Grandma

@sabtraversa (13350)
Italy
There can be more motherly figures than the mother herself. Sometimes, these people are even closer than mothers. She could be your aunt, your grandma or even someone who is not blood-related. As my mother had health issues, some due to birth complications, the lady I had the closest during my very early months and years was my maternal grandmother. Being the daughter's daughter and the first granddaughter altogether, we had a special bond. We still do, perhaps. She's still alive, but her health condition is very poor. She's relatively young, 76, but she can't walk, see and hear well. That also has a huge impact on her mental health. You can imagine how lonely and isolated she feels. She'd love to interact with others, but it's really hard for her to do so. She sleeps most of the day. She lives with her husband, my grandpa, whose health isn't good either, yet he manages to look after her and himself. Sure, they aren't alone, my mother still takes care of them by visiting a few times a month. I lost most of the bond I had with grandma, because of this. Time gets in the way and causes changes and troubles. However, I can't forget what my grandma has always been for me. She can't, either. Her eyes become full of joy whenever she sees me. Well, once she recognizes me. I can't blame her, I really look like my mother. But I feel so sorry when I look at her. I wish we could be closer and able to talk. Thankfully, she didn't lose her sense of humor. She often comes up with good jokes and repartees. Grandma: I like Sabrina's t-shirt. Grandpa: But look, it has skulls and bones all around. Grandma: I like it. Grandpa: But it has skulls and bones, like those of death. Grandma: Who cares, we're all going to die someday. I like it. No picture, as there's plenty of text already.
• Svalbard And Jan Mayen
I miss my late grandma, and she took care of all of us single-handedly. Well, almost everyone.
@sabtraversa (13350)
@ihasaquestion Wow, she was surely one strong woman to be proud of. A good example.
• Svalbard And Jan Mayen
@sabtraversa Yep. All 12 kids by herself. A real Wonder Woman.
@sabtraversa (13350)
@ihasaquestion 12?! Definitely.
I'm glad you were able to have that bond with your Grandmother. and that you can still light up her life when you go around. My closest women in my life were my Mother and then my Grandmother. And I am a non-blood related aunt to many kids, who feel like I am a mother figure to them. its so good for kids to have that love, care and support.
@sabtraversa (13350)
@Courtlynn Thanks. That is true, humans are very sociable and tend to create familiar environments even with those who aren't blood-related.
@sabtraversa sure do.
You really do bring your dear grandmother so much joy. So glad Grandma still has a sense of humor.
@sabtraversa (13350)
@Corbin5 Indeed, she wants to reciprocate the good vibes she receives with her humor, that's a great thing.
@JustBhem (61045)
• Davao, Philippines
Through this, I miss my GrandMa too. She is also sick but she manages to live.
@sabtraversa (13350)
@JustBhem I think some people manage to live, in spite of their health, because they have a purpose. I often wonder what that purpose could be.
@JustBhem (61045)
• Davao, Philippines
@sabtraversa Me too. I am still searching for my own purpose.
@JustBhem (61045)
• Davao, Philippines
@sabtraversa Yeah, I remember you are good at it.
• Calgary, Alberta
If my grandma saw me wearing a shirt with skulls, she will hit me with a frying pan and accuse me of being a satanist. Then she will pray to jesus for having a disappointing devil worshipping grandson.
@sabtraversa (13350)
@CaptAlbertWhisker My grandma is very religious as well, that's the funny thing, but I think she surrendered to her daughter and granddaughter's "Satanism".
• Calgary, Alberta
@sabtraversa My grandma thinks I am satanist because I am a goth. She have no idea how many Goth devout Christians are there. Also Pastors wear black.
@sabtraversa (13350)
@CaptAlbertWhisker When I listen to Pantera's Cowboys From Hell and hear "they say the bad guys wear black, we're tagged and can't turn back" I think of Catholic priests. Well, yes, the goth style is full of crosses, more than what you can find in a church.
@ridingbet (63960)
i miss my grandfather, my mother's side. he usually boils coffee in an earthen stove and called us, "let's have hot coffee, let's have hot coffee".
@sabtraversa (13350)
@ridingbet Aww. "Catchphrases" are surely some of the strongest memories.
@ridingbet (63960)
@sabtraversa yes, and i can still recall the voice of my late grandfather saying, (in our regional language) "intay agkapen, intay agkapen".
@Jfronda82 (259)
I love my grandmom a lot more than my mother. My Inang (grandma) took care of me since birth because both of my parents are working.
@sabtraversa (13350)
@Jfronda82 Grandmas often take the role, the mother alone has a difficult time taking care of the babies herself. Thankfully there are the wise grandmas!!!
@sabtraversa agree :)
@Srbageldog (8186)
I'm glad you had such a close bond with your grandmother, but I am sorry she is in ill health. I was never super close to either of my grandmothers...although my maternal grandmother was my pen-pal up until the last years of her life. We lived too far away to visit often, but we always wrote each other, and she always encouraged me with my writing. I still have all of her letters. All of my grandparents are gone now. It is a strange feeling once you no longer have any living grandparents.
@sabtraversa (13350)
@Srbageldog So your grandma has been more of a close friend than a mother, but it's still good, she's been important somehow. Omnia fert aetas, which means time takes away everything. I don't know how it feels, but I guess it might make you feel old among other things. Children become parents, and parents become grandparents; family renovations.
@sabtraversa Yes, it definitely makes me feel old...and sad knowing that my parents and aunts and uncles are now at the "top of the list" as far as family lineage goes.
@responsiveme (23314)
My maternal grandma was special for me too
@sabtraversa (13350)
responsiveme Yup, nobody is like grandma. The only woman I met who truly enjoyed cooking, by the way.
@sabtraversa mine too...So many special dishes
@AKRao24 (24335)
I am very happy bto know your are so closed to your granny! In our country parents they stay with son so my grand mother used to stay in our family and she was adorable lady. When we grew up she used to feel proud of us, as she has got a lot of contribution for our upbringing! Once she wanted some money for some ceremonial function on a day of festival, she was very self esteemed person, she wouldn't ask for money any one except me...not her son also! So when she said she wanted some money I asked how much she was in need of, for which she that would I be giving her the money she demands from me? I simply got my wallet from my pocket and handed it her and said all is yours! She was so proud with this gesture..that she was telling my other relatives present there - 'See that is my Grand son!' , I had tears in my eyes listening to that. Such simple are the souls of our Grannys! I miss my granny a lot!
@sabtraversa (13350)
@AKRao24 I wonder why the relationships among the very young and the very old tend to be very special and unique, it might have to do with reincarnation, the two souls are closer than one can imagine. The love of a grandmother is indeed pure and genuine, they're more of givers than takers towards their grandchildren, no doubt your gesture made her very proud.
@AKRao24 (24335)
@sabtraversa , I think that bond is because of mutual selfless love and affection! Yes this can be a bond between two reincarnated loving souls as you say!!
@kepweng (25627)
i wish your grandma a LONG life
@sabtraversa (13350)
@kepweng I met her today, she looked happy but she probably felt so because of me. Thank you.
I remember my grandma vaguely, I didn't see her often - my mother kept her four kids very close to her side. Yes , your grandma still has her sense of humor.
@sabtraversa (13350)
@Kandae11 My paternal grandma went missing when I was 3, I would have vague memories about her instead. Especially when she told me to go grab the chocolates she hid in the closet. It sounds like your mother and grandmother weren't in good terms.