Freebies

We arrived a bit early at the restaurant for Mother’s Day, so were told they’d come to get us at the bar when our table was free. While seated at the bar, we sipped our drinks, nibbled on warmed nuts, talked to the bartenders, and listened to live music, but no one came to get us! We spoke with the hostess and had a small wait for our window table. All fine, but I still had my cocktail in my hand when a customer bumped into me and spilled my drink all over my blouse. It was cold and wet! He apologized and went on his merry way to his table. One hostess offered to pay for the cleaning of my blouse (silk) and the other handed me a couple of linen napkins. She then informed us that drinks and dessert were “on the house” and seated us immediately. My blouse dried quickly, too, and didn’t stain, thank goodness. We enjoyed our free and very overpriced red wines with our steaks and the delicious desserts. By the way, we had to carry out half our dinners in doggy bags, which we finished for dinner last night. Has that ever happened to you or is it only me?
Well that is really sweet. I stumbled in a restaurant once on New Years Day and spilled the whole plate of food I was carrying. It was a buffet. Anyway, I got hurt too because I tripped over a step. It was so embarassing... They were busy, and I don't know if anyone, other than a few diners really noticed.
Oh how awful for you! I’d die of embarrassment. Did anyone help you?
@DianneN No, I scrambled to my feet as quickly as possible. I was mortified!
@snowy22315 I feel your mortification! I stumbled on a sidewalk in front of an outdoor restaurant in Florida our first year here. As I went down, I hit my friend on her back, who complained that her back hurt afterwards. Then I landed on my knees and palms, both bloodied, and like a ball, rolled onto my back. My husband was a few paces behind talking to his friend, so I had to wait for them to get me up. No one eating at the restaurant moved a muscle! I still get mortified thinking of it.
• Lenox, Georgia
Well that's great that they were so accommodating after you had trouble there.
We are returning next week with a friend who’s been itching to eat there.
It happened to my husband, not a guest, but a waiter spilled sauce on his pants. We had the dinner for free.
. That was the least they could do!
@DianneN The sauce was a hot sauce and he was lucky not to get burnt.
@LadyDuck I thought you were talking about red tomato sauce. Silly me! Yes, hot chocolate sauce could really burn. So glad he had luck on his side. It must have been difficult cleaning that chocolate out of his pants.
Never has a spilled upon blouse been rewarded so richly.
Never, and I’ve been spilled upon many times, even by klutzy waiters.
no, nothing like this has happened to me! what are the round things on the table in your picture? but once my mom, aunt, grandma and I went to an Embassy Suites hotel for lunch in their restaurant as my cousin was working there and he could get us free drinks (soda) and dessert Glad it seemed like you had a great mother's day!
Onion rings, That’s a nice perk you had, too. My day turned out better than I had thought it would. Thanks!
@DianneN Those onion rings look quite yummy! My cooking teacher/peer and i were going to make onion rings in my air fryer last week but i could not find the Vidalia onions i needed after going to both Wal Mart and a local store. i want my onion rings! we made bacon in the oven instead!
@Marty1 I have a fabulous onion ring recipe up north for Visalia onions. They are my favorite and I use them in salads, on burgers, etc.
I have received the freebies many times but for different reasons, I am glad your blouse didn't get stained!! That has to be one of the biggest steaks I have ever seen and the onion rings look like they are on steroids lol Al would be in heaven!!
They were 22 ounce ribeye steaks and enough for a good two meals. Perhaps you can cut your onions into large slices and throw them into the air fryer for Al. . I tasted one and it was enough for a dinner!
@DianneN lol He would be very impressed with me lol
@BelleStarr I’m sure you can impress him!
@CarolDM (25209)
That is great but sorry about your blouse. I have gotten a free meal before when it wasn't cooked correctly. But never anything spilled on me.
I was relieved the blouse wan't ruined and would have sent it to the cleaners, anyway. I can't tell you how many mishaps we've had at restaurants over the years, but this restaurant handled it well. I hope nothing ever does spill on you! It's not a nice feeling. lol
@CarolDM (25209)
@DianneN That is good to hear. It is good they stepped up and took responsibility.
@CarolDM It was a nice restaurant, and overpriced, so I'm certain they didn't lose any money by doing that. However, it was kind of them. It was an accident not caused by them, after all.
That was very nice of the restaurant to offer freebies for the discomfort you had to endure. I think we have had freebies given for some little mishaps that occurred.
It's a nice sign when a restaurant wants to keep its customers happy. I would have dried off eventually, but was happy at how generous they were. Sorry you had mishaps, too, but glad you received freebies to make up for them.
@DianneN Those freebies sure can make a person feel a lot better!
@Corbin5 You’re right. I actually stopped crying,
@UncleJoe (13869)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
I've been known to spill quite a few drinks but I didn't blame somebody else.
I've never spilled a drop of the stuff myself unless I had one too many!
@UncleJoe (13869)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
@DianneN That's what I was saying. Maybe I had one or two, (or 20) too many.
@UncleJoe That's all?
@Nevena83 (23590)
• Serbia
I would agree to polish a drink for me only if I get a good dessert.
It all worked out to our benefit.
@Nevena83 (23590)
• Serbia
@DianneN Yes, I see that you have passed well.
@FayeHazel (27836)
Wow that food looks delicious. They handled that spilled drink with grace! Happy you had a nice evening it sounds like even in spite of the spill
Thank you! It was delicious and fun, in spite of the spilled drink - once I evaporated. Lol! We are going back next week, because we have a friend who has been dying to eat there,
@FayeHazel (27836)
@DianneN It sounds like a great place. Like I say, very classy of them how they handled that
@FayeHazel Thanks!
@arunima25 (18224)
• Bangalore, India
That's good of the restaurant to offer freebies for the inconvenience caused. Once in a restaurant we were not charged for a dish because it was a wrong order. We digged into it without realizing it. Later we got the dish that we got and we were not charged for the first one. We are both and they were both good.
Thank you! It's nice when restaurants treat their customers nicely. Nice to hear about your restaurant experience!
@arunima25 (18224)
• Bangalore, India
Has not but shall look around to get me in that situation
You do that!
It is only you. That has never happened to us.
We seem to have all the luck!
@ShifaLk (10259)
Didn't you get angry when he spilled the drink on you? (Although it was by chance)
I was more upset than angry. I worried that my top was ruined, and to top it all off, I was chilled and soaking wet from it. He didn't realize he banged into me, but afterwards, apologized. Accidents do happen and they seem to happen to me all the time.
@ShifaLk (10259)
@DianneN aww. I understand. Especially for Females it's heart breaking to see our dress getting spoilt. You're so cool then that you didn't get angry wow.
@ShifaLk Yes, we females like to look our best, especially when we go out. A wet and clingy blouse on me doesn't look too good.
@moonandstars (15403)
• Zagreb, Croatia (Hrvatska)
That someone will pay for spilling something on me? No, never. I'm so glad that this event didn't spoil your evening.
I'm used to getting things spilled on me. It's happened so many times. It would take something worse to let it spoil my evening. Thanks!
• Zagreb, Croatia (Hrvatska)
@DianneN When I'm at home, I get spilled tea on me all the time; I'm with you
@Thewings (3470)
Good to know that the restaurant knows the inconvenience of their customers
Thank you! The restaurant was very caring.
@Thewings (3470)
@DianneN glad to know that anyway good morning have a great day
@Thewings . Have a wonderful day too!
@debjani1 (5891)
I hadalso gone through this situation but only at home. In the restaurant, if it happened to me then that will be really embarrassing.
It was embarrassing. Somehow it always happens to me in restaurants.
@debjani1 (5891)
@DianneN be careful.
Oh god. That was a bad hit.. glad he apologized. And that was kind of the workers. Though really, the guy should've offered to pay for the cleaning of your blouse.
The staff was very kind and thoughtful. That man didn't even offer me a napkin! He was in a hurry to sit his big honey down and eat his dinner. lol. Oh, well.
@DianneN what a jerk. nothing should've been more important at the time than to apologize to you and offer a napkin or dry-cleaning, etc.
@Courtlynn I agree! Thank you.
@JustBhem (48678)
• Davao, Philippines
Wow. You are so lucky there Miss D.
After getting my drink spilled all over me, we were lucky.
@JustBhem (48678)
• Davao, Philippines
@DianneN But you enjoyed the night, I guess.
@JustBhem Yes, my top dried quickly and the food was delicious. Thank you!