. We have a bin outside the complex where all the trash is collected and the government picks it up. We do not have to pay for it and I don't know how often the truck comes to pick it up...but I've never seen the bin in an over flowing condition...so I guess it's done frequently.
@SViswan (12071)
I've been researching about composting...and a friend said that maggots are a problem and so we can't keep the compost pot inside the apartment complex (I was thinking of one on each floor). Smell, she says was not a problem, but maggots are.
@drannhh (15235)
I have never heard of maggots in compost unless people put meat scraps in there, which I am careful not to do. But I have not been doing this for very long.
I actually generate very little trash. I try to limit buying things with a lot of packaging, which is hard when I buy electronics. I tend to not use too many disposable products like paper plates or subscribe to newspapers. I also rarely let food spoil and eat almost everything I buy. I would love to have a compost bin for things like banana peels, lettuce that went bad, etc. But, since I don't have a place to put one, it would be hard. I have no yard or even a balcony to keep a bin.
I have to pay for someone to pick up my trash via my rent. But, most of my city's homes have free trash pick-up. Can you keep a bin inside your place, or is it really smelly?
@drannhh (15235)
Compost smells very nice if it is made properly and mine smells delicious with no flies or anything, just the earthworms that live in the bottom and I have to be careful when stirring it so that I do not harm them. I don't put any meat or fish scraps in the compost and I break up large items. I had no place to put one before moving here so now it is so nice to be able to do this at last. I am experimenting with composting in tiny places, as most articles on reads online say you need at least 3 x 3 feet of space and I do not want to take up that much room, therefore the tall narrow bin. I think though that the climate here helps a lot.
I have heard of using earth worms and a container about the size of a small aquarium under the kitchen sink.
@peavey (16912)
I don't have a lot of trash, but like you, I have to pay for pick up anyway. I could do well with twice a month and would be glad to only pay when for that, but they won't do it that way. I have a compost area, not a bin, but I want a compost tumbler one of these days. It would be faster and take less room to process. (I, too, have cable TV. I watch it about two hours a week on the average. I'm thinking that's a waste of money!)
@drannhh (15235)
Indeed that cable TV is expensive for people like you and me who watch it little or none. Thanks for stopping by, Peavey!
@cyrus123 (6364)
That's a nice composting bin. I don't generate a lot of trash like a lot of other people seem to do since I live alone. The city picks mine up once a week but I have to pay a garbage bill about every four months. It's a bunch of malarchey, if you ask me, and I remember how everybody griped about it when they first started charging us!
@cyrus123 (6364)
I've often heard that saying that "Another man's junk is another man's treasure".
@drannhh (15235)
Thanks, glad to hear that others are minimalists regarding the trash. To bad we get penalized instead of rewarded for that, though!
@cyrus123 (6364)
I think so, too. At least the city issues us nice garbage cans, though. They're quite large and hold a good bit.
I generate less now than what I used too. Here they focus heavily on recycling which must make our council a pretty penny, as they now take glass bottles and I suspect that they gain a good source of income from this as we don't pay for rubbish to be collected. It comes from our tax and whereas they was mentioning they would charge us or less if we didn't throw away much it's never come into play. I haven't tried composting, it's something I really should try.
@drannhh (15235)
I love composting and do it in a VERY small space. You might think it would smell bad, but mine smells just delicious and my plants love it, plus being free it saves a lot of money on potting soil. Where I used to live they charged us to collect the recycle stuff, but it was mandatory, go figure. I recycle my own glass bottles by using them over and over, and the same for a lot of stuff. I have heard of people who do not generate enough rubbish to be collected being accused of not recycling. That is pathetic.
@SomeCowgirl (32255)
There is no way to just opt out of the trash service for you all and instead go to the dump once a month? I believe it's 12 dollars here to go to the dump, though we use the trash services. Our recylcing (if it came down our road) is free. Glad your composting, but hate you still have to pay so much for something you hardly use.
@drannhh (15235)
Thank you but no there is no way to opt out. Worse than paying for the trash is we have to pay for television which I do not care to watch. But the community is nice and some of the other charges are less that similar places in this area, so I cannot really complain too much. If the dump is $12 then that would not be much of a savings, I think. With what gas costs now and the dump pretty far away it would cost more than our mandatory service.
@aseretdd (13736)
Since there are only two of us in the apartment... we have very little trash everyday... like one small plastic bag... and i pay a man around 1.20 usd a month to take it to the big trash bin three blocks away... i could do it myself but he offered and i think that it is quite a deal... I have a small pot for my compost and i want a bigger one which i can only get when we move to a bigger apartment...
@peedielyn (1210)
We have 6 kids in and out constantly at our house. My boyfriend goes through paper towels like it's air to breathe. We do generate a lot of trash and we try to recycle as much as possible. We actually just got a bunch of compost that we used for the flowers instead of mulch and it looks great and the flowers took off. I would love to have a bin for everything to recycle. Coffee grounds, tea leaves and eggs in a bucket make great protien "meals" for plants so I do that as much as I can. And I love that compost bin. I seen those at Lowe's a while back and thought of a million ways to use one of those.
@drannhh (15235)
Nice looking kids, peedielyn, and I am glad to hear a) that Lowe's had those bins, and b) that you are saving money by making your own plant nutrients. Thanks for your comment.
@med889 (5954)
There are still people who throw something as they no more wanted the stuffs but they hardly know that some people around is finding solace in whatever they are receiving as a trash from other. So even when I throw something I do not do it like throw it in bins but I gather up all the clothes I do not wish and give it to a poor family.
@drannhh (15235)
I am glad to hear that you donate unwanted clothing rather than throwing it away. When I was a little girl, I learned to sew by altering donated clothing. Now even when I cannot find something new that is exactly the right fit I can buy it anyway and alter it to fit. Here in the US it is expensive to buy the services of a tailor.
@LittleMel (14036)
there are only 2 of us, and every week we have to put out one blue bag of garbage and two green bags for wet garbage. in the green bags are either mostly food gone bad and cat litters. but anything left of vegetables and fruit that we don't eat, we give them to the tree in the backyard - of course then squirrels and racoons get to them I don't know if this is a lot of trash, but I am thinking to make my own compost and paper recycling when our budget allows it.
@drannhh (15235)
It sounds like you have your trash pretty well under control. Just this week I had a HORRIBLE ground squirrel attack on my little garden. This morning I saw about 14 tiny little baby squirrels scampering all over my neighbor's yard and mine. They are such pests, but like all baby things, cute when they are little. Too bad they carry bubonic plague. I have to get rid of them cute or not.
@cher913 (25865)
in the city i live in, we are only allowed one bag of garbage per week. they do collect recycled materials as well as a green bin (basically stuff that you would throw on a compost pile and since we live in a condo, this works well). we manage to only have one bag of trash, its not really that hard.
@drannhh (15235)
I had to look to see where you live! That is a beautiful avatar, by the way. Here we can have as much as fits in one barrel, but the neighbors help each other out and so if I have extra room in my bin I let my neighbor put some of their bags in mine. They sometimes put stuff in my green bin, since most of my green stuff goes in the compost. I think I am the only one in the neighborhood with compost because the yards are quite small and I am experimenting with composting in a small space.
@buenavida (9431)
• Sweden
One day I hope to have a garden and a compost - it would be great to grow your own vegetables. But that will have to wait for some time yet. But I would like to see your garden.