5 English Words That Begin With “AB” … “BA”

Letters A and B
Austin, Texas
Every new year, one of my New Year's resolutions always includes enhancing my vocabulary. I say that I am going to learn a new word each day. But that never happens. However, when you can't get the Internet … it's time to peruse a dictionary and learn some new words to occupy your time. (Either that or clean the house! ) My Internet was out long enough for me to produce a series of posts. Figured since I was learning new words and since this is a global community where many members don't speak English as their first language, they might have fun learning these new words too! Although these may not be conversational words, knowing them might be useful if you're playing Scrabble or some other word game with your English-speaking friends. Here is the first set of words. 5 English Words That Begin With “AB” … “BA” * * * abattoir – a slaughterhouse abnegate – to give up (rights, claims, etc.; to renounce) abscissa – (math term) horizontal distance of a point from a vertical axis abstruce (or abstruse) – hard to understand abut – to border (on or upon) babushka – scarf worn by a woman over her hair and tied under the chin (Russian for "grandmother") badinage – playful teasing or joking baize – thick woolen cloth used for coverings; coarse, feltlike woolen cloth barathea – fine woolen cloth, sometimes interwoven with silk and/or cotton bathysphere – large spherical steel chamber, able to withstand great pressure, used for deep-sea observation
• Israel
The only word I understood from there is babushka. That is a Yiddish word. Thank you for the new words and English is my mother tongue. I am was in the middle reading group and my English like my Hebrew is not fluent.
• Austin, Texas
Thanks. I had fun finding out the meanings of these words.
• Israel
@cmoneyspinner I am glad for you cmoneyspinner.
For a moment, I thought your post was about ABBA lol!
• Austin, Texas
That's so funny! I noticed that after hit the publish button.
@lovebuglena (12773)
• Staten Island, New York
Don't know any of these words except for Babuskha in Russian.
@rina110383 (23969)
In my legal documents, I usually use waive one's rights. So abnegate is also a good alternative.
@Inlemay (17243)
• South Africa
abdicate - barista