What a Fine Mess This Happens to Be

We have an all-brick house. The bricks are cream-colored. I saw some rust spots on a few of the cream-colored bricks, and I decided those little rust spots could not stay. I tried Calcium Lime Rust, more commonly known as CLR, on those bricks due to the fact that the label on CLR clearly states "removes rust from bricks." No, it doesn't!! My next try was Barkeeper's Friend, a powdery cleanser that contains oxalic acid. I stirred water into 1 cup of Barkeeper's Friend to make a paste. With my paste in hand, I applied the paste to every little rust spot on a brick I could find. I let the Barkeeper's Friend-plus-water paste sit on each brick rust spot for 20 minutes. I used the garden hose to remove the paste from each brick, and the rust spots were gone! Success! My dad's car, which we sold a few weeks ago, sat in our driveway for a month before it was sold. Dad's 2004 car left rust spots all over the left side of the concrete driveway. I thought, "If the paste I made by combining Barkeepers Friend mixed with water removed rust from the bricks, it will remove the rust spots from our driveway too! I did apply the Barkeeper's Friend paste to each rust spot on the driveway. I waited 20 minutes, and then use the garden hose to remove the paste from the driveway. The rust spots were all gone, but 14 white spots now appear on our gray concrete driveway. Apparently, the Bar Keeper's Friend removed the rust spots, but perhaps it also removed the sealer from the driveway. Darn! Darn! Darn! I don't even know if concrete driveways are sealed after installation. I am hoping time, dirt, rain, snow, or ice will get rid of those highly-noticeable 14 white spots on the left side of our driveway because our driveway now looks really weird. Photo: A few of many white spots.
You may be able to power wash those spots away, I don't know if it will work or not, but its worth a try.
I do have a power washer, and if I did the whole driveway, perhaps it would be all one color. It is one huge driveway, though, and I may just hire someone to handle that big job.
@Corbin5 We used to do ours every year because the neighbours had a messy maple tree that hung over our cement, and it tainted the colour of the cement a light grey.
@Juliaacv I think pressure washing may be the solution. I will give that a try.
Yikes! That sure is noticeable!
Yes, and there are more of those too. Uncle Joe said I just removed the grime from the driveway, so maybe I need to go out there and stomp some dirt into those white spots.
@Corbin5 hmm. Maybe!
@HazySue (34199)
• Inverness, Florida
Oh dear. Hopefully as you said, time will even out the color. If not the only thing I can think of is to have the driveway painted and resealed.
I think I might buy a can of driveway sealer at Home Depot, try it on one spot, and if that results in a match, then I can do the same to the other spots, Otherwise, nature or a pro may be the solution. I am hoping winter snow, ice, and dirt do the trick.
@HazySue (34199)
• Inverness, Florida
@Corbin5 You never know nature just might take cake of the problem.
Maybe time will fix it. Maybe a sun tan. It probably is only really noticeable to you, but you might put some kitty litter clay type on it and scrub it in.
I think the kitty litter just may work. I have a power washing, and I used to do all the power washing of concrete in our last house, but I think I am going to need some help with that these day.
have the drive way sealed and this will take care of it.Or ask the person who does this any suggestion. Or check it online.
I wonder if I bought a can of driveway sealer and tried it on one of the spots? If the sealer resulted in a match, then I could do all the spots. I think I will try that.
• Israel
@Corbin5 What is good you found a solution to one thing and then it left another problem. That is too bad. I see the spots in the picture.
Oh, there are a lot of those white spots. I am hoping, over time, those spots will get dirty again and match the concrete.
• Israel
@Corbin5 Do they look like they are fading or matching the concrete at all?
@Hannihar No, no fading yet, but we haven't had any rain or wind, so may dirty rain would make them darker.
Concrete driveways are usually not sealed after installation. I think that dirt, rain and snow should cover the white spots in a matter of months.
I think you are right. I could stomp some dirt into those white spots to speed things up a bit.
@Corbin5 In my opinion it should work.
@LadyDuck Will give it a try on one of the smaller white spots. Hope that works.
I don't think concrete is sealed after but some things like rock salt erode the cement. Looks like you will either have to deal with these white spots or do the whole driveway now so it will match
I think I will live with the white spots and hope the weather will dirty them up a bit. I have a pressure washer, but that would be one huge job due to the length of that driveway. Maybe I should just rub dirt on the spots each day. Someone suggested grinding some cat litter into those spots. Owning a home sure is a lot of work.
@Corbin5 hmm actually I bet used wet coffee grounds would work better then cat litter. Dirt though too would work I bet.
@shaggin Oh yes, the coffee grounds would stain the white. Brilliant. Will give that a try today and let you know. :We have those wet coffee grounds right in that coffee filter today.
@rakski (38997)
oh gosh! I hope in time it will get back to its old color.
I do too. It looks rather funny right now.
@rakski (38997)
@Corbin5 that is true
At least the rust is gone. Time will take care of getting it back to normal coloring.
I hope time will do it. I could stomp some dirt into those white spots and see if that works.
@Corbin5 You could, and it would probably help.
@mlgen1037 (29491)
• Manila, Philippines
Hi Deborah. Please pardon me for laughing. I am imagining those spots in your driveway. It looks like there was an instant decoration in there.
Hi Louise!! Perhaps I could tell others that the white spots are decorative accents. I will also say that white spots on a driveway are a new trend. There, that helps!!
@mlgen1037 (29491)
• Manila, Philippines
@Corbin5 Haha. Thank you, Deborah. It is also the "in" thing today.
The driveway will eventually loo the same all throughout.
I am hoping so. Maybe I could grind some dirt into those spots to speed things up a bit.
@Corbin5 good luck.
I bet time does fix that. A few storms might make it not even noticeable, like you said. It is frustrating though, I'm sure.
I think you are right, my friend. Your post sure had a pretty picture of you. You are a beautiful lady!
@Corbin5 Thank you.
@UncleJoe (15959)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
I was in the concrete business for a number of years and can assure you from the picture that your driveway was not sealed. Not only did you remove the rust stains, your procedure also removed ground in dirt and oils. If you want it all to look the same you need to apply that process to the whole driveway.
When I saw your notification, I knew you would have the answer I needed!!! I just knew it!!! I am going to need 50 cans of Barkeeper's Friend!!!
@august18 (3963)
• Tunisia
@Corbin5 I'm glad you finally found a solution.
@kepweng (26312)
hope everything is fine
I think with time, the white spots will go away. I hope so.
@porwest (19400)
You seem to be in a conundrum. lol
Yes, and I am hoping nature darkens those spots over time. I could pressure wash the entire driveway, been there and done that in the past, and it is too much work.
@quantum2020 (10760)
• Ciudad De Mexico, Mexico
You tried the Barkeeper's Friend and fortunatelly it worked. THe white spots do not look as bad as they seem, you could apply the Barkeeper's Friend to all the wall and it will look white and new, I think
It is a very long concrete driveway. Maybe I could go out there and sprinkle the driveway with Barkeeper's Friend when it is raining. The neighbor's may think I am nuts, but just may give that a try.
@Poppylicious (10977)
Best laid plans ... still, at least the same didn't happen to the house!!
If white spots had formed on the bricks, my house would be the oddest house in the neighborhood. They always say, "Test an area first before continuing." I did not do that. Rats!
hmm, I guess the color of the new driveway is white, but when time is gone, it become dark.
I think over time, the spots may go away if enough dirt and grime lands on the driveway. I hope so.
In time they will blend in.
That is what Uncle Joe said, and he did do concrete work, so that made me feel better. MyLot sure is a great place for help when a person is in a pickle. How are your mom and dad, my friend?