Did not fill up with fuel today there were long queues!

@garymarsh6 (17747)
United Kingdom
I had to go out this afternoon on a couple of errands to different places and told my wife I would fill up with petrol while I was out. Three garages I went to and there were very long queues of cars waiting to fill up. I also noticed the price of petrol has gone up yet again this week we are now paying £1.29 a litre 1.49 Euro a litre or $6.67 a gallon. It is not a special weekend this week so I don't know why the petrol stations have been so busy today. I decided that I could not wait around to fill up so I will go early in the morning before most people get up then I can drive straight in and fill up! It has been quite an eye opener since retiring 3 weeks ago I have been surprised how busy the traffic is during the day time. I only got to see the traffic during the rush hours and it was horrendous so I was looking forward to seeing how it was during normal day time.
@TheSojourner (21938)
Congratulations on the retirement, and welcome to the world of receiving less money then you do when you're working, and then the prices go up! They are anticipating that are gasoline is going to go up to $5 a US gallon here very shortly. And I was just notified that I have $300 more in rent to pay as of June 1st each month. I don't know what I'm going to do, because I am already in a situation where I can barely make all my bills.
@garymarsh6 (17747)
You are catching up with us price wise. The big difference though is distances are vast in the USA to the UK and I think many cars are automatic and larger than ours!
@garymarsh6 yes. I do have an automatic, but I have a very small and functional car. I get 39 miles per gallon.
@garymarsh6 (17747)
@TheSojourner OH my with my little car I get around 80MPG. I only filled it once every two weeks when I was at work. I will have to see how often I put petrol in now I am notworking!
Gas prices have been steadily rising here as well, we are at $2.85 a gallon and when you consider the distances many of us drive daily, it gets very expensive.
@garymarsh6 (17747)
Yes very long distances although I must say I do envy you having so much space in the USA. We are so over crowded here!
@garymarsh6 But you at least have public transport, here there is no option I can't take the train, no train and no buses anywhere near me, I have no options.
@garymarsh6 (17747)
@BelleStarr Well it is lucky if you are London as they run very frequently but in the suburbs it is not so grand plus in London the buses are heavily subsidised but some rural folks may only have two buses a day! Train travel is very expensive here in Peak times with ridiculous prices it is cheaper to fly at times!
You really are paying a lot per gallon. It is $3.19 a gallon here and that is considered too high. Summer prices are usually higher here due to summer-blend gasoline containing 1.7 percent more energy than winter-blend gas, I have no idea why there has to be different blends.
@garymarsh6 (17747)
Perhaps they put some kind of antifreeze in the gas during the winter months??
@garymarsh6 That makes sense.
@Morleyhunt (20458)
Gas prices here are not quite that high....but its gone upe about .35 /L in the last couple of months.
@garymarsh6 (17747)
Horrible isn't it!
@Morleyhunt (20458)
@garymarsh6 we aren't happy about it. I drive my car as little as possible, combining multiple tasks in one outing. (I have a 35 minute drive to anything other than a basic convenience, read expensive, store)
I noticed that also upon not working. Traffic around the clock.
@garymarsh6 (17747)
Yes quite bizarre. I must say I used to get very annoyed with pensioners out shopping at the weekend and getting in the way by blocking aisles and thinking why don't you shop in the week. They block the aisle talking about the price of baked beans increasing by a penny. SO annoying. Now I guess I am one myself I should just try and keep out of everyones way!
Gas prices are going up here.Heading to three dollars a gallon.No stopping.
@garymarsh6 (17747)
You know what they say! What goes up must come down. Lets hope so!
@Torunn (4728)
• Norway
I didn't fill yesterday but not because of the queues. The prices are a bit up and down, yesterday they were definitly up and I'm not filling for 1.71 euros per litre. I'll wait til it's back to under 1.50. I drive at very different time since I have a job that doesn't demand I'm there 8-16, so I usually avoid the rush hour. For some reasons there's often a lot of traffic around noon, but OK before and after. No idea why.
@garymarsh6 (17747)
Perhaps it is lunch time and people are going out to eat? Lord that is expensive per litre. Norway is incredibly expensive for us!
@Torunn (4728)
• Norway
@garymarsh6 Not a lot of people drive to lunch here. Packed lunch from home or cantina at work, but maybe it's the people who start working really, really early. Or quite late. Petrol prices here are some times ridiculus. It's not as if we have to buy it from another nation either! I think about 80 % of it is taxes.
@garymarsh6 (17747)
@Torunn Last week I was in Bergen and a coffee was £10 which isnearly four times the price it is in London
Wow, that is a really steep price.
@garymarsh6 (17747)
Yes quite expensive over here Marie!
@garymarsh6 I feel blessed that ours is only $2.44 a gallon.
@garymarsh6 (17747)
@Tampa_girl7 It is suprising the difference in price throughout the USA
@Gillygirl (30424)
• Sutton, England
I believe it's because of tension in the Middle East and they are cutting down supplies to the West.
@garymarsh6 (17747)
As long as it does not go mental like it did a few years back!
@Gillygirl (30424)
• Sutton, England
@garymarsh6 That was crazy. It was good for those working in Petrochem and wages shot up but I felt it would not last.
@Fleura (9691)
I need fuel too but I didn't get a chance to get there today. Sounds as though it was just as well! I also wonder about daytime traffic - where are all these people going? Don't they have jobs to go to? They can't all be travelling salepeople surely? Of course there are plenty of delivery drivers, and tradespeople going from job to job or to collect supplies, but there do seem to be more people than necessary on the roads!
@garymarsh6 (17747)
I know and dawdling along without a care in the world! I think I should stick to my very early morning shopping before most people have breakfast!
@xFiacre (7467)
@garymarsh6 petrol prices have jumped from £1.18 to £1.29 in a very short time.
@garymarsh6 (17747)
It is crazy I hope we are not returning to the ridiculous prices we saw a few years back!
We, too, have seen an increase in the cost of gas for our cars. It gets very expensive traveling around now.
It is more expensive here than in the UK, it was 1.56 Euro a litre today. The traffic is all the time horrible, no matter the hour of the day. I cannot imagine what we will see the 1st of May, with the Germans who start their vacations and come down through Switzerland to go to Italy.