Mango is related to poison ivy

I know someone that cannot eat Mangos because she is severely allergic to them. Specifically, she is extra sensitive to the toxic substance called "urushiol" which is the same substance that makes you break out with an itchy rash if you touch poison ivy. This toxin is only present in the bark, leaves and skin of the mango plant though - the fruit flesh that we eat isn't supposed to have it. I have never had a reaction to the mango plant but I have reacted to poison ivy.
Oh how upset that would make me since I love them.
I love them too. I think most people can just eat the fruit and not have a reaction unless they really handled the leaves or rubbed the mango skin all over them. But the woman I know must be extra sensitive cause she can't even eat the fruit, sadly.
@LovelyxOdd I scrub mine with soap and water which could also help too.
Same here but Mango`s have never bothered me.
Me either. But truth be told, I haven't handled alot of mangos with their skin. A few times but not enough to tell if I could get a rash or not.
@Aansh13 (3861)
Is it..??? That's a kind of info... Thanks for sharing. Well as far as mangoes are concerned, I just love mangoes
I love mangoes also. I think most people do not react badly to them though.
@BarBaraPrz (23163)
• St. Catharines, Ontario
I can eat mango with no reaction... as long as it doesn't touch my face. If I get some on my cheek, I get the rash.
That's interesting. But you can still handle the skin of the mango?
@BarBaraPrz (23163)
• St. Catharines, Ontario
@LovelyxOdd Not after it's cut. If it's still whole, it doesn't bother me but after I cut it I have to stay away from the edges.
@nela13 (20841)
• Portugal
I didn't know this, I love mangos and I have never had allergic reaction to this.
Me either. I also read that pistachios and cashews are related to poison oak which is why some people have allergic reactions to them. I can eat them fine.
@nela13 (20841)
• Portugal
@LovelyxOdd yes and it is the same with peanuts but I have no problem with any.
@Sojourn (5284)
I have nothing as such but my stomach gets upset if I eat too many mangoes.
@Icydoll (29586)
I'm unaware of this .
@Sreekala (31646)
I am hearing it first time, we never heard about itching related with mangoes. Mango leaves are good for cleaning teeth, adding little bit of salt.
Whoa, that's different Never heard of that.
@aninditasen (2008)
• Raurkela, India
Mangoes are not good rheumatoid.
I had no idea! I love mangoes and never had a reaction to them or poison ivy, which I avoid like crazy.