Voice commenting in future

By Jojo
@Sojourn (5331)
Just having a wishful thought on this lazy Sunday afternoon, that if in the near future, mylot would incorporate voice commenting feature into the system, so we are able hear our friend's voices. I know it is a big ask considering the several ramifications it might have like hardware expenses and all, but it would be fun if it happens in the future. How's your Sunday going everyone? Mine is fine.
@owlwings (40984)
• Cambridge, England
The main reasons why this is unlikely to be a feature in the near future, at least, would be considerations of storage size and bandwidth. A text of, say, 100 characters would require a little over 100 bytes to store (assuming one byte per character or space). Although I haven't actually tested it, a recording of the same text spoken could hardly be less than 10 times that size, even allowing for compression. At times, myLot is slow enough already. Increasing the file size of responses and comments by this much would almost certainly bring the site's servers and Internet connection to its knees! The considerations of conducting an online discussion in this way can be seem, with a little thought, to be impractical and unworkable. Have you ever left the room whilst a real life discussion or debate is in progress and found that you have missed some important information whilst you were away? Discussions here are not in 'real time' and responses and comments can be posted at any time - often several hours - after the discussion started. It would not be possible for a newcomer to a discussion to review all the responses and comments posted before in a reasonable time and nor would it be feasible for the discussion owner to comment back to everyone who posted in a reasonable time. The quality and clarity of the recordings and the many different accents which would be used would also very often make it difficult, if not impossible to understand what was said.
@myklj999 (28056)
• Olney, Illinois
Well f..........heck
@myklj999 (28056)
• Olney, Illinois
Also, your last comment...I know Vanny has a bit of difficulty understanding my 'accent' (which I never knew I had one, but I guess I would to other areas). I know I have trouble understanding some phone calls I get.
@Sojourn (5331)
Yeah..... these are real problems .....things can be like users can be given a quota of audio comments per month and restriction in audio size.... people might use it for extremely brief responses..... just a thought
@myklj999 (28056)
• Olney, Illinois
I doubt it would happen, there are certain words not allowed here that could get through
@Sojourn (5331)
Yeah..... it is a concern. I am not also not aware of not any viable technology that can filter certain words automatically from streaming audios.
@myklj999 (28056)
• Olney, Illinois
@Sojourn I can't think of any either. I have (but very seldom) made a video response to a discussion here, but that entails having to post the video to YouTube and then linking it here.
@May2k8 (9072)
Better to type than speak to microphone, sometimes unclear to hear.
@Sojourn (5331)
Yes, it would be optional.
@Gillygirl (30929)
• Sutton, England
t would be fun to hear mylotters voices. After a while the sound could get annoying.
@Sojourn (5331)
I think mylot can implement this feature on a special day of the year.
@Gillygirl (30929)
• Sutton, England
@Sojourn I will dive for my ear plugs
@moonandstars (16945)
• Zagreb, Croatia (Hrvatska)
Your thinking is very modern, I like it. It's ok.
@Sojourn (5331)
O thank you.... it surely is a good compliment.... I like your attitude too
• Zagreb, Croatia (Hrvatska)
@Sojourn Thank you!
@Mavic123456 (19364)
• Thailand
hahaha good imagination.. but isn't that more tiring. and also i can't imagine hearing a lot of comments of different accent, loudness and diction. i might go crazy. but nice imagination
@Sojourn (5331)
Thank you....I think it could be an option and not the primary mode of commenting.
@Mavic123456 (19364)
• Thailand
@Sojourn but it will be cool. i will know what your voice is.
@Sojourn It is fine. It is early afternoon here.
@Sojourn (5331)
It is late afternoon here and just switched the TV on
@Sojourn ok and it is early afternoon here and I also have the TV on.
That does sound like fun. It is a good Sunday here.
@Sojourn (5331)
Yeah....but it is not feasible I suppose
@Sheali (7580)
It is night now and I watched Roadies..
@Sojourn (5331)
Okay....good night
@LowRiderX (9648)
• Serbia
I prefer to typing rather than talk. But I understand your need, I probably would never have used it
@Sojourn (5331)
Okay..... its your preference
@shubhu3 (29783)
• New Delhi, India
That will be good.
@Sojourn (5331)
Yeah....
@Janet357 (16937)
After attending our religious meeting, we went to the mall to buy my eyeglasses and now, we are resting, just took our dinner.