Am I stupid because I feel like I am?

My neighbor came overand thought I had my heat on. So,I told her it wa the oven and we went to check the switch to see if it works. So,she moved the needle and heard a click and said that was it meaning it was on. Boy was I feeling stupid that switch was on 90 degrees. I would never have found that because I would never put my heat up that high. So,I turned it right back off and told her thee is no way I am using that thing till the land lord comes. Was I worng or should I leav it on 90 and blow my bill money down the drain? Thanks
I'm not sure why your neighbor was concerned if you were using your heat or not. That seems like quite the nosy neighbor if you ask me. If my place gets chilly I will cut the heat on for a bit to warm it up and then cut it off. If your heater is broken I would most definitely get your landlord to fix it. There is a cold weather rule in most states so he's required to fix the heat. In terms of saving energy they typically say to set your heater at 72 in the winter. This keeps it a constant temperature which is pleasant even in colder weather. Namaste-Anora
I think you have probably given her a good plan, only using heat to knock the chill off. Another thing to consider is if there is a window that gets a lot of sun in the daytime, she will want to open the curtains and let the sun give her some extra warmth. If the heater is broken, it does need repaired or maybe just re calibrated.
This will be my first time paying for heat. I need to set it lower till I get my first bill. I don't want to have a high bill and can't buy food.
@hotsummer (10809)
• Guam
are you talking about your heater.we don't use heater in our country. is it cold right now in your place. I guess so as its october already.for what i know it should be snowing right there now in your country. why didn't you notice that the heater is on. and why would you not want to use it if its extremely cold in your place
No it is only chilly at night and early in the morning time.
@hotsummer (10809)
• Guam
then better save your hard earned money by not using your heater. I love that kind of weather actually. usually that kind of weather is already the coldest season we could have in the city. that usually starts by november till early january. but with el nino and crazy change of weather we don't get that kind of weather in the normal duration it would usually last.
I will try my sest to keep it off. I hate the cold weather as well.
Wait, so did she turn on the heat that high? Or did you? I am confused. Or is it broken? I couldn't imagine a house being heated up to 90 degrees. I couldn't even imagine it being up to 70 degrees. God, that has to be horribly expensive, so I don't blame you for turning it off. Plus, to save money, you should get a programmable thermostat that you can set or at least get the one you've got fixed.
Th one I have comes on when you put it up to 90 degrees so I have to have it fixed. She turned it up but,I quickly shut it off that would be far too hot for me.
@vijay12 (1643)
There is no need to feel stupid,at all.Mistakes and absent-mindedness are common.Once I kept my gas heater on and went for work.On returning I found that it was STILL ON,I didn't feel stupid at all.I simply had forgotten.But after this I was very careful.
Thanks for this. I am doing the best I can here.
Think 90 in the summer it is way too hot, so 90 in the winter is way to high. Your gas bill will drive you completely broke so please have your landlord take a look at it to make sure it is working properly and show you how to use it. Most people keep it at like 70 during the day and 68 at night. But it varies so have the landlord advice then you up it to comfort and or lower is still too much. But never at 80 as it will run you way too much.
Thanks I was worried about this for I am not able to pay all that money on heat and buy food.
No, you are not stupid. Here is what I do, and this is how your thermostat probably works as well: I set my thermostat at 68 degrees. The heat will only kick on if it gets colder than 68 degrees. I am comfortable with that. If I am moving around, I am hot anyway. If I am not warm enough, I use a blanket or put on warm clothes and a sweater. I would not even turn on the oven. I would just wear enough clothes to stay warm, and set my heat really low. If you have had no experience with a thermostat like this, you would not know it automatically. Does your thermostat also have a thermometer? If not, you could get one. Our power company gives them away free, or you can buy them inexpensively at Wal Mart, or maybe even a dollar store.
Yes,I have a thermostat on mine. it says my home is 80 degrees. it will never move from there though. So,I will leave it off till it gets colder. Right now I turn my oven on warm and it warms the house and I turn it off. I do have a big widow that sun comes in from. I will keep it open as well. I mea the curtians.
• Belgium
You did the right thing. No point wasting your money.
I agree with you..
@writersedge (22577)
That neighbor saved you lots of money. I'm surprised you didn't notice it was 90, but you said you were cooking so you probably just thought it was that. My husband had to fix both ours and my brother's thermostats. Ours would only heat up one degree and shut off. His would go to 80 before it shut off. Tis the season!
Well, if the thermostat was set at 90 degrees and it is still chilly in your home, then there is definitely something wrong with either the furnace or with the thermostat in the house. Like you, I don't think that I would turn it on until it was too cold to deal with otherwise. It really could be that the issue is something as simple as the fact that the battery in your thermostat has gone out and needs to be replaced, that is what we are going through here right now, but we can't get another battery until after payday.
I would keep it at 68, except we have a new baby and I worry that will be too cold for her (she does not like being bundled up to much and it makes it harder for her to wriggle around as she is just starting the learn to crawl process) so I keep it at 72. No reason to feel stupid, but save your money. 90 is a sauna!
90 degrees is way to hot, I don't think you were wrong. It's the landlord's responsiblity to take a look at it and make the proper repairs that's why you pay rent. Let him or her handle it.
@SHAMRACK (8586)
Dear friend, Here in our place we never had any cold like that. Anyhow I feel it would be horrible to face unbearable cold. Just to take care of health. Moreover to pay the bill either in hospital or other way. Anyway one's health is wealth. May it also depends upon the tolerating which end.
@1346795 (805)
• Greece
You are not stupid. You were absolutely right. It woulb be too hot and too expensive. At last put something hotter on you and stay patient. The problem will be fixed and you want pay more. The other othe maybe had too much money!
@ebuscat (5945)
For me we are stupid already all day time so be in mind that others will get angry o what you are doing.