Woo! A day off! Wait...Just kidding..

I was supposed to get two days off last week and ended up HAVING to work them. My supervisor LITERALLY gave me NO choice. Now, yes, WORKING beats the alternative, but have you ever been promised a day off at work - and ended up HAVING to work it anyway? Those 2 days (friday and saturday) were to go out of town. And so I ended up having to CANCEL my plans just to work on days that I had REQUESTED off. Does anyone else think this is unfair? How do you react to this situation - or a similar one?
It is not fair, but its your choice, you got to weigh the consequences, take days off- loose job, be broke. work and reschedule other plans-have money support yourself/family?
But the thing is is that I wouldn't be BROKE if I missed ONE shift of my part-time job. I usually work 6 days a week, so 4 days for one week wouldn't kill me financially. Plus I have another job. I don't think they deserve to THREATEN you because SOMEONE ELSE flaked out when you had REQUESTED those days off in ADVANCE. I think it's horrible. But maybe that's just my biased perception of things.