Mobile phones

I remember getting my first mobile (cell) phone for my 13th birthday. It was the size of a housebrick and didn't do much. It was very basic. I have had lots of phones since then, some better than others. My friends all seem to have either an iPhone or a Blackberry now. I had a nice slider phone with an mp3 on it, but I let me baby hold it when she was listening to the mp3 and she broke it. Now I have a JCB tradesman's phone, which does very little, but is virtually indestructible. It just isn't worth having a fancy phone when the kids will get hold of it, and it doesn't make much difference to me. My phone makes calls and sends text messages, and there are a couple of games on it. It also has a little torch in the top. No photos, internet etc, but I never used those things much anyway.
@bjc66bjc (6730)
Hi marianne, I just made the exact same post a couple of weeks ago...I totally agree with you...I remember my first cell phone \but it wasn't exactly the size of a housebrick....thats funny but true I am sure... My cell phone dosen't pictures either and it seem not to bother me. I only use my cell for when I am not home and have the need to reach someone at that time ..otherwise I have a landline for most of my calls. I;ve never heard of your new phone but as long as it indestructible, BINGO, who could ask for anything more....LOL... have a great week and enjoy your holidays.....
This is the one I have http://www.phoneslimited.co.uk/JCB/Tradesman+Toughphone.html
I got my first cellular phone for my birthday when I was seventeen years old and that was a phone that was only able to make phone calls and it was also a phone that we had to pay per minute that I was on the phone. I got my phone number at that time and I still have the same phone number now, fourteen years later. Well, I now have a phone that texts, calls, takes pictures, videos and can access the internet, though I really don't use many of the features very often.
@MaryLynn321 (2680)
Sounds like a nice phone. I don't have a cell phone, but did have one of those big mobile phones years back. Like you said it was nice but way to big. My granddaughter took my daughter-in-laws cell phone off of the counter in the kitchen and tried to flush it down the toilet when she was 2. Needless to say she had to get another cell phone.
@himzey (1321)
Hi marianne I too have a nokia 3220 which does very little. But I fulfill my other needs like listening songs and gaming from other gadgets like my player and lappy. I prefer features but I have kept myself from buying some expensive branded mobile phone. As long as my need is fulfilled I am happy with what I have, besides I rarely get time for multimedia stuff; well that may be one of the reasons.
@sjvg1976 (32582)
Hello marianne87, I bought my first mobile phone when i was 20 years old and was doing job.It was a MOTOROLA and a large mobile like wireless phones.Since then i have bought countless phones but since last 1~2 years i have been using this NOKIA phone its so tough that my kids have thrown it for several times on floor while playing but it still works perfectly.*hehehe*
@mohkanari (1958)
Nowadays mobile phones are unavoidable part everyday life of all persons. When I was a student even land phones were rare. But now communication isn't a problem at all. Besides providing communication facilities a lot of other functions are done by mobile phones. Thanks to scientists and technologists for their great contributions in this field.
@sender621 (14921)
The mobile phone has come a LONG way and made hige advancements in technology since my first phone. it was huge and expensive. Now trhey seems to be smalkler and do so much more and cost halef the price or more. I don't think i would want to go back to a time before the popularity of the cell phone.
Our first mobile years ago looks like a landline. It's heavy and bulky. It can make calls but can't send text messages. It can be brought anywhere so long as you have charged batteries and signal which has scarcity then. The unit sounds primitive as I describe it now; but way back then, it was something technologically innovative. Currently, if you bring the said unit with you, I bet people will just laugh at you as they would think of it as worthless; but way back then, it seems to be worth the penny as it is regarded to be valuable. In fact, ours got stolen. Perhaps now, thieves will just pass by you when they see that you are still using the old-fashioned-pretending-to-be-mobile-landline-phone. Even burglars need upgrade.
@kaichoukebz (1190)
Oh my God! I really desired to own an iPhone. I really want to have it. The only problem on it is that I have no enough money to buy it. Hope someday I can buy it. i really craved for it so much.
@Woody7189 (247)
My first cell phone was also a very simple one. The phone had only basic functions which was good enough for me at the time. I have since had many other cell phones, with each one having a few more gadgets than the previous one. I have honestly gotten to the point where I would be lost if I had a basic phone and only use smartphones.
@creationhub (3069)
I long back the times when the mobile phone was just for calling, receiving and sms. Today, most of them are so sophisticated and complicated as well. I wonder how many of us really use all the features on the phone that we paid for.
@lilaclady (28213)
I have only had a mobile phone for a few years now, I was a bit of a late starter and the only reason I got one was so the nursing home my mother was in could get in touch with me otherwise I didn't really want one but now even though I only use it for emergencies I hate going out without it.
@beki710 (949)
My first mobile was huge as well! I got mine when I was 12. It was an Ericsson (befor it become Sony Ericsson!) but I had a Cadbury's Phone Cover for it. Now I have a HTC Desire that I am completed addicted to and wouldn't be able to cope without checking my email and having internet access on it!
@tessa9 (1085)
i also had my first phone when I was thirteen. It was a birthday gift. At that time a few already have phones and stuff. I had since had I think at least seven phones. I don't like throw out a phone that I already don't use. I either give it to my cousins or sell it. I just received iPhone 4s and I think it is pretty cool. My sister have blackberry but I prefer my iPhone over her blackberry. I find the keys too small.