My kindergarten says she cant read

Help me moms out there. I have a 4 year old daughter who says she dont know how to read. I tried everything i can to teach her how to read until i get to the point of punishing her by not letting her play if she cant read at least 5 words each time we had our reading class at home.. and its just once a week since i get home every saturday and goes back to my workplace on sunday. Once i bring her to school i had a talk with her teacher on how was my daughter's performance. I told her i cant make her read a word at home. Sometimes she will follow me in reading but when i ask her to read it again she would just look at me and say sorry mommy i dont know cant you read it again?.. we have at least 9-10 retries for each word but to no avail. the teacher was surprised since at school she's doing good. She can even read it again even the teacher just read the word once. I was outside her classroom one time and i do heard her the words after the teacher read it once to them. I too was surprised on how she remember each word. I stopped scolding her at home if she dont read the word or say i dont know. though i still tried to teach her to read and often i get frustrated.. next year she will be in grade 1 and im afraid she will still wont read at home and leave her assignments unfinished as she always does at home... what should i do? i cant afford to hve a private tutor for her. she's staying with my mother since im always away for work.
@bkrm_gupt (220)
Since she is doing her best to the school.But we should give her more time at home also take her for the walk and teach her to look around and spell the name of the beautiful things.
I only have time one day week for her. Sometime if work demands more time i cant even go home for 2 or 3 weeks. But we go out if ever i can go home and one thing that is lacking i only let her identify some objects or animals we saw and i havnt think of asking her to spell it. hmmmm a nice idea
@pastigger (617)
It sounds like she really enjoys her time with you and is stalling so it lasts longer. Since she is doing well at school why not have home time for just the two of you to do something fun together. I am sure she looks forward to this time with and doesn't want it to end. Read to her for a while and don't push her and then may tell her one time mommy is tired do you think you could read for a little bit and if she won't then have her make up her own story for you by the pictures.
Yeah i guess you are right before she goes to school we spend time together at the park, she on her bike and me holding it so that she wont fall. When she started going to school we havnt done that maybe we should spend some time playing. I like the idea of having her read to me. i should try that thank you
@krnavtr (285)
You better go for big words with a picture and let her go through that.i think she can do after that.Every child can face the same problem within this age,as its the starting of their session.
@will_win (222)
You should give more time and buy some books which is having words with picture so that she relates to picture and understands.As you know that children attracted towards picture.
@PDBME2 (1015)
Well if she is doing good in school maybe you are worrying for nothing. In my kids school they have an after school program where they help them with their homework. They are kind of put under a situation where they should finish their homework. Maybe mentally she isn't ready to go to the next step.