Weird Sleep Problem

@sulynsi (2834)
Disturbed sleep is such a problem for many, and I don't sleep soundly at night. I tend to need a nap or two throughout the day, particularly at certain times in my cycle. By nap, I mean, 15-20 minutes. If I sleep only that long, I can get going again and be ok. HOwever, if I don't get up immediately and doze back to sleep again, I spend the rest of the time in a sort of half dream state, almost unable to move. I hate that! Some days the 15 minutes will do the trick, but other days, it isn't so easy. Today, I had to drag myself out of a stupor that lasted nearly 3 hours!! I think it has something to do with the body's monthly cycle too. Any comments? Similar experience?
@LadyMarissa (12160)
I don't know the availability of my suggestion in Canada... During the summer months, I eat a lot of Black Cherries. During the Winter, I take several capsules of Black Cherry Extract. I find the capsules at GNC. I don't know what's in Black Cherries that helps me to sleep well. I stay awake well until around 7-9:00 pm. Then I can't stay awake. Once I go to sleep, I rest really well ALL night & wake up feeling refreshed with NO hangover!!! I don't know if this works for everybody, but it works for me. The bottle of extract only costs me about $10.00, but is well WORTH every penny!!! There is NOTHING worse than not sleeping well!!!!
@sulynsi (2834)
Now I really like that! Yummy medicine! and all natural. I'll have to look out for that!! Thanks LadyM!
@LadyMarissa (12160)
You are most welcome!!! I'm an ALL natural kind of girl. I seldom take prescription meds opting to search out a more natural way first. Actually with this, I found the sleep properties quite by mistake. I was having a terrible problem with Gout & Black Cherries were suggested to help cleanse my system & decrease the flareups of the Gout. It was near the end of the season & I found the Extract at GNC & started taking it to help reduce the flareups. Then I began to notice that I was falling asleep as early as 7:00 & sleeping through the night. I did a little research only to read that Black Cherries were a good all natural sedative. Now, if I don't sleep well for several nights, I take 2-3 of the Extract capsules & get a good night's sleep the next night. I also found that when I gt up during the night to go to the bathroom that I immediately fall back asleep!!!
@Ezra710 (137)
I have sleep issues as well. I went to the hospital and had a sleep study done about 10 years ago. I was diagnosed with sleep apnea. I get better sleep now with the treatment plan that was recommended. You may want to consider having a sleep study done. I learned that our bodies are programed for sleep during the night, that is the cycle our bodies are naturally tuned to. If I take any kind of nap during the day, I have trouble sleeping during the night,but that is just how I am affected by a nap. There are different levels of sleep and the deepest level is where your body gets the most benefit. During sleep the healing of our bodies takes place more than any other time. Not getting adequate sleep is very dangerous, there are recommended amounts of sleep that everyone should be getting and if you are not able to, then see a medical sleep professional.
@sulynsi (2834)
I would LOVE to have a sleep study done! How does one go about it? You probably have to be in a major centre with a sleep study facility.
@Ezra710 (137)
I went to the local hospital near my small town. There was a department there in the hospital. My health insurance also has a list of providers who provide studies. I do not know yur situation as to health insurance or facilities in your area, but your family doctor could probaby direct you in the right direction. I do know that the sleep study was not cheap. What is these days when it comes to health care. My insurance covered most of it but I still paid out a few hundred dollars and that was 10 years ago. I hope this was helpful for you.
I was having problems sleeping last night, but that is because I drank 3 red bulls a couple hours before I tried to lay down...stupid on my part. The way I resolved this problem is focus, I relaxed my entire body as much as possible even though my mind was racing. I focused on relaxing, starting with my feet and working my way all the way up to my shoulders. Letting loose of all the muscles in my body, then finally after all of that, I pictured the word SLEEP in my head and just kept repeating it in my head. Next thing I knew I was waking up this morning feeling well rested and ready to go!
@sulynsi (2834)
Lol! Well, if you can sleep and feel rested after ingesting 3 red bulls, I don't think you have anything to worry about!! Falling asleep, for me, is NO problem, its the "feeling well rested and ready to go" bit I rarely experience, and if I do, it usually lasts about half an hour.
I had tried this method thousands of times before,but it never works on me .I just cannot be concentrated enough to finish all of the phases.I can start with my feet and get lost before reaching my legs.probably I'm a Gemini
@doveyml (34)
I will be honest, you could have just discribed me. I have the problems of needing a nap, often no matter how much I slept the night before. Often if I do not wake up in time I will find myself needing sleep or wanting to sleep more. After getting blood work done I found out I was amenic. Amenia, especially Iron deficiency anemia has to with not having enough iron in your blood. That would explain why it accurs with your cycles. There are many other signs: moodiness, dizziness,head aches, as well as ice chewing. I am not saying that you are amenic. I am saying it is a possiblity and your sleep issue sounds familar. The reason you are tried with amenia is because without Iron you blood is not carrying enough oxgyen to the brain. I would different check with my doctor, or research amenia online to see if you feel like you have the other signs.
@sulynsi (2834)
the trouble with this condition is that it mimics so many issues. A few years ago, when I could hardly drag myself around, I was checked for anemia and all sorts of things. The pharmacist, not the doctor, figured out my blood pressure was very low. In my case, the issue isn't blood loss, but I do believe it has to do with the levels of hormones that fluctuate during the month. I am investigating that possibility. I've ruled out a lot of stuff, or at least the doctor has. Its frustrating when you can't get to the bottom of a problem. I"m glad you found an answer for what was causing your problem.
@ebuscat (5947)
For me you have a sensitive ear so better o not listen the noise about e listen your seeping time.
@sulynsi (2834)
Maybe I'll be better off as time goes by, and I lose some hearing ability!
@rosebinas (181)
I used to have sleeping problems too but that was because I suffered from some annoying back pains a few years ago. The problem was, though my pain was cured already, the sleeplessness problem continued. I even tried over the counter sleep aids but the problem just got worse and so I stopped taking those. One day, a friend of mine who learned of my problem advised me to do a regular exercise routine (at least 3x a week/2hrs per session)and ritually drink a warm glass of milk and some really sweet cookies before retiring to bed. At first, I thought it was just a joke(I mean- the cookies.) Still, I gave it a try. It worked! Now, I no longer have sleeping problems. I do not know if it is the regular exercise or the milk and cookies that's doing the wonders.
@paula27661 (15898)
I don’t have any problems sleeping at night because by the time I get to bed I am so exhausted I will doze as soon as my head hits the pillow! I do relate to the awful feeling with waking up after a nap during the day. I get up before dawn each day and some days when I return from taking my daughter to school I will go back to bed for a sleep and if I over do that nap I will wake up feeling terrible and unable to get myself together for hours! I haven’t noticed any correlation to the monthly cycle. I find that if I am tired because I did not have enough sleep the night before I can take a one hour nap and wake up feeling quite refreshed but if I nap just because I feel tired and I am not sleep deprived fifteen to twenty minutes is my limit.