Bag Fund - Saving $ in a Jar

The old me would splurge on a new bag any day, but now there are other priorities especially since we want to settle down and have a home of our own within the next year. Now, I think its more fun saving up for a bag with spare change. We don't often use cash, but when we do - the change & coins gets tossed into the jar. It's been almost a month, and I probably collected $75. At this rate, it would probably take me 2 years, but all well. My fiancé asked if I gave up yet and just go buy the bag instead. I told him, no. I don't really need the bag. As a jump starter from my fiancé - he added $20. By the time I reach my goal, I would probably end up getting what is more practical, which is a new laptop though. Time will tell.
@Plethos (12958)
who knows, maybe that bag fund will end up buying a diaper bag in the future.
Hahah NOOOOOOOO!! Not yet!
@Plethos (12958)
@infatuatedbby - you never know.
@Plethos Hahha I think not. But yeah never know
@sunrisefan (24124)
When I went to the mall this morning, I brought the 5 cents, 10 cents and 25 cents and had then changed at the Customer Service counter :)
Do you have to sort for them like roll it up? Here we do or else they charge.
@sunrisefan (24124)
@infatuatedbby No, we don't need to roll up the coins. This morning, I went to the supermarket at the mall to buy something and brought another batch of 0.25 coins which I placed in a plastic bag. The cashier was thankful that I brought in my coins because they really need them for loose change. I brought along P35 worth of the 0.25 coins and added 5 pieces of one peso coins to make it P40 so that the girl could give me two P20 bills :)
@sunrisefan (24124)
@infatuatedbby Our Central Bank encourages people not to keep coins at home and also encourages us to bring the coins either to the banks or the business establishments (especially malls) so they can be in circulation and thus prevent the shortage of coins resulting in more spending for the minting of coins if there is shortage in its circulation.
@minx267 (15132)
• Hartford, Connecticut
That's cool. I don't use cash enough to save that much money... It would literally take me forever.
I don't carry cash often so this month I don't know how much I added in yet. :P
@minx267 (15132)
• Hartford, Connecticut
@infatuatedbby well anything is better than me.. i should start doing that
@minx267 I use cards cause I pay them off at the of the month & get cash back
@moffittjc (56525)
• Gainesville, Florida
I don't use cash that often either, but when I do all my spare change (coins and ones) go into a jar. I have no idea what I'm saving for, but I figured I'll cross that bridge once the jar gets full. haha
I don't like using cash. I don't like the coins and spare cash. Not to mention money is dirty & full of germs lol
@moffittjc (56525)
• Gainesville, Florida
@infatuatedbby I never use cash, because when I have cash I want to spend it all! lol
@moffittjc I dislike cash =) I feel when I use cards, I can check our spendings best!
That's a great idea. As you know, I carry a lot of cash a lot as I've mentioned that in my previous discussions. These days it's impossible not fo find less than $100 in my pocket but that's not enough to buy the bags and watches that I like. I consider a $100 as loose change actually. I like your idea though. Actually this month I want to save and live a simple life and do away with branded items. But Charriol watches are really screaming at me and I am so tempted but I have to control myself. Really have to control myself and this post of yours just reminded me of that.
I don't use cash because I don't get anything for it but when I use my credit cards, I get a percentage back Every few months, I can get cash back and I pay every month so I don't owe anything, a win win situation. The spare change are the bills and coins for me. We don't carry cash. Hehe. There are lots of tempting things I want to buy/do. But it'll wait. I don't really need them.
@infatuatedbby We hardly have that here, I mean the cash back when using credit cards. I use my cards for online purchases that doesn't have COD or for expensive items only. Anything that's more than $400, I use my card.
@toniganzon We do not have COD available here. But yes, that's primarily why I use credit card, we have cash back or loyalty program with department stores for better savings, so I use credit cards for that reason. :) Otherwise if I have no benefits, I would too use cash.
I do have a jar and keep the coins for future usage.
A few months ago, my mom wrapped the coins to exchange for cash for me. :) I usually do it when the jar is full. It's only about a 1" of coins so it'll be a little while til' I have to do that.
@infatuatedbby I also do the same thing, my friend. Once I had collected a lot of these coins, I asked the local stores to change in paper money.
@Shavkat Yes, here we have to wrap it ourselves in the money rolls to exchange (for new fee) or you can drop all the coins in the machine but they take a percentage fee.
@porwest (15684)
I love tossing coins into a jar and do it the same way. When I use cash and get change back I always put it into a jar. I also keep a clip in my dresser drawer and put dollars there. I don't always save the dollars, but when I accumulate a few from breaking larger bills I figure why not?
That's handy to keep a clip =) I don't like dollar bills, its my less used bill =)
@porwest (15684)
@infatuatedbby I like ALL money. I don't care if it is useful. I care if it is spendable or investable.
@porwest Yes all money is money. Just dollar bills do not fit well in my wallet =)
My neighbor is saving up two 2liter bottles for us each. I pass her spare change and the bottle gets dimes in it. The bottles will total over 500$
That is a lot of money (adds up!)
@infatuatedbby oh yeah and we decided all change minus the pennies. I will cash them in.
@sharon6345 that is great
@renicemae (3760)
I'd prefer laptop than a bag though May you reach your goals
My laptop is still in working condition, I think its 5 years old now? :) I do ideally want a new one..
@renicemae (3760)
@infatuatedbby mine's almost 9 years and my laptop's performance is now slow, sometimes lagging and freezes. I also need a new one but not now. I think I need to save money in a jar too
@renicemae Heheheh =) I do just want a back up. I am sure this laptop can last much longer.
@id_peace (8785)
That is cool. I am going to get another laptop next month.
That is awesome. Do you have a laptop in mind you want to get?
@id_peace (8785)
I don't. So long as it is functional, i can do with any.
@id_peace That works out! :) Happy shopping for your new laptop soon.
@zarlamain (25154)
What bag are you saving for - if you don't mind me asking? That $20 was a great jump starter! Good luck!
I have no clue. :) Nothing set in stone yet
@zarlamain (25154)
@infatuatedbby Good luck!
@JustBhem (55301)
• Davao, Philippines
That's a wonderful idea. I also thinking about saving but I only have PayPal where I save some of my earnings from mylot and some other task online.
I usually transfer funds in my paypal to bank since there is no fee.
@JustBhem (55301)
• Davao, Philippines
@infatuatedbby Oh yes, Paypal is so handy, no hassle at all.
@JustBhem Yep Paypal is useful :)
@caopaopao (12416)
It is good to save money to buy more practical things. I believe sooner or later you will get what you want to buy.
Yeah, I am actually waiting for a promotion in September for the laptop :) In September there is an Apple sale where you'd get a $100 discount on laptops if you have a student ID
@caopaopao (12416)
@infatuatedbby That would be a good opportunity.
@caopaopao yep I always wait until september because of the deal.. its not much but better than nothing
@rakski (33699)
I alao have some coin savings.
Any plans on what to do?
@rakski (33699)
@infatuatedbby just future savings. We need all the savings we can get for future travels.
@rakski Oh yes I remember seeing about your husbands passport ordeal.
@cintol (10776)
Its fun to save and watch that money grow, I never find anything that I really want so mine is just staying in the jar. Good luck with your savings I ho[e you are able to get what you want.
That is good to save money in the jar. :) Mine is just still collecting. I always change my mind so we'll see.
@cintol (10776)
@infatuatedbby Well at least its there when you need it!
@cintol That is correct.!
• Defuniak Springs, Florida
I rarely have cash either
Yeah I don't like carrying cash..
• Defuniak Springs, Florida
@infatuatedbby its just easier to use my card lol
@thislittlepennyearns Same here. I also like getting cash back :)
@katsmeow1213 (28926)
$75 isn't enough for a bag?? What kind of bags do you buy? Ok, I did get a Coach bag once, but hubby bought it for me for Christmas, he got it at the Outlet mall and it was on sale.. he paid like $120 for it. I didn't use it for long, it got dirty and I put it away. I don't even know where it is now. Now I use a little Coach wristlet that I probably paid $50 for. I do need another bag because the wallet just isn't enough.
Right now I have been into crossbody bags, my go to bags right now that I switch up is between my Kate Spade & Rebecca Minkoff. I was all for Michael Kors then I stopped liking the quality - I sold them all except a tote bag, some wallets, wristlets and clutch. I really should start selling the wallets though. I have 2 LV's, some Coach & Dooney + Bourke and a Burberry. I use my bags then eventually sale them because I don't like them anymore. I don't know what bag I want right at this moment..
@infatuatedbby Wow! When I have one it's just the single one that I use. I never have more than one.
@katsmeow1213 Oh! I love bags! And shoes!
@Jessabuma (32809)
• Baguio, Philippines
I have a piggy bank and I always save money on it.. I love saving
I like to save too when I can.
@Jessabuma (32809)
• Baguio, Philippines
@infatuatedbby yes. It's good to have savings
@kepweng (24361)
thats a Lot of dollar is that your Own photo?
Yes that is my photo.
It those coins add up over time.
It sure does. :)