the baby's allergic to the dog... now what?

United States
June 18, 2010 9:56pm CST
Yep, my grandson is allergic to their dog. The dog is a small dog and a very good dog. But my grandson has lots of allergies and the dog is one of them. It's not a bad reaction and they try to keep the dog from licking the toddler. If they can pretty much keep them separated the baby doesn't break out. A lot of allergies are grown out of early on.. would you get rid of the dog?
1 person likes this
4 responses
• United States
19 Jun 10
Well, my mom has allergies to animals too, but we have cats and dogs. My mom takes some kind of allergy pill. Is your grandson old enough to take medicine for allergies? If they really want to keep the dog maybe they can make it an outside dog until their son grows out of it. Since it's a small dog they can get it a nice "big" doghouse--have a fluffy pillow in it...food and water outside. That wouldn't be a bad deal for the dog (definitely better than a pound!) Plus it would have all the room of the backyard to play in whenever it wanted.
1 person likes this
• United States
19 Jun 10
Yeah, he is already doing the benadryl thing!
• United States
19 Jun 10
Does it help at all? Does it get really hot out where they live? Would the consider doing the outside thing?
@picjim (3003)
• India
19 Jun 10
My son was allergic to dust and we were told to avoid having hairy pets.The reason is these pets shed during certain season aggravating allergy in the child.If you are planning on keeping the dog please keep it outdoors as its shedding will be mainly outdoors and your grandson can avoid getting frequent allergies.For children with allergies its advisable to keep dogs with short coat rather than long or furry.
1 person likes this
• United States
19 Jun 10
It is a short hair dog! That helps. When you are allergic to a pet it can either be the dander or the spit. Isn't that crazy? We are pretty sure he's allergic to the dog spit... that just sounds funny.. but if we can keep the dog more away from the baby he does pretty well.
@Shar19 (8236)
• United States
21 Jun 10
As long as the reaction isn't bad like you said then I would keep the dog. They just have to be careful with keeping the baby away from the dog, which they should be supervising at all times anyway. When the child gets older they could always give him allergy medicine so that he can tolerate the dog.
@commanderxo (1496)
• Canada
19 Jun 10
No, I wouldn't get rid of the dog. I'd buy me one of those fancy Allergy Relief air purifiers that suck in and destroy allergens, including pet dander, etc, etc. That's what I'd do. I'd NEVER get rid of a family pet, when other options to keep it are available. Besides, it's a lot less costly than getting rid of the kid. (-smile-just kidding-) cdrxo