Biting the Credit Card bullet...

By JJ
@myklj999 (31730)
Olney, Illinois
I did something last night I swore I would never do. I applied for (and was approved for) an unsecured credit card. I've never really approved of having one for myself, but I have always tried to live within my means, so I didn't really need one. And I still don't, I suppose. But I guess really I should keep that 'cushion' available should I ever need money I don't have. Only took me 41 years to give in. Credit card and a smartphone, two things I said I would never have...I wonder what'll be next?
@alberello75 (24158)
• Genova, Italy
I don't know, even for me. Twenty years ago I forced myself to never want to own a cell phone. But modern society has imposed it on me. End of my quiet! Continue phone calls: example: Hi Alessandro, come inside that it rains! I answer: "Do the same, it rains here too!"
@myklj999 (31730)
• Olney, Illinois
I quite often leave my cell phone at home unless I am going to be gone for several hours.
@alberello75 (24158)
• Genova, Italy
@myklj999 I see. you do the right thing. But you could also choose only certain people to whom you want to give your number.
• Lenox, Georgia
If you're smart with it and I know you will be than they aren't bad to have for emergencies. I personally only pay cash for things but that's for certain reasons...
@myklj999 (31730)
• Olney, Illinois
My credit score has been doing this s-l-o-w climb, and this should bring it up a bit more after a few months.
• Lenox, Georgia
@myklj999 That will be a great thing. =)
I have paid for everything I could with credit cards for about 40 years. But I don't use it to spend money I don't have!
@myklj999 (31730)
• Olney, Illinois
I've never been for making payments on stuff much, I've preferred dealing with costs of something in one fell swoop.
@myklj999 My one fell swoop is paying the credit card bill at the end of the month. One payment for all the gas, groceries, etc.
@myklj999 (31730)
• Olney, Illinois
@paigea My debit card has done it with no interest charges...I really have to squeeze pennies
@TheSojourner (21245)
Before you know it, you'll be getting married again.
@myklj999 (31730)
• Olney, Illinois
BACK EVIL DEMON!!! BACK I SAY!!!
@myklj999 LOL!!
Oh, you are just too funny. You're making me laugh. That's a good thing.
Good God Man!!!! Next you and scar will have females moving in. I will get a smart phone but I won`t get a credit card.
@myklj999 (31730)
• Olney, Illinois
I always said I wouldn't have one, but I'm to the point that I may need it for an emergency. Nothing soon, and hopefully never will, but since I'm not working now I'd like to be able to replace a transmission if I was traveling and it blew.
what is an unsecured credit card? I got my first one last year. Mine has my sister associated with it. she says i need to build credit. I only use it for Uber and then as soon as the amount spent on a rise shows up on my online banking account i pay it off. My sister taught me i should never put on credit what I don't have the money in my checking account to pay off the month i spend it
@myklj999 (31730)
• Olney, Illinois
A secured credit card is one that you have to deposit a certain amount of money into a bank to get it.
@myklj999 do you mean a certain monthly payment? i pay $3 a month to have it
@myklj999 (31730)
• Olney, Illinois
@Marty1 No, I mean you have to deposit money...normally between $300-$500 into a bank account and leave it there
That's funny! I've kinda been a credit card person since college. I made a mistake and had too many back then and had to go bankrupt, so it's good that you're careful with credit cards. I'm happy now that I know how to manage mine much better now. I've definitely learned how to live "within my means" the hard way. As for the smartphone, I still don't have one that's truly current. I don't want to be like all those other people who live on their phone when they're out and about, so I totally understand the wait on having one.
@myklj999 (31730)
• Olney, Illinois
I have one (smartphone), but no one has the number for it and I normally don't use it or take it anywhere. My regular 'phone' is an old flip-phone.
@myklj999 Ha! I have one "smartphone" as well, but I haven't even connected it to a phone number. I use it as a mini-computer to look on some of my social media sites with free wi-fi when out & about or whatever at home when I don't feel like being on my computer. My regular cell phone is an old generic "blackberry". I feel it's easier to text on it than it would on a "smartphone".
@myklj999 (31730)
• Olney, Illinois
@TishaMears I do all my online stuff from my desktop and don't really go anywhere much except the grocery store and such.
@maximax8 (29605)
Society tells people they need a credit card. It took you 41 years to give in. Its easy to wander into debt and people need a clear plan of action to get out of it. Credit card companies see light spending and then it is all paid back. Then an emergency happens and much more is spent. Many small purchases can build up. One man bought a car for £5,000 on his credit card.
@myklj999 (31730)
• Olney, Illinois
I'm making a small purchase...such as a tank of gas...monthly, and then paying it off. Helps build my credit score and it is there now if I should happen to actually need it.
@maximax8 (29605)
@myklj999 I am delighted that you only make a small purchase like gas. Then you pay it off. Hopefully your credit score is at quite a high level. Did you know Dave Ramsey interviewed a couple that got a mortgage without a credit score?
@betlynfrnds (2413)
Be well aware of all the goings on of your new plastic friend. Make sure it remains a friend and dosn't turn into an enemy.
@myklj999 (31730)
• Olney, Illinois
I don't plan on using it unless needed, maybe just a tank of gas per month to keep it active
@myklj999 Excellent game plan.
@CarolDM (41706)
I see nothing at all wrong with getting a credit card when you are disciplined, like we all know you are. And having one for emergencies is an excellent reason to get one. Just sayin'.
@myklj999 (31730)
• Olney, Illinois
I've had a limited online credit account with PayPalCredit for a couple years now, I can buy from almost anywhere online, and I've kept it at less than half...a card for offline seems the move to make currently.
@CarolDM (41706)
@myklj999 I agree with you.
I hope you applied for one that gives cash back on purchases. I'm back to where I was before I got stupid and fell for the scam last year, now I will pay my cards off each month like I did in 2017 and before.
@myklj999 (31730)
• Olney, Illinois
I get cashback but not much.
I don't get much either but even 1% back is better than nothing @myklj999
I went a long time without a credit card until it became unavoidable.
@myklj999 (31730)
• Olney, Illinois
I've had a credit/debit card (Visa/PayPal and it is accepted everywhere) but it feeds directly off my bank account and I'd get overdraw fees if I didn't really have the money. I'll only use this to fill the tank once a month to keep it active just in case...
@JohnRoberts To have "good credit", you need a credit card. It's said that not having any credit cards at all can be bad if you have no other collateral like a house or any car financing or such... things that I do not have at the moment.
@resukill22 (12908)
Hope you can have it soon
@myklj999 (31730)
• Olney, Illinois
I'll have it within a week.
@resukill22 (12908)
@myklj999 that is good im happy for you
@wolfgirl569 (21977)
• Marion, Ohio
I like mine for emergencies.
@myklj999 (31730)
• Olney, Illinois
I never needed an emergency when I didn't have one and I hopes not to need one now, but I have it if I do
@BarBaraPrz (24303)
• St. Catharines, Ontario
Store-bought teeth?
@myklj999 (31730)
• Olney, Illinois
We keep it around for emergencies too - or to build up credit (always pay that bill in full on time). But otherwise I won't touch it. I got in enough troubles in my late 20s over them - and thank goodness I was able to save my butt!
@myklj999 (31730)
• Olney, Illinois
Improving my credit score is why I finally did it.
@divalounger (3195)
Just be careful with it! We are still climbing out from under debt--and that is a really slow slog!
sometimes they're required unfortunetly.. i'd keep it for vet bills in case scar ever needs it.
@simone10 (31210)
Never say never. As soon as you do, something like this happens
What will be next? Stop drinking coughee... NOOO impossible!