Losing weight is not simply shedding pounds

Before and after May 2018 to February 2019
I've been gone from this site for 11 months. I've been taking care of me. There is so much that has happened this past year that I'll never be able to share everything, but this is one thing that I'd like to share with all of you. Some of you are already aware of some of this, as you follow me on Facebook, the little time that I'm there. Many of you know that in 2012, I lost 85 lbs in 3 months due to stage 4 neuroendocrine cancer. As there is no cure, and as I was told I had six months to a year, I never expected that I would be here today. In 5 years, I regained nearly 50 of those pounds, by eating, drinking, and being not so merry, because I never knew if the next day I would be gone. About the time that I left this site, I was noticing that my knees were very sore again. I was also preparing for my first art show, taking a sculpture class, and doing a lot of things to try to keep my mind off of death, and toxic relationships. I decided I needed to lose a little weight, so I simply cut down on the amount of carbohydrates that I was eating, and lost about 11 pounds from April 30th to the end of July. When I weighed in at my doctor's appointment on July 27th, I was 229.8 pounds! For my 63rd birthday, I received a new Fitbit and decided that it was time for me to start moving again. I had completely stopped doing much of anything, being in a deep depression. Part of that was because I was unable to sleep for a long time. But, I found a new primary care doctor that was willing to listen to me and help me through some of the things over which I was struggling. I would not go on depression medications. But she allowed me to be accountable to her and I saw her monthly just to check in. Long story short, I have been walking and hiking and doing things that I never dreamed I could ever do. My first goal was to get to under 200 pounds by December 31st. I did not reach that goal, but I did finally reach that goal in February after several months of being on a very strange plateau. I have maintained under 200 for nearly a month now and I'm slowly losing a little bit at a time. Yesterday, the scale gave me the lowest I've been in a long time at 196.2. Living with stage 4 cancer and trying to maintain a sense of Sanity isn't always easy. But there is nothing that I can do to take away the diagnosis. But I have to remind myself that there are some things over which I do have control. By joining a couple of walking and hiking groups, two veteran organizations that are determined to help others get out there and breathe fresh air, and continuing to challenge myself everyday to get up out of bed and face the world, I have learned not to isolate myself so much that it effects how I feel about myself. I've also stopped listening to the naysayers, and not being so affected by those who insist that they know me better than I know myself. Limiting the negativity has been so Primary in taking back my life. And, by letting go of some of those things, I have been able to let go of 43 pounds since April. I'd like to share this before and after picture, the first taken at the end of May last year, and the other taken last Saturday. Getting priorities straight was important to me. It was not just about losing weight. It's about taking back every aspect of life. I still have a long way to go, but I'm excited for the next step of the journey!
• Wheat Ridge, Colorado
You are made of the good stuff Coral. What strength and determination, I applaud you!! Thank you for sharing with us. You look beautiful.
Thank you for your kind words. You just made me cry.
• Wheat Ridge, Colorado
@TheSojourner Well a good cry I hope. That was my aim that you would feel the words in a good way, you certainly deserve praise and credit due.
Congratulations, Coralita! I just wrote you an e-mail. Maybe I wouldn´t have done it if I had read this post before because I would have been too envious. I am trying to lose weight and since I started, on January 2nd, I have gone down 2 kilos. I feel proud of myself because I went for a week to Ciudad de Mexico with my 2 girls and we ate all there was to eat there.. As you say, I´m looking up to the next step of the journey.
Congratulations! That's a great weight loss for January, in spite of going on holiday! You should feel proud of yourself.
@TheSojourner I am. It would be better if this month I shed yet another kilo though.
@marguicha and you have 23 days to go!
So glad you chose to focus on your priorities. You really are an inspiration. Wishing you the best of luck regarding this journey to are choosing to continue.
Thank you so much for your kindness. It's good to see you again.
@TheSojourner So happy to see you. You are looking so good!!!
@Corbin5 thank you! I was hoping to be able to share more photos of some of the hikes I've been on, but I see that the site still only allows one photo / post
@DaddyEvil (27447)
• Aurora, Missouri
Oh, WOW! That is fantastic, Coral! I'm so glad you are becoming more active than you were! Now, if I could just get myself to do that, too. (I lost 35 lbs in the last few months of last year but didn't start doing more activities, so I still look the same. My face is a bit thinner but that's the only change I can see. I can also breathe easier than I was, but I can't see that, of course.) I walk seven miles a day at work, but that isn't enough to make a difference in how I look. *sigh*
Thank you, DE. I eat mostly protein and veggies, and very little starch. I also make sure that I push the heart rate. If I don't, I'll do the 7 mi, but won't lose anything, as not cardio, and heart rate stays low.
@DaddyEvil (27447)
• Aurora, Missouri
@TheSojourner I still eat the same things I did before, but cut my servings in half. The weight is coming off, but I still need to do the exercises or I'll never get back into the shape I was in before I came to myLot. I speed-walk at work, so the cardio is there... *shrug*
@DaddyEvil Do you have a FitBit tracker? One of the things that has started helping me is hiking. The flat roads don't do much for me anymore, except keep me breathing fresh air. I need to do more incline now.
Congrats there.You are doing the right thing there.I love the photo.Your looking great and I know your feeling so healthy
Thank you, as I appreciate your kind words
@TheSojourner you will always get a kind word from me.Did I tell you used to be a priestKidding.
@amadeo I was going to say that I didn't know you were a priest at one point haha
@kobesbuddy (75416)
• East Tawas, Michigan
Coral you will never know how much we've missed you, on My Lot. Weeding out the negativity is of utmost importance, while dealing with depression! I eliminated family members, to obtain this wonderful goal:) You have everything in this world to be proud of, for these goals that you've reached! I too found a new doctor who listens, she's a cherished friend:) And with the attitudes you've acquired, cancer has no power over you! You looked beautiful before, now you look even more beautiful! Keep up the good work, sweet lady:)
Thank you for your kind words, Kharla. It's good to see so many friendly faces. I just hope that somewhere not upset with me too much for having to leave. It was about survival.
@kobesbuddy (75416)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@TheSojourner Anyone who loves you, could never be upset or mad because you needed time away! We all need to take care of ourselves, or it would never get done:( I can't ask my husband to make me healthy, it's totally up to each one of us as an individual.
@kobesbuddy learning those lessons in life are the best ones to learn. And the best ones to pass along.
• Walnut Creek, California
Glad you're listening to yourself, and not others. I think losing weight is about building strength as well.
Perhaps you have missed where I shared that I am working with a trainer and in the gym?
@vandana7 (71333)
@TheSojourner He meant having enough to beat him with baseball bat. On a lighter note we Indians have traditionally used something like a baseball bat to beat dirt out of clothes while washing. Somewhere in this link is a man with baseball stick hammering somebody's clothes to shoo away dirt.
The men, known as dhobis, visit homes to collect thousands of soiled garments before washing them in the Yamuna river, which is one of the tributaries of the Ganges in Delhi, India.
@vandana7 I will have to read that article later. I have to go to the doctor very soon.
Off the point: I seem to remember that you are/were in the military. Am I right?
Yes, I served from 1973 until 1989. I wore both an Air Force and a Navy uniform.
@TheSojourner Obviously, you impressed me in your last incorporation. The info about your military career got stuck in my brain.
@MALUSE thank you for those kind words. Don't be too impressed, as I'm likely to tick someone off somewhere down the line soon! I always enjoyed the conversations about language, when you would openly ask me what things meant having taught ESL, was always one of my favorite things in my lifetime. And learning languages, as well. I don't speak many of them very much but I still remember a few words here and there. And I keep trying to practice my Spanish when I can.
I didn’t think you would ever come back so I am glad to read about how you have been. Wonderful that you are getting out and trying to enjoy your life while you can. Depression is terrible but that’s great you have been able to avoid taking antidepressants. You look wonderful. I love hiking as well.
I didn't think that I would be back either. A year ago Alex convinced me to just keep everything up rather than delete everything out. So I just pulled down all of my posts but not the comments over the years, and decided to come back in today for some reason. Good to see some familiar names and faces.
@TheSojourner When I deleted my account years ago when they stopped paying I deleted all my posts but going through the comments was to much work so I left them. It was nice when I came back again to have a fresh start and not have all those crazy posts of mine visible
@moffittjc (56602)
• Gainesville, Florida
What an amazing journey you have been on! I'm glad that--despite your circumstances and obstacles--that you chose to press on! Coral, I think you are going to be with us for quite a while yet, so get busy living and don't worry about anything else.
Thank you for those words. Last night I wrote a little bit about something I did yesterday that was probably one of the most difficult emotional Journeys. I have so much more to talk about on that, but I believe there may have been a little bit of a breakthrough. I'm still trying to wrap my head around it.
@moffittjc (56602)
• Gainesville, Florida
@TheSojourner How are you feeling health wise? I'm assuming that with your weight loss, and the fact that you have been getting out and hiking and exploring, that your physical health is on point right now.
@moffittjc I still have stage 4 cancer and there's no getting rid of that. What I have control over is how I breathe and exercise. I can't do extreme exercise without feeling some symptoms because of the type of cancer I have. So does a bear poop in the woods? Yes, and so does coral! Those times are awkward for me, but I deal with it. Sorry if that was TMI. I'm working through some other emotional things from past, and that is starting to come to the surface. So, I'm not sure if that makes me feel better. But I'm dealing with it. Last night's post told a little bit about that. I'm going to talk more on it in the future. But I think there was a breakthrough. And that's a good thing. And I am probably going to start swimming few weeks. I still am cautious about putting on a bathing suit. The old body after weight loss has some things that don't look quite as nice as I'd like them too. Damn old skin! Sometimes I think it's better if it were plumped out! But if somebody doesn't like a saggy balloon on the inside of my thigh, screw'em!
@MissNikki (3909)
• Maple Ridge, British Columbia
Wow, it sounds like you have come quite a long way!! I am glad that you are still around and that you are not allowing anything to limit you. I'm trying to help my partner to lose weight for his health so any tips are appreciated.
I just started walking back last summer...and cut out 90% of breads, pasta, etc., and most processed sugar food.
@MissNikki (3909)
• Maple Ridge, British Columbia
@TheSojourner All good things. I find cutting down on the carbs seems to be the hardest things for the both of us.
@MissNikki and I know some people that can handle the carbs. Not so much me. They just go right to my big behind.
You look great Coral. Our knees , losing weight is a great help to our knees and spine. Listen to no one, live your life, avoid negative people. I finally got rid of some negative people and I am happy again. I am so glad you are back and you feel better.
It's still difficult getting rid of people, especially when their family and very close friends. However, it's all part of a process that we must learn! Thank you for your kind words , Anna
@TheSojourner I know what you mean about getting rid of people, because I had a very hard time with my only brother. Finally I moved on.
@LadyDuck we have two for our own sanity sometimes. And it's difficult, because we have this expectation that family is something you don't give up on. Or friends that you had for decades. But it doesn't mean that they're healthy relationships. And I don't need to be the savior of the world.
You are an inspiration for so many! I'm so happy to see you again and wish you all the best in your journey. You look wonderful!
Thank you so very much. Everybody's being so kind.
@TheSojourner I wish you all the best. We are a loving and compassionate group of friends and here for you any time!
@DianneN I know! As long as they haven't blocked me! Haha
@LindaOHio (6630)
OMG, congratulations for losing all of that weight. You look wonderful! I need to take a page out of your book and lose some myself.
@LindaOHio (6630)
@TheSojourner Well, you did a wonderful job. My problem is I can't get around and exercise...but such is life.
@LindaOHio You cannot get around or exercise? There may be some things that can be accommodated for you.
@LindaOHio (6630)
@TheSojourner I could use a machine with weights that you lift with your legs; but I have a treadmill (useless for me); and I don't want to go to a gym.
@blaqdu (48)
this is encouraging ... and workout has been one of challenging factor in my life.. try to join gym membership but still fail to keep up
For me, I had to ask myself why I have failed in the past. I think on some level, I was afraid of success. Once we are successful at something, especially if we've had to struggle for it, there comes a responsibility to ourselves and putting ourselves in a place of leadership which could Inspire others. Sometimes, we're just not ready for that responsibility. Or we don't feel Worthy enough to take care of ourselves. I wish you the best on that Journey towards health. I know it's hard.
@blaqdu (48)
@TheSojourner your 100% right and in addition is lack of Motivation... maybe few friends or no friends with same interest can also discourage you
@blaqdu that is where I look at the personal responsibility piece of it. I joined a couple of meetup groups that did some walking and hiking. That's how I started. I haven't made a whole lot of friends, but it gave me a place to do it with others. And, I had to take a big risk to walking into a gym with people your age, when I'm old enough to be your grandmother. I am the oldest one that I have seen yet in there, and the only older female. I worry about what other people think sometimes, but I have to reject that. I'm not doing this for anybody other than me and that was key. I'm not competing with anyone, but I'm trying only to become a better version of myself.
@bagarad (13968)
• Paso Robles, California
Wow! I'm impressed! I knew you were taking those walks and I was a bit jealous every time you tweeted about one of them. I was so wishing I was with you so that we could walk and talk together. You have accomplished a lot. And now spring has come. You are a special person. Keep taking care of you.
I have been doing so much walking and hiking, and I still am not as strong as I'd like to be, but I give it my best shot. Thank you so much for your kind words. I think you would have a good time with some of the groups that I'm in with some of the people. Usually, I find one person that I can talk with, and I don't worry about the rest of the group! I find that more and more I'm appreciating one-on-one time with people. Strange for an extrovert, perhaps
@bagarad (13968)
• Paso Robles, California
@TheSojourner I really miss my neighbor that used to live on our property and Templeton. We often took long walks together. I really like walking with someone and talking to them at the same time. She was a biologist so she could teach me a lot about what we were seeing.
@bagarad well I'm not sure that I could teach you much. But it would be enjoyable to have the company
@Nana49 (3245)
Congratulations you are looking good ..you must be doing something right lol .. I want to lose 30 pounds but i cant really get myself to start until the warmer weather i always lose in the summer because im big into walking and that is what helps me start losing then i worry about what foods to cut back on or stop as i go.. its a day by day thing for me ..im getting prepared though just bought a new scale..
Thank you. I started this in the summer in August at my birthday. I continued into the fall and I've actually done some winter hikes. not my favorites! But I keep plugging along
@Nana49 (3245)
@TheSojourner i love going on hikes just need someone to go with also same with tennis Great way to stay in shape me and my mom use to play alot . really fun ..
@Nana49 maybe that's something I will have to try in this lifetime!
• Midland, Michigan
Congratulations on being able to step away from the site to take care of you and also congrats on the weight loss. I've been somewhat doing a low carb plan for years now, but I'm hoping to get back onto it more strictly once the weather improves and we have more money coming in. Then I can try to buy fresher foods again. I've done well with atkins before this, but after my first surgery two years ago I gained fifteen pounds back because I didn't do much more than the pt I got after surgery. I'm having my next surgery next month so I can get outside more and walk around on my street even when my driver is at work. It sounds like you've already lived longer than the original prognosis. Hopefully with the changes you've made the prognosis will improve even more and you'll live longer than most with this illness. I see with both of your pictures above that your hair cut is similar to what it was before if not the same. Thanks for sharing both aspects of your life with us. I pray that you can be in decent health for as long as possible.
Thank you for your kind words. And yes I keep my hair cut very short. I have fine hair like baby hair and it's thnner now that I'm getting older.
• Midland, Michigan
@TheSojourner mine is thin too and always has been. My hairdresser tried to tell me it's thick, but I don't agree.
@MarshaMusselman I know it was thicker when I was a child, but it's always been very fine. I tried to grow it longer for a year and in the picture on the left it's actually longer but it's tucked behind my ears I'm embarrassed to show this picture oh, but this is how long it really was. And it will never be again. This with me at an art show that my professor Marie was featured.
@VivaLaDani13 (32276)
• Perth, Australia
@TheSojourner I just learned something about you and even though I didn't think it was possible, I now admire you much more than before. For so many reasons. Congratulations. Not just on losing weight but for taking control of what you can in your life. Not many people can do this yet they allow life to control them. I truly admire you. Well done! Love the photo!
Thank you so much for your kind words. You have made me cry.
• Perth, Australia
@TheSojourner Sorry to make you cry. I meant every word too.
• Perth, Australia
@TheSojourner I do too. And you're very welcome.
Good to see you - I've missed you! You look fantastic! Life certainly has its challenges . . . it's a good feeling to kick the tough stuff in the butt and do what you can to joyfully take that next step. I'm still rootin' for ya . . . hope this means you will be coming back !
I wrote another post before this one. It tells how I feel about this being here! Haha so good that you stopped by. Thank you.
@TheSojourner We are glad that YOU stopped by ! Take things as they come, one day at a time . . .
@much2say that's the best way to do it!