Why is a patient called a patient?

By Jojo
@Sojourn (5193)
Hello Mylotters, Happy Saturday to you all. So the discussion topic is a bit quirky . But I would still like to have some opinions (however illogical it may be ) regarding the question put in the title . I think he/she is expected to be patient for getting cured of the disease. My mind is happy today as we have been planning for a trip in upcoming July with family. It might be a week long domestic trip to a beach. My father particularly trying to avoid the mountains as it will be the monsoon season and chances of landslides might be there. Are you planning to go anywhere in the coming months?
@akalinus (27037)
I am ready to go somewhere but don't have any plans.
@Sojourn (5193)
Okay.....regarding my original question do you have anything to say?
@akalinus (27037)
@Sojourn They have to patiently wait for the nurse to help them, for the food carts to bring them something to eat, for the doctor to sign them out, and for transportation to take them home.
@akalinus (27037)
@Sojourn You did ask us if we are planning to go anywhere.
@owlwings (40950)
• Cambridge, England
The question in the title is far from illogical. The word 'patient' (as a noun) comes from the present participle of the Latin verb 'patior', meaning "I am suffering". It is when one uses the word as an adjective that the logic is hard to find and one needs patience to discover it. Of course, it is because a patient person 'suffers' the pain of waiting for something to happen without complaining. Does that mean, therefore, that an 'impatient' person ('in-' is Latin prefix meaning 'not' and it becomes 'im-' before words beginning with 'm', 'p' and 'b') is not suffering? Ah, that is where language ceases to be particularly logical! Also, the word 'suffer' has changed its meaning in English. It used to mean 'to tolerate' or 'allow' as well as to experience pain or something unpleasant. It was a worry to me, as a child, that Jesus should 'suffer the little children' to come to him. Surely, he meant that he wanted them to come to him? I am not planning to go anywhere. I am patiently waiting for the mountains to come to me.
@Sojourn (5193)
I guessed so,it has something to do with being patient. Your research on the etymology is comprehensive and exhaustive yet again.
@Sreekala (31561)
Happy to get this information from you. Thank you so much.
@dya80dya (15360)
No, I don't plan anything.
@Sojourn (5193)
Summer might be a pleasant season in your country
yes if the weather gets any better.Once the Summer weather sets in.We head off to the beack.some walking in the trail etc
@Gillygirl (29921)
• Sutton, England
We will be having a vacation at the South coast in July.
@Sojourn (5193)
How long will it be?
@Gillygirl (29921)
• Sutton, England
@Sojourn 7 days, I don't like to be away much longer.
@Sojourn (5193)
@Gillygirl Yeah, it is optimum. We are planning for a week too.
@ShifaLk (12888)
Lol ya because they need to be patient haha... We're planning to visit my sister and family
@Sojourn (5193)
Ya, lol, It is always good to visit family.
@ShifaLk (12888)
@Sojourn yes. It'll be relaxing. So where are you going finally?
@Sojourn (5193)
@ShifaLk Haven't finalised yet, but probably to any hill stations within India.
I think they are called a patient because they have to be very patient. :)
@Sojourn (5193)
That's exactly I guessed
@Sojourn Great minds think alike!!
@Sojourn (5193)
@JudyEv Hehe, I'm flattered.
I just returned from a long weekend in Miami Beach.
@Sojourn (5193)
That's good.
No plans for traveling in the coming months for us. Summer is a lovely season here to stay at home. Traveling to a warmer place in winter is what we have done on many occasions.
@Sojourn (5193)
Ours are exactly opposite, to escape the scorching heat we try to move out somewhere cooler.
The patient has something wrong with them and that is why they are called a patient and the Doctor is the one who takes care of them.
@moonandstars (16343)
• Zagreb, Croatia (Hrvatska)
It's still early.
@Babino (1290)
• Morocco
i always thought we call them patients because w make them wait in the waiting room not really, gonna stay at my small town tilll the end of Ramadan then visit my family ! enjoy your trip !!
@sunrisefan (24002)
He/she has to be patient in waiting to be attended too :)
Have not been on a holiday for awhile now and no plans yet
• Peoria, Arizona
The question is, which version of the word came first, did someone have to become patient or were they a patient. Probably the word having to be patient came way before being a patient. Nope, no plans! I never go on vacation haha
@Porcospino (25180)
• Denmark
We wanted to visit Sweden during the summer, but my husband is too busy, so we will postpone the trip and travel later instead. I think we will stay here most of the summer and maybe visit some friends or spend time on the beach.
@Hate2Iron (12891)
I have to be the least patient on the planet and as far as a vacation... we are still in the thinking mode... but just maybe!!!
@Sreekala (31561)
I have no idea. This year we have no plans for travelling as my son has classes and entrance exams during the summer vacation.