Mango is related to poison ivy
May 8, 2019 11:53pm CST
I know someone that cannot eat Mangos because she is severely allergic to them. Specifically, she is extra sensitive to the toxic substance called "urushiol" which is the same substance that makes you break out with an itchy rash if you touch poison ivy. This toxin is only present in the bark, leaves and skin of the mango plant though - the fruit flesh that we eat isn't supposed to have it. I have never had a reaction to the mango plant but I have reacted to poison ivy.
8 people like this
• United States
I love them too. I think most people can just eat the fruit and not have a reaction unless they really handled the leaves or rubbed the mango skin all over them. But the woman I know must be extra sensitive cause she can't even eat the fruit, sadly.