The grump returns from a shopping trip!

@garymarsh6 (17721)
United Kingdom
OH lordy I have just returned from a shopping trip to a local shopping mall and to say I am not amused is an understatement. Shopping is not one of my favourite pastimes I have to say but my wife loves it. She would not dare come with me today because she knew what the outcome would be. One of our staple clothing stores for the middle aged folks is called Marks and Spencers. The quality of clothing is usually of very good quality. The sizes were always well fitting with plenty of room to move about in the clothes. Not according to Marks and Spencers who proudly claim with big posters around the store that they have responded to customer wishes and now most of their clothes are slim fit or skinny fit or tailored fit. Well I have news for Marks and Spencers it is many a year that I was slim and quite simply this is rediculous decision bearing in mind your major client base is mainly middle age and elderly people. So what the heck are they doing trying to entice younger skinny folk into their stores when the younger skinny person has ample younger stores available to them. Not only that the majority of youngsters would not find it hip to admitting buying their clothes from M&S as we fondly call it. They did this a few years ago when the stopped putting pockets on mens shirt " due to customer demands" No man on earty would want a shirt without a breast pocket. They are already having trouble with their clothing arm but their food sales are going through the roof. If they do not change back I can see them going to the wall like many other shops in the UK. My wife asked me how I got on and I told her she laughed and said and no doubt you told them what you thought. I looked at her and told her of course I did. I think she knows me too well. She is still laughing about it and thanking the lord that she did not come out with me. Do you enjoy shopping???
Heck no! I have been to M&S in the UK.
@garymarsh6 (17721)
So my friend unless you are skinny or slim don't bother coming to M&S again! Well until they see their sales plummet and they will change back no doubt!
@Gillygirl (30088)
• Sutton, England
I can only handle shopping in small doses. I am not surprised your wife is laughing. I am too.
@garymarsh6 (17721)
@Gillygirl You would either A) find it entertaining to shop with me or B) Positively cringe! My brother in law hates shopping with me. He asked if he could put his news paper in my trolley. I looked at him in disgust and said if you really have to,. When we got to the check out the lady put it through, I picked it up by the corner as if it were filthy and said in a loud voice.,, " You do understand, this does not belong to me".My brother in law called me every expletive known to man and more! It was a copy of the Sun of all papers,.I fell about laughing and so did the lady on the till. Still I guess he is still happy looking at the pictures because there is sure as hell no inteligent print inside??
@Gillygirl (30088)
• Sutton, England
@garymarsh6 It would be A) I would probably egg you on more. The Sun? What?-What? No self respecting Scouser will countenance the Sun.
@garymarsh6 (17721)
@Gillygirl I know utter disgust I tell you! I would not want my fish and chips wrapped in it either!
I actually like shopping, but not at malls . . . not anymore anyway. It's sad that certain stores feel like they have to make a drastic change in order to boost their business . . . but sometimes that bites them in the butt and get the opposite effect. IF they go back, they may have already lost a majority of their client base altogether. Yes, I do think your wife knows you very well .
@garymarsh6 (17721)
It is a bit silly in my opinion but then who cares what I think. They just want to please the younger generation I guess but they are not their client base which is daft!
@garymarsh6 It's kinda like many years back when Coca Cola decided to change the taste (or something like that) and people got mad. It was a bad business choice - they should have left well enough alone! But then they went back. I suppose M&S is trying to cash in on the younger generation - the next generation of middle aged folks .
@garymarsh6 (17721)
@much2say The funny thing is most younger people would think that M&S would harm their street cred!
bless yer heart, i thought i'd need bail funds last trip to the mall i made. i've no desire to wear plastered'n very revealin' clothin' nor gunny sack dresses.... shop. ya do realize such's a 4-letter word, correct? i despise shoppin' 'n find 't most sad that the designers seem to always win o'er common sense. i'm with ya, i like comfy clothes, ones i can move 'round'n without feelin' restricted.
@garymarsh6 (17721)
OH yes you are very sensible. It is lovely to see you here again !
@garymarsh6 aw, thanks! yup, sensible 'n tight with a penny.
All those good old shops are competing with the younger trend, it's about the money of course and they don't give a hoot about their long time clients.
@garymarsh6 (17721)
Yes I was just saying that their designers and buyers are probably very young themselves with little experience of the retail world !
Unfortunately that is the new retail world @garymarsh6 we the elderly are no longer of concern to them
@resukill22 (12014)
So far I love all there product, specially there chocolate
@garymarsh6 (17721)
There food is some of the best I grant you that!
@resukill22 (12014)
@garymarsh6 yes true
Owning anything that had a Marks and Spencer label was any young girl's dream in the good old days. But now it is a different story. I enjoy online shopping.
@garymarsh6 (17721)
Yes I don't blame you it is so time saving and money saving too!
Not really Hate it.The only time is if I need something.I do my shopping at the Dollar StoreKidding
@garymarsh6 (17721)
I am usually in and out but I was in there for nearly an hour searching for things It was rediculous!
It was wise of your wife not to accompany you to M&S. A shame that M&S is catering to a crowd that most likely will not wear the clothing offered. I do not enjoy shopping in my retired life, but I did not mind it when I was younger.
@garymarsh6 (17721)
It seems a bad business decision but then I guess the buying team will be bright young people who think about their youth!
Of course I love shopping! Our friend is a cousin of Marks, but to be honest, I enjoyed shopping in Harrod's more. Stores do have to change with the times, but I hear you. Too bad M&S doesn't.
@garymarsh6 Oh, I didn't realize that. I will have to stick with my favorite stores here in the US for now.
Sometimes I do, but I do not like the empty wallet feeling it gives me! Sounds like Marks and Spencer needs to do some market research! Not all clothing should be made for 20 somethings!
@garymarsh6 (17721)
Exactly you have hit it on the head!
@Lolaze (4146)
• St. Louis, Missouri
I hate malls! Most are closing around here due to people not shopping there anymore. Around Christmas, no one can get me into a mall for anything! That IS when they are crowded and it makes me want to punch people.
@garymarsh6 (17721)
Haha a lady after my own heart! I am pleased I am not unique!
@garymarsh6 I have to be in the mood to go shopping. Grocery shopping I have to do all the time but other shopping there are days that I enjoy it and other days I do not.
My father wants a pocket on all of his shirts. My husband got his wedding suit at Spencer's 30 years again this month. It is now too small for him.
@Fleura (9676)
No I absolutely hate shopping, thankfully it is something I rarely need to do. Browsing in charity/junk shops or book shops or even tool shops I find fun, particularly if I don't actually need to find anything in particular, but going to any sort of shopping centre with the aim of finding something in particular is a nightmare. I can manage about two shops before I am far too hot and frazzled and I need to go home!
@kareng (11913)
I only enjoy shopping when I am pain-free and those days are few and far between nowadays. I had to laugh at your wife staying at home and not going with you. My husband is the same way and hates when I speak up when something is not up to par. LOL.
@Julie555 (3208)
I don't like shopping. I can tolerate it for few hours and that is enough for me. Mostly I do my shopping online. I find it mostly convenient