Would We Do It For Our Children?

@Raelove (18216)
Saco, Maine
I just watched a very well-done video about child predators which was produced by my good friend's granddaughter as her senior graduation thesis project. (The link to it is at the bottom of this post.) The theme of the short film, which runs for about 8 minutes, highlights the dangers lurking out there for the children of parents who turn a blind eye and deaf ear to the potential dangers that both cell phone and social media usage present to them. As I watched it, I couldn't help feeling sad that cell phones and social media are now so much a part of our everyday lives in some form. When I was growing up, sure, there were predators. But they had a much harder time of getting at us. There was no such thing as lurking behind a screen and luring children at all hours of the day and night. Why, even my own granddaughter texts me sometimes from school! It appears that, once their work is done, many teachers now allow their students to use their phones as long as they are quiet and don't disturb the others. I remember back when Bill Gates was celebrated as the guru of computers. Next came Steve Jobs whom some worshipped as some sort of cyber-god, but who in actuality opened the lid of a Pandora's box that has not been shut since. Throw Mark Zuckerberg, whose current wealth hovers around $35 billion, into that mix, and you have a formula for all types of evil aimed at the most innocent and naive among us--our kids--to manifest itself. Sure, these men all became obscenely rich, which I suppose is something to admire. But at what cost to society? And at what cost to our children and to our own peace of mind? Isn't it interesting that we humans, who are thought to be so superior to other forms of life, keep inventing things that bring us more trouble than they are worth? And would we, as a society, be willing to dispose of our electronics if it meant creating a safer environment for the kids we all profess to love so much? I think we all know the answer to that. There are many parents out there who do care enough to limit the intrusion of these devices into their children's lives, and who aren't so afraid of hurting their kids' feelings that they can set limits to their usage and even confiscate them if need be. Kudos to the parents who monitor their children's lives and don't merely allow their "toys" to become unwitting babysitters. Cell phones and Facebook are here to stay, and it's not so much how we use them but how much we are willing to supervise how our children use them that is at issue here. Many of us oldsters managed very nicely in a time when all we had were television, radio, and record players to keep us entertained, and a phone on the hall table on which to call our friends. There is no going back, but we can move forward with a heightened awareness as to how easy it is now for a troubled person to come forward and change our lives forever by harming just one precious child. (Public Domain Image)
This is my senior film project, which I've been working on for the past few months. It stars my sister, Lacie and shows the importance of paying attention to...
@IreneVincent (16011)
I watched the video. You did a good job. I dislike cell phones for children for that very reason.
@Raelove (18216)
• Saco, Maine
I didn't make the video. My friend's granddaugter did, and wants as many people as possible to share it. There are certain types of cell phones out that kids can only make calls on or text specific people, e.g. parents, caregivers, etc.
@mammots (3268)
Thanks for suggesting i read this dicussion.
@Raelove Well, then she did a good job. I did share it with some of my followers.
@fishtiger58 (30247)
• Momence, Illinois
I will look at your friends granddaughter's film shortly. I agree with all you have said. Those who invented these things that put kids in danger don't care one bit. As always it's about the almighty buck. My kids were not allowed on the internet except when I was standing over them and watching. They did not have internet except on my computer where I could watch them,. As for cell phones my sons didn't get their first one until they were in their 2nd year of high school and their after school activities increased. Then I got them phones for my peace of mind that I could always call them. They were also both told if you don't answer my call I take the phone away for one week for each incident. They always answered lol.
@fishtiger58 (30247)
• Momence, Illinois
@Raelove That was a very scary film they should show it to all the kids in school.
@Raelove (18216)
• Saco, Maine
@fishtiger58 I think so, too.
I will watch the video tomorrow as it is quite late here and I need to go to bed. I agree completely with your opinions although I wish mobile phones had never been invented.
@gudheart (12719)
I think too many children even at the age of 2 are using smartphones!
@Raelove (18216)
• Saco, Maine
That is definitely way too young.
@OneOfMany (12379)
A street light probably made it pretty dangerous for kids to be able to be outside later at night or even sneak out. Malls were definitely attractive places to be when they came out, and there are all sorts of things that could be added to the list. Times change, technology comes with costs and benefits, just as all things. Just as fairy tales were used as a guide against trusting strangers and identifying dangers outside of the home, perhaps modern stories of caution are needed for children growing up with cellphones and other devices. After all, there's nothing highlighting the dangers of modern society, and that's what's really needed.
@Raelove (18216)
• Saco, Maine
As intelligent thinking creatures, I don't think we need any more highlighting. I think we pretty much know what lurks out there. Question is, what do we do about it? Do we continue to turn our heads and say, "Oh well, such is life." And if someone were to create some cautionary tales, would our kids get off their phones long enough to listen to them or read them? Would their parents, many of whom are also glued to their own devices? All food for thought, if nothing else...
@OneOfMany (12379)
@Raelove That's why the tales are made into apps for those devices. And it wouldn't be a cute thing that one would laugh off. It would have to be made into something that actually highlights the need for caution. Sometimes you fight fire with fire.
@Namelesss (2033)
• Thomasville, Georgia
@OneOfMany @Raelove Scary as it is it isn't likely to change. Kids don't need fairy tales, they need the truth. I've been terrified of my kids having cell phones but I knew I had to educate them on how to use them and the dangers. It's their world now so they must be able to recognize the dangers.
The humans are the ones who are going to destroy the Earth someday.
@Raelove (18216)
• Saco, Maine
That's right. And if they get nothing else right, they will that!
• Dallas, Texas
@Raelove It would be better to not give up on the human race just yet. Yes there is evil but the good always wins out.
@Dena91 (5802)
We have a couple at church with 3 girls. The oldest going into jr high next year has asked for a phone to which they declined. They don't want their girls being like most of the rest of them and I applaud them for that. She said one day they will get electronics but not today just because all of their friends have them. That is a good video. Have a blessed day
@Raelove (18216)
• Saco, Maine
There are cell phones for kids which are very limited in what they can do, but many kids wear their parents down so that they end up getting one of the most expensive high-tech types. I know kids like that in fact, and some who've owned several such phones in their short lives. I admire parents who can resist this. Thanks.
You cannot blame the inventors of technology for how sickos misuse it. It would be like blaming the inventors of automobiles for injuries or deaths caused by bad drivers.
@Raelove (18216)
• Saco, Maine
I don't blame them at all. I blame a society that has accepted this as a way of life no matter the costs involved. This isn't a car. This is a way of life now. It is not people getting into their car for a Sunday drive. It is how people actually interact. That is far more insidious than the presence of vehicles in our lives.
@Raelove I blame the parents. Handing a child technology without boundaries is foolish.
@Raelove (18216)
• Saco, Maine
@ElizabethWallace Sadly, a lot of negative childhood behavior can be traced back to parents who, for one reason or another, aren't doing their job.
@Shiva49 (15681)
Message driven home by this incisive video. Technology cuts both ways and the good have to stay ahead of the game. Parents have to set an example by spending quality time with their kids than lament later when things go awry. Kids are under severe peer pressure too with regard to social networking - siva
@Raelove (18216)
• Saco, Maine
Yes, they are, which makes the parents' job even harder now.
• Dallas, Texas
I like your comment a lot. Very on point, @Shiva49 .
@Shiva49 (15681)
@lookatdesktop Thank you Anthony for your support. Sometimes parents don't realize the hypocrisy in how they raise their children. They don't show by example. I follow "treat others as I would like to be treated" and that soothes our soul more than any other. Action speaks louder than words - siva
@mammots (3268)
I like the video. Its scary how kids could fall into the hands of these criminals. I have to admit that i personally think that kids should be provided with their own phones especially if they are in school or going out on an outing with friends or on fieldtrips. Its easier to check on their whereabouts if they bring with them their own phones. Allowing kids to have their own phones have a lot of advantages but it cant be denied that it also has a lot of disadvantages to it.
@Raelove (18216)
• Saco, Maine
Well, there are phones made just for that purpose and that limit what kids can do on them. I think those should be more heavily promoted in this day and age if we are to rely so much on them.
@mammots (3268)
@Raelove I agree and i think constant reminders to our kids of the dangers of talking to strangers in person or on the phone would be a lot of help. I always tell my grand nephews to keep in mind incidents of rape, kidnapping and murder broadcasted on television news almost everynight. Its always good to keep kids aware of the dangers out there on the streets so they wont be too trusting and naive.
@Raelove (18216)
• Saco, Maine
@mammots When we were kids, we were told in no uncertain terms NOT to talk to strangers. Now, we can no longer even see the strangers till it's too late in some cases, so that, to me, makes it scarier.
@akalinus (27741)
I guess the only thing to do is to teach the kids how to be safe and how to recognize danger so they can avoid getting in precarious situations.
@Raelove (18216)
• Saco, Maine
Yes, because we both know that few people would be willing to go back to the "good old days" before all this technology took over our lives.
@akalinus (27741)
@Raelove That's true. You can't go back to the way it used to be.
• Dallas, Texas
@akalinus The way hackers are messing with us all, I think current forms of internet communications are self limiting and need drastic improvements in every conceivable way.
@buenavida (8976)
• Sweden
It is so important that the parents teach the children about the dangers they can meet almost anywhere
@Raelove (18216)
• Saco, Maine
Yes it is. And if this even just gets people thinking about it, then it's worth it.
Very Good Video! I was an 'over Protective' Dad when my boys were growing up, but it was not as prevalent then! I shared this in several ways because of how important the message is!
@Raelove (18216)
• Saco, Maine
Thanks, Bernie. It cannot be shared enough.
@Raelove It also brought to mind a thought for people to consider so that they are not 'oblivious'! Thus you inspired me to post my first post today!
@Raelove (18216)
• Saco, Maine
@Berniezeitler Wonderful!
@LeaPea2417 (25694)
• Toccoa, Georgia
God gave man the knowledge and ability to create computers and cell phones for man's good, but evil men have distorted what was meant for good. I just pray more and more parents will keep tabs on their children's use of these electronic devices so more kids wont be hurt by perverts.
@Raelove (18216)
• Saco, Maine
I do, too. I've recommended to the creator of this video that she find a means to show it in all the grade, intermediate, and middle schools in our area. It should also be shown to PTA's, PTO's, and any other type of parent-teacher-school group. Yes, God gives us the knowledge to do many things. But He also gave us the wisdom to use these things productively. Unfortunately, there are plenty of greedy people who never give that a thought.
@LeaPea2417 (25694)
• Toccoa, Georgia
@Raelove I just watched the video and it is very eye opening and well made. I will share it.
@Raelove (18216)
• Saco, Maine
@LeaPea2417 Thanks. That's a step in the right direction.
The older sister who bought the phone for that young girl says "be responsible' and the sister watching the younger sisters who is also seen sitting on the couch with headphones shows irresponsibility in that she did not even notice the younger sister slipping out the back door. Yep technology has not advanced in a good way especially when parents who were NOT raised in this type of social media wave, did not drown by NOT knowing every single detail about the where abouts of bored people . . .
@Raelove (18216)
• Saco, Maine
So true. However did we manage to survive when all we had was ourselves to worry about?
@Raelove I think it helped us mature from within using internal influence rather than accepting so much about ourselves in light of the external influences-- i.e. other peoples views telling her she was 'cute' and how it made her light up on the inside . . .
@gofsey (1599)
• Madurai, India
Thanks for putting me through. I liked reading about it.
Your granddaughter did a wonderful as well as her sister. My son had a phone, but he could barely use it for games (his primary source of entertainment) and then he jumped in the lake with it in his pocket. We got him another, but after a couple months, it stopped working (no returns and no insurance) so he has been without a phone for a couple years. He does get on the computer and plays minecraft and uses skype, but I downloaded kidlogger, which is the best thing ever. This software takes not only screenshots, but also record skype and I have caught a couple things (not stranger things, but he had gone to sites he knows I disapprove of) and he knows about kidlogger, and his friends do too. So for the most part, everyone behaves.
Oh, and another thing. I have seen two videos on Facebook, one was for girls, where the parent gave permission for this guy to interact with their daughter and set up a meeting or has this person go to their home. Of course once it is clear the child was in danger (which she really wasn't' since it was a set up) the parent comes in and says things like "Haven't I told you about strangers..." and of course the girl is upset, whether because she was caught or realized how easy it was and that she could have been kidnapped or worse. Then recently they did one for the boys, one of which was my son's age. He has watched both videos and I turned to him and said, "You know, if you ever try to meet with someone, it could be very dangerous, it would be real and someone will take you, or it could be me, setting you up. And you won't know, so you better not try" I think he got the message. Don't know, maybe I will set him up, just to see.
@Raelove (18216)
• Saco, Maine
It was my friend's granddaughter who made the video. And we can't share it, and others like it, enough.
@Raelove Oops, I read that, but after watching the video, I forgot and thought it was your granddaughter. So what do you mean you can't share it?
@inertia4 (27931)
Honestly I don't think anyone of those tech giants could be blamed for this. Child predators have been around long before cellphones. However I do agree with the fact that parents need to be more proactive in limiting their child's usage of these devices. They do have apps and software that will allow limits on children. Steve Jobs was and still is a tech god in my eyes. But I also know that Apple thought of both sides of what these devices can do. No one can blame the children nor the tech companies. The parents are the ones that need to do what needs to be done to protect their children with this modern technology. It is not evil in anyway. I love my tech devices and always will. So do my kids. I do monitor what mysids do and they are fine with it so far.
@Raelove (18216)
• Saco, Maine
I don't think I blamed them, but rather mentioned their roles in the greater scheme of things. But did any of them even suspect the ramifications of the expanded use of their technology? Probably not. And would they have cared if they had suspected? That's debatable, if nothing else.
@inertia4 (27931)
@Raelove Every invention is relative really. There are great positives and there are also negatives as a result. We do have to expect that. Advancements are not always perfect or run smooth. There are drawbacks. But they do deal with drawbacks with new technology. If it weren't the internet or social media it would've been something else. The parents need to be more proactive.
@Raelove (18216)
• Saco, Maine
@inertia4 Yes, they do. And I'm not sure I'd call everything we do as an "advancement." It just isn't in all cases, as it creates more problems than it solves.
@PatZAnthony (13835)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
Many seem to encourage or allow their children to grow up too quickly. The adult world can wait-no rush needed!
@Raelove (18216)
• Saco, Maine
Yes, and many adults expect adult-level decision-making skills from kids.
• Merced, California
@Raelove This world is not safe anymore for our children i feel like we should move to outer space.
@Raelove (18216)
• Saco, Maine
@davidalicea100 Where's the guarantee that we wouldn't bring all our negative behavior there with us?
I do believe this world will come to an end one day due to technology. Eventually, one push of a button and it will be the end of all life on earth. It is a shame that we must all be hyper-vigilant these days to protect our children, ourselves and others.
@Raelove (18216)
• Saco, Maine
It's the world we have all helped to create, unfortunately, by our participation in the new technology. I'm sitting here typing on a laptop, and I own a cell phone, albeit an ancient one by today's standards. So I am not anymore exempt than anyone else.
@Raelove Sadly, neither am I. I am getting to the point where new technology is leaving me stymied though. I mean after a year I should have that navigation system figured out on that car of mine.
@Raelove (18216)
• Saco, Maine
@Corbin5 I'm drawing the line at a smart phone. I still have an old dinosaur that doesn't do much. Good enough for me.
@cherriefic (5213)
Technology is invented to make things easier for everybody literally.
@Raelove (18216)
• Saco, Maine
But that is not always the outcome. Making it easier for predators to get at our children is, to me, not a good thing.
• Dallas, Texas
Only a handful of them are getting rich while we are being financially stressed by it.