Car Accident

Just as the title says - car accident. My car is totaled but thank goodness we are all mostly ok. I was driving. The light turned to a green arrow so I could turn left. I started the turn and out of nowhere (it seemed) on the other side, this older guy ran a red at full speed and hit the front corner side of the passenger side. The kids were in back - they were completely fine. Of all things, I felt it in my right thumb and left inner knee, and eventually had bruising from the seat belts. Hubby got a broken rib. The other guy was limping and said he was ok. We are all damn lucky . . . it could have been way worse. Now comes the hassles of back and forth phone calls, car rental, and I am not thrilled that we will have to be looking for another car. I am feeling bad for my husband who is dealing with the pain. So drive carefully folks . . . even if you follow the rules of the road, beware of those who might not.
I am so sorry for you and especially for your husband. Unfortunately there is not a lot that can be done to fix a broken rib. It could have been worse, take care.
Thank you. There is no cast or anything for a broken rib. At least it was a clean break so it should heal ok, but in the meantime there is a lot of pain to deal with. I have been trying to be a rock here to keep it altogether for everyone - but I just want to scream that this happened at all.
@much2say I can imagine how you feel. The step father of my husband had a car accident three weeks ago. He is not young (85), he was parked in front of a house, when starting he pressed the accelerator and wend directly against the wall of the house. A broken foot, 4 ribs and the sternum. It will take a bit of time to heal.
@LadyDuck wow that's so pretty bad injuries for your husband's step father
We can never factor in the behaviour of other drivers, they can be so unpredictable. So sorry this happened to you.
There are so many bad drivers out there . . . people are in such a hurry these days - why can't they take a few moments to play it safe rather than takes huge risks - sometimes at other people's expense. I hate that this happened, but well, I'm thankful we got out as well as we did.
@much2say Yes, it could have been a lot worse.
@cacay1 (36599)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
@jaboUK, there are numerous reckless drivers. They feel the road is theirs.They need to have weekly seminar.
Oh, I am so sorry this happened. Such a relief to know you are all mostly OK. Broken ribs really do hurt.
Getting on with our day today, I am feeling sore but better, if that makes sense. My husband was up for a bit and oh that rib area is painfully bothersome - he's going to go rest again. And the kids - they are completely ok - but I am sick over what could have potentially happened. Thank goodness we are even here.
@much2say I bet you are upset every time you think of what could have been. I would be too. I remember my husband was knocked down at the dog park by dogs who were frolicking and he broke 3 ribs. It took a while for the pain to subside. I remember he had to sleep sitting up.
@Corbin5 Oh my goodness - your husband must've been knocked down hard by those dogs to break 3 ribs! We can't even figure out how my husband broke that rib - it doesn't seem that he hit anything in the car - could impact alone do that? Crazy physics. Recently we bought a mattress that could help him to sit up remotely because of his back . . . good thing we have that for this situation!
@CarolDM (25207)
Oh my goodness I am so glad you are all safe. It can happen so fast. Take care.
Yes, it can happen so fast,.
@CarolDM @marlina It did happen so fast - so surreal when it did .
@much2say , So sorry.
I know how broken bones feel. But all will be ok in due course of time. Take care all of you. The trauma of an accident lasts for a few days.
All will be ok in time, but I just wish it didn't happen. Thank you . . . yep, we are still shocked over it all but better than how we felt yesterday. Scary.
I'm so glad you're all mostly ok, hopefully you'll be awarded enough money to get a really nice new car. Did they xray your hand and leg? I should have asked if you went to the hospital?
I didn't go in to get checked myself, but I know how broken bones feel. My thumb is bruised (weird) but I don't feel pain now. My knee has its moments and whatever happened yesterday aggravated it - it's not bad, but a little swollen and bruised. When we went to ER with Hubby, the doctor and nurse looked at my seat belt bruises and didn't look too concerned. I think I'm ok, but I feel bad that Hubby is in pain - in bed still right now. Well, I am not sure how it will go after all is said and done . . . we may have to be in a position of another car payment (we were almost done with this one). I don't want a really nice car - the public is careless and I had all sorts of car dings and scratches just from parking - feels like we can't have anything nice these days. Sorry - I'm just venting my frustrations right now - I hate this even happened.
No worries @much2say it's ok to vent after an event like that. If I were you I'd have that knee checked out, I still regret not having mine checked back in 1996 when mine were injured, I still can't bend them much. Sooo I moon the neighborhood when I'm pulling weeds.
@rebelann I did some strength stretches - seems to be helping - we'll see as the days go - if it's getting worse I will definitely go get it checked out. I have a few skating injuries - and this accident seems to have aggravated them, it feels "familiar" but annoying. Oh gosh, how did your knee get injured? Mooning the neighbors - oh I know what you're saying - but how is your back then?
• Walnut Creek, California
Did the red light runner apologize? They bother me. Especially if they're texting.
Of course he didn't. In fact he didn't ask if any of us were ok (my kids noticed that). But I asked him. He stayed stunned and silent mostly. He was an old guy with an old truck.
@cacay1 (36599)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
@TheHorse m may be not because he was also badly damaged.He is such a reckless one.
@cacay1 A friend asked me the same question. He was definitely hurt, but maybe he knew very well that he was in the wrong here.
I hope you and your husband are ok now.
The kids have been just fine. I am feeling better from the minor things - each day seems to be better. But Hubby still has to deal with the rib pains. He got up once this morning and I can see/hear that it's still quite painful.
@much2say I hope it is less painful for him every day.
Been there, done that. Two cars totaled for me.
Dang. I hope you were ok from those 2. We see the accident scenario all the time as you know living out here, but then it happens to us .
@cacay1 (36599)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
@JohnRoberts, thankful you're okay or I hope this day you are feeling fine.
That is scary but thankfully you are all okay. It could have been disastrous. Having to deal with getting another car is a hassle and hope everything works out quickly
Thankfully the front corner side was hit and we swirved . . . had he run into the door side it would have been super bad for us all. Hubby and I keep replaying it in our minds - need to stop. I dread the next couple weeks, but I hope it all works out quickly too.
• Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Oh no Much God had you there for sure..a miracle.
We both replay it in our minds still - can't get it out. We are so, so fortunate to come out of this as well as we did . . . it will be so inconvenient for a while but we are alive!!
• Wheat Ridge, Colorado
@much2say Bless you
@TiarasOceanView Thank you my friend .
it could have been worse..Drivers to not pay attention
Oh there are too many crazy drivers out there - a lot of people certainly don't pay attention. The roads are so much more treacherous these days.
@much2say yes they are ane have to be very careful
@LeaPea2417 (24835)
• Toccoa, Georgia
That is awful, but glad you all are ok.
We can think straight today - yesterday was just crazy when it happened. I am glad we are all here and can rest at home for the rest of the weekend.
Glad you all are okay
Thank you . . . I was replaying the accident in my head all night (same with Hubby) - thanking our lucky stars we alive.
I am so glad that you are safe and best wishes to your husband for his rib to heal quickly.
Thank you! We are going nowhere today so Hubby can rest all he needs to. It was a clean break but there is no cast . . . he just has to let it heal - still its painful.
It is sad that you got a car accident and your husband was badly hurt due to his bearing the brunt of it.The older guy must have been crazy ! On the whole, we should be thankful for small mercies.Hope your husband will soon recover from it !
The traffic situation here is really bad . . . and there are oh so many careless drivers around. I am usually a very good driver and hate that this happened - especially that my husband got hurt this way and is in still a lot of pain. We are very fortunate that nothing happened to the kids (they were probably most relaxed as it happened and was not tensed up like we were). Yes, we are very, very thankful!!!
@much2say It was a lucky break out of misfortune that Kids were safe and sound.However your husband would have a nasty pain in his chest for some time.Hope the doctor could do something to kill his pain ! Hope your bruise isn't that serious !
@changjiangzhibin89 He was given the regular pain medicine - the stronger dose of ibuprofin. And then they gave him this opioid medicine that he did not like the reaction . . . I looked at him and he blanked out momentarily. No more of that for him - he'd rather deal with the pain than to deal with that. My right thumb was purple - then eventually the forefinger and the skin in between . . . but after the first day the pain went away. I also have seat belt bruising across my shoulder and bit of chest - that is not as tender as the first day. Same with my left knee and right shin. I thought I had a bit of whiplash - but after doing some stretches - it went away today. My husband intends to go back to work tomorrow, but he will be in pain for a while.
I’m so sorry to read this! Thank goodness everyone is alive, because you are right - it could have been worse. Broken ribs are awful. I hope your husband had his rib checked out at a hospital to make sure it didn’t puncture anything. How are you doing now? It pays to be a defensive driver due to all the idiots on the road. Hope you find a car without all the hassle and expense, but his insurance should pay for a rental for a long time.
It's surreal. I hate that this happened at all . Hubby is in pain still, but yes - he went to ER to make sure all was ok . . . his one rib break was luckily clean and didn't shift, so it should heal up ok - just a big pain in the meantime. You know about his back - but go figure his back was completely better that day - and it's a different sore right now. But it is all less intense than the first day. The kids are completely ok and oh my g a split second ahead would have been very bad - I am so thankful nothing happened to them. Me - I am less sore from the minor things - all will be ok soon. But then the car stuff - I dread the next few weeks . This was one of those arrow lights - so as I was already in the turn, and he definitely ran his red well after it had changed as he hadn't even slowed down . . . I just wanted to scream but kept my cool. The guy was very quiet and didn't even ask if any of us were ok. Thank you !
@much2say I understand totally. My husband broke 3 ribs playing racquetball when he slammed into a wall. There was nothing they could do for him except either wrap it, which did nothing, or let it heal all by itself. He was in agony for a good 6 or so weeks. Thank goodness the kids weren't harmed at all!!! I'm sure the police know it was that man's fault, but now all you can do is ride it out and let the insurance companies handle it. It would have been nice if that man had asked how you all were or at least apologize. Guess he's trying to cover up his wrong doing. I will pray for a speedy healing for your husband and a quick resolution to this horror.
@much2say Prayers just sent.
@moffittjc (53710)
• Gainesville, Florida
From someone who got rear-ended THREE times in 2018 while sitting at a red light, I can empathize with you. I'm glad to hear that everyone is okay for the most part, although I know your husband's broken ribs probably don't feel too good right now. Best of luck to you on dealing with the aftermath, and I hope everything gets sorted out quickly so you can get back to your normal life. And Happy Easter to you and your family!
I know that happened to you . . . thank goodness you have that big truck! It happened to me too in January of 2018 - in that one I was sitting at a red light and the person in the left turn lane somehow came into my lane and clipped my car. It was a hassle then, and I know we will have to deal with it all again in the next couple weeks - only this time I will have end up with trying to find another car. And Hubby is having to deal with that painful rib - but thankfully it was a clean break - just has to wait and recover. It's just tiring too that no matter how careful we are on the road, there are those (and many of "those") who aren't. Just thanking our lucky stars that we are alive today. Happy Easter to you all too!!
@moffittjc (53710)
• Gainesville, Florida
@much2say That's the one thing I hate about driving....no matter how hard you try, and no matter how safe you are out on the roads, there's nothing you can do to control the actions and bad decisions of other drivers. So frustrating, especially when you end up being the one who suffers because of the actions of others.
@moffittjc Right? The roads are full of insanity, but well, we have to swim through it as best we can . . . driving is a necessity. Hubby's doctor for his follow up check up actually said we should make a wax mold of that other guy's butt and poke needles through it .
Whenever a light turns to give us a signal that we can proceed, I look for the idiots who are not paying attention. Better to be safe than sorry. Glad that your family didn't suffer severe injury from the accident.
I normally do too - where I live we have to be very careful. This particular light was not the regular traffic light - it was the one with the arrows - and usually on the other side it would have to be red for sure. I was already on the turn - so it had been red on his side for some time - he had not slowed down at all. But ugh - now I am feeling I have to be extra, extra careful - but it's like how do I be any more careful than I was. Yes, we are very lucky . . . we hope my husband can heal up very soon!
@ElusiveButterfly You got that right. I am extra paranoid on the road at the moment, but it is necessary that I drive.
@much2say I've been in 2 accidents. Both were the fault of the other driver. I am still anxious at intersections and driving on a rainy day.
@nanette64 (18993)
• Fairfield, Texas
OMG @muchtosay . I'm so glad you guys are okay; he could have killed you. Most of the people today don't deserve to be behind the wheel of a vehicle.
Now that the initial shock has worn off, we do replay it in our minds - I cringe thinking it could have been the ultimate worst. Seriously, there are a lot of folks who shouldn't be on the road!
@nanette64 (18993)
• Fairfield, Texas
@much2say And I ain't gonna trust the robot vehicles either.
@nanette64 Oh me neither . . . too much can go wrong there - already has with the prototypes - no thank you!!