Keeping in Contact

My great aunt is close to her 80s. When she was younger, she was known for always being out with her friends. In fact, she would choose her friends over family every time. Her friends meant the world to her. They were her chosen family. Now that she is nearing 80, battling with different ailments and a cantankerous personality, she is always complaining that none of her friends visit her. No one calls. No one comes by the say hi to her. Its as if she no longer exists to them, in her opinion. When my mom suggests that my great aunt should call them, she just looks at my mom as if she had grown a tail. Why should she call them. Obviously she doesn't matter to them, right? Or at least that's her argument. I look at her and think I never want to be in that situation where I lose contact with people who I feel the closest with and feel like I'm growing old and alone.
This is just a part of life we must learn to cope with. The same happens when kids go off to college or leave town moving else where. Life deals us what we have to deal with. The people she was friends with may have no one to bring them to see her. or maybe something happened that no one spoke about. r even better they could feel she does not care being she won't call them. So maybe one of you should call and have a get together with her friends.
That is truth. If it wasn't for the internet, I would probably have lost touched with 90% of my high school friends when I went off to college. A get together would be a nice gesture for her. Thanks for the suggestion.
@jugsjugs (13038)
I would give some of them a call and explain that she is missing her friends and see if a few of them will call in to see her,as a few of them may think that she just do not want to see her anymore.Having friends is a two way thing and if one person do not make a move to get in contact with the other then that is why they never hear from them again.Cheer her up and call a few if you do not know their number then try to find out.
That's a good suggestion. I will try to ask my other family members who might know more of her old friends. Thank you.