If you can't park, you shouldn't be driving - period!!

If one can't pull into an empty parking spot & properly park, then they shouldn't be driving - simple as that. My fiancé & I went to go to lunch. As we parked, there was a lady having difficulties parking. She wasn't old, I'd say early 40's & there was NO car to her left & right. She had trouble parking - kept pulling in, getting out, her parking was double parked & diagonal. Many witnesses, but no one offered to help because who knows, you can tell her stop and she hits the gas instead. She ended up asking if we'd assist her. Well, consider me rude or not, but I'm sorry if you can't park straight especially with no cars on either side, seriously - you shouldn't be on the road driving. Even if someone helped her, I highly doubt she'd get out without hitting a car. Eventually she gave up & left. What would you do?
If you cannot park in American parking lots you surely should not be allowed driving. I would like to see her "side parking" the car.
If she cannot pull in a parking spot with no cars on her left/right & the parking lot was spacious and not at a busy time, then nope she needs to go back home and practice more. I am not good at parallel parking but luckily cars have back up cameras now.
@infatuatedbby Parallel parking is a pain, especially when the space is very limited, thing that happens all the time here in Europe. I hated parallel parking when I learned to drive, I am glad I do not drive.
@LadyDuck I am horrible at it and do not have to luckily or very rare that I do =)
@minx267 (15228)
• Hartford, Connecticut
WOW.. How can you screw that up? it's probably a good thing there were NO cars on either side of her..
NO CARS AT ALL. I don't know how can one screw that up either.
@minx267 (15228)
• Hartford, Connecticut
@infatuatedbby nope. i wonder if she EVEN had a license?.. i didn't think you can get one with out knowing that basic skill!
@minx267 I am assuming she probably has a permit. No way can she drive if she cannot pull in a parking spot with no cars on both sides. Plenty of room, drove a regular Honda CRV SUV (not big)......
Uhm, I would have helped her. That's just the way we are here whenever someone is in need of help. I would rather see someone asking for help, than pretending they can do it and then would get angry when they hit another car and blame others for that. Because there are a lot of people here who pretend they could drive when they actually couldn't and that includes parking and not observing traffic rules and regulations simply because they really don't know much about driving. However, I share the same opinion with you that if you can't park, then you shouldn't be driving because you are putting risk to others.
I would help guide if its a difficult spot to pull in but the parking spot was as wide as you can get plus, no cars on either side. Had someone helped her in, how would she pull out? There are some people who scam you here - where they ask for your help then blame you (if something happens) and I don't want to deal with anything like that. She needs more practice. We've helped people jump start (even with groceries in the car) that is no problem and also we were given nice people to help us jumpstart our car when we were in need.
@infatuatedbby Yeah that's why I said that's the way it is here. Parking is much more difficult than getting out of it actually. So I don't think she'll have any problems doing so.
@toniganzon Yes :) We have it much easier and with space. I've seen in movies and clips of Vietnam and even the Philippines very tight spaces and tons of traffic.
@nomus24g (28619)
no comments
hahah why not
@nomus24g (28619)
@infatuatedbby actually I know somebody like this...
@nomus24g oh no -_-
@sprite1950 (14434)
• Corsham, England
That is bad. I wouldn't say I was the world's best parker but I can get my car neatly into a parking space provided there is enough room. Was she reverse parking? I wonder how she passed her test!
I am not perfect but I can park. If I can't park, I will be able to reverse and fix myself though.
@sprite1950 (14434)
• Corsham, England
@infatuatedbby Yes it took me a while to get it right but with practice most people learn to park safely without hitting other cars.
@sprite1950 Of course, practice is key :) I've never hit any cars.
@YrNemo (16551)
I would have helped for sure. People can't park for many reasons I think. The fact that they tried to drive and got there in one piece is already an achievement.
That is nice of you! In my opinion is if they cannot park where there is plenty of space on both sides and she's not driving a super large car or truck then she can do it on herself. It wouldn't be safe to always get assistance. She needs more practice.
@YrNemo (16551)
@infatuatedbby From what you described above, it must have been a bit hilarious there. I wonder why she couldn't park in such an easy spot. (Some of my relatives get into a panic easily, the moment they thought they were being watched, that was it, they couldn't do anything right anymore. Funny but at the same time a real pity.)
@YrNemo Many just watched. I am sure they giggled. The security guard nearby was like "seriously"? I don't know if she panicked, but she was sure causing a scene cause her car was diagonal crossing over 2 lanes when there isn't any cars left or right of her. If I can't get in a parking spot, I would try a different one. If it is hard.. sometimes it could be because a car is crossing a lane or, the parking lot is snug but it was not the problem for this women. :P
@moffittjc (56976)
• Gainesville, Florida
Nothing upsets me more than people who can't drive! And the worst are those who can't even park! In your situation, the lady couldn't pull in to park; the situation I most encounter is people who can't back out of a parking spot. They're even worse than those who can't pull in. I mean, it shouldn't take someone 17 minutes to back out of a parking spot!!!!! And the craziest thing is, it's usually people who are in the smallest cars. You'd think it would be easy to back a small car out of a parking spot, but apparently not...at least with these idiot drivers!
Couldn't help but laugh I drive a sedan and I have a hard time parallel parking, but now with the rear view camera - IT IS much easier, but still will take me a couple go's but I can do it! Not that I want to, but I can if I have to. And in this case, nope she couldn't pull forward into the parking spot. No cars to the left and right of her (super spacious parking lots too). I couldn't help.................. no one did and she left. Hopefully back home. They won't learn if someone always helps. It is NOT safe to be on the road if you cannot park. How can you pull out if you can't park!
@moffittjc (56976)
• Gainesville, Florida
@infatuatedbby I scratch my head every day wondering how some drivers were able to get a driver's license. It's both comical and sad at the same time.
@moffittjc It really is especially when they're driving in a busy city too!
I don't know how she passed for the licence. We have driving tests before granting of driving licence but yes it happens in my country as well.
Yeah I have no clue either or if she only has a permit. She needs to put more practice in.
@infatuatedbby Yes. Otherwise it can be dangerous for her life or others life.
@anamika161088 Yep it is putting others at danger as well as herself.
I say this all the time! as there are many around here, and visitors too, who are always parked over the lines and what not. mad annoying, cuz then we have to find somewhere else to park, that's usually further from the buildings.
If I see an already parked car that is not properly parked - I won't go near them. Chances are they'd do a crappy job getting out also. This women couldn't pull in with no cars beside her and needed help - well she needs to go back and practice.
@infatuatedbby right. that's kinda sad.
@Courtlynn Yeah it was. She kept getting in and out of her car to check and it was a crappy job. Had there been cars actually there she would definitely had hit cars
My mother finally got her license when I had my kids and had to ask people to help her pull in and out of parking spaces. After she sideswiped a row of parked cars, she gave up. My father was right in not allowing her to drive.
Oh no! :( I am sure with more practice she would be alright.. This women either had a permit or just started driving because she was not strong at it. But there was no cars on the left or right. She needs more practice and I wasn't wiling to help because it's dangerous if the lady cannot pull in a parking spot with no cars on either side (which is quite rare!)
@infatuatedbby My mother was a lost cause. LOL! That lady and my mother were both rarities in the driving world.
@DianneN Hehehhe Definitely one of a kind!
I think you are right. Especially driving a car seems so important in your country and there are many cars drive fast in the highway everyday. I am not sure how Americans learn the driving. Here we have to learn it from the driving school. Of course you have to learn how to park the car in different positions. It is one part of the driving lessons. And you have to pass the exam and it all sense by the digital devices only. So it is really not easy to pass it. I think it is still good as driving is not a joke.
It depends on what age you get a drivers license here. I got mine when I was young. I took a drivers ed class for a couple weeks, passed that then got my permit (written test) at 15 and half. Then, I had to get driving lessons , x amount of hours then when I was 16, I was able to take my drivers test (driving with an instructor at the DMV) then pass and get a drivers license. But there are people who wait until they're 18, take the test and be self taught. No need for driving lessons from a professional (so I think that's where the problem comes).
@infatuatedbby Here self taught is not allowed because you can't drive without a driving license. You have to pass four kinds of exams so that you can finally get your license. It may even last a year or more.
@youless self taught after getting a written test passing score.
@katsmeow1213 (28926)
Um... I'm bad at parking I always park rather diagonal in a spot. I feel like I"m straight, but I never am. Not sure why. I can drive just fine.. but for some reason I can't pull into a parking spot straight. I do drive a big van though... not like it's some tiny little car.
That is completely understandable since you drive a big van. The woman drove a small SUV, Honda CRV to be exact and literally brand new! I do prefer to pull in a diagonal parking lot than a straight one too. But these straight parking lots were very spacious and with no cars beside her. She can pull out and in to adjust, but she couldn't do so herself..
@infatuatedbby Yeah IDK I'm just bad at pulling in straight. I usually do have to correct myself a few times then I feel silly for doing it. Thankfully hubby and I work together now so we tend to carpool and he drives.
@katsmeow1213 Glad it works out that you're able to carpool & he drives. :) I like being a passenger more too.
I would have kept going. I am mean.
@infatuatedbby You mean? With that innocent face!
@JohnRoberts Yep! I was a cranky person , haven’t ate breakfast / lunch and it was already 1pm So we’re not stopping to help someone who can’t park, park
@dodo19 (36854)
• Beaconsfield, Quebec
I think you're probably right. If she can't park with no other cars in the parking lot, it might just be best for her to stop driving all together. She's one of many. There are so many people around here, who shouldn't be driving.
Not that she cannot drive ever again, but She needs more practice before going on the road.
@dodo19 (36854)
• Beaconsfield, Quebec
@infatuatedbby She certainly needs practice.
@dodo19 Most definitely.
@hereandthere (37669)
i agree that in that situation it's better to wait for her to ask for help, but i also think security should have stepped in. here, what i wish for is, people who have 2-3 cars should have the garage/parking space for it.
I think many are scared of what could happen. She did not look like she was capable of driving well, so if something happened whose fault would it be? Homes do not have garages there?
@infatuatedbby homes have gotten smaller so they park in front of their house, or someone else's
@hereandthere Yeah I do not like it when people park in front of our home. Even though it is allowed but I would prefer them to park at their place first..
@Sreekala (32600)
May be she is not a good driver and just completed her driving course. I can't do anything as I do not know how to drive. I simply watch and enjoy.
I don’t know how she passed. Perhaps she has a learners permit Many just watched too because if she can’t pull in like that ... how can she pull out?
@Sreekala (32600)
@infatuatedbby No way indeed.
@Sreekala Better to not help her and she gets the idea. She ended up leaving hopefully back home!
@Jessabuma (32809)
• Baguio, Philippines
She needs to learn more on how to drive.
She needs more practice.
@Jessabuma (32809)
• Baguio, Philippines
@infatuatedbby yes I agree with you
I guess some people drive who really shouldn't be. Pulling into a parking space like that shouldn't be difficult. I dont' know if I wold have helped her
Given that there were no cars on both sides of her, it's a big amount of space to pull in. If its a tight spot and I know there is difficulty, I certainly would help. But.. she needs practice. If everywhere she goes, she gives up and just asks how will she learn?
I might have helped her but I would not park my car near hers.
We parked far from here. We were actually going to pull in near her since it was closest to the place but she was having difficulty ..
I always believe parking is an art which has to be learnt along with driving.
Absolutely, practice is key.