You Can Cruise on a Cargo Ship

There are cargo/container ships that welcome ordinary humans as passengers. Some cargo ships take along about 12 passengers at a time. The crew usually outnumbers the passengers on a cargo ship. Cargo ship cruise information may vary a bit from ship to ship: 1. There are no live shows to entertain passengers. 2. Passengers have access to board games, videos, TV, library, rec room, bar, convenience store, whirlpool or swimming pool. 3. Dining with the captain, in casual dress, each evening is the norm. 4. Passengers are welcome to use the exercise room. 5. Cargo ships charge from $65 to $170 a day per person, meals included. 6. Luggage per passenger cannot weigh over 90 pounds. 7. A family type atmosphere between passengers and crew is characteristic of a cargo ship cruise. 8. Passengers can spend time reading, writing, or perhaps enjoy a few games of ping pong. 9. Passengers have a lot of time to sit, think, and enjoy the view of the sea without interruption. 10. Time and location of cargo ship departure can vary. 11. Ports of call not guaranteed. 12. U.S. citizens cannot travel within the USA by cargo ship. 13. U.S. citizens can make international trips aboard cargo ships. 14. Visas are needed by those traveling to the USA, except Canadians 15. A medical certificate certifying you are in good health is required. 16. Requires vaccinations for Yellow Fever vaccinations if traveling through the Suez or Panama canals. 17. Passengers have private cabins. 18. There are a lot of stairs to climb due elevators being rare on cargo ships. Photo: traveller.com.au
Wilmington, North Carolina to Antwerp, Belgium. July 2015 The Independent Pursuit It was awesome, good crew, good weather, dolphin spotting a bonus! Read abo...
I need my nightly entertainment on cruise ships, so that alone and the baggage limit would ruin my trip.
I think these cruises are for the young ones. I saw all the stairs in the video, and I would be worn out on this type of cruise.
@Corbin5 I don’t mind stairs, but I need a balcony to help prevent sea sickness. Butler service would be nice, too.
Now that sounds almost like what we went on back in 1959 except the ship we were on was an old WWII war ship that was used to transport Military troops back and forth between the USA and Europe. We could play shuffle board on deck, had 3 meals every day and private quarters. They didn't have TVs or any kind of pool for swimming but then it was a war ship
That had to be quite an experience to that WWII ship. I have a photo of the USS Wake Island on which my dad was a naval aviator. I would like to tour one of those military ships.
I was 9 and didn't give a hoot @Corbin5 we were in cramped quarters while dad was bunked with is division below us. The only thing I remember are the meals they served and looking at the ocean.
@rebelann I bet it is hard to remember the entire experience.
I think that it would be fun doing this.Like Huckleberry Finn
I think so too, my friend!
@Corbin5 As a kid always want to either Tom or Huck.Maybe Indian Joe
@amadeo Those fellows sure had some great adventures!!
Hmm, I never heard of that before. I guess it might be OK.
Well, you do avoid having to mingle with a lot of tourists. Nice and peaceful it is.
THat is all interesting and I am sure I could pass the time reading.. However, I'm not allowed on cargo ships, I'm not an ordinary person. I'm rather extraordinary.
Yes, no way would they let you board the ship!
@Corbin5 I bet this would be an interesting excursion for someone before they went off to college, or after college. Sort of a "one day I will be able to afford a nicer cruise" type thing.
@ScribbledAdNauseum I think that is definitely something a young adult would enjoy.
• Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Well I never. I know where I will plan my next escape now
Yes, and the escape won't cost a bundle!
• Wheat Ridge, Colorado
@Corbin5 I see that how reasonable the prices. Wonder if they will let you fish off the deck lol
@TiarasOceanView I bet they do!!!
@JESSY3236 (9280)
neat. But I don't think they would allow my luggage limit. And I don't like a lot of stairs.
The stairs would make me very weary. Oh well, for some folks, this would be a great trip.
Guess this might appeal to some but I'd rather have a regular cruise ship and lots of entertainment.
Yes, for young adults, this type of cruise would probably work out.
@Gillygirl (27039)
• Sutton, England
This is something I would enjoy. Especially not mingling with other tourists.
The privacy that allows you to do whatever you'd like without interruption would be a big draw for me too.
It sounds like an unique mode of travel.
I could see a lot of young adults wanting to travel this way.
@Corbin5 Thanks Deborah for sharing this with us. To me it sounds like a cargo ship sounds like more fun to me than a regular cruise. You do not have to get dressed up and can wear casual clothes.
Yes, it is more casual on a cargo ship and not a lot of tourists on the ship so you can have privacy if desired.
@Corbin5 Deborah, that sounds better to me because I like casual.
@Hannihar Me too!!
I do not even like those beautiful cruise ships, I surely would not like a cargo ship, but it could be interesting for young people I think. I had a look at the video, I got a sense of claustrophobia.
I think young adults would love this kind of travel. They could handle all the stairs involved.
@Corbin5 $170 a day it's not even cheap, you get offer for real cruises at a less expensive price.
@LadyDuck I would try to find the $65 cargo ship cruise.
@cacay1 (37062)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
Thanks my friend for this very interesting and informative topic, very nice
Thank you for your kind words, my friend!
@cacay1 (37062)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
@Corbin5 all the time my friend.
So Hubby has been wanting to take the family on a cruise . . . and I was worried about the cost. But I don't think this is something we had in mind . Maybe if I were young and single, I might consider it.
Yes, this type of cruise is for the young and single or the young marrieds.
@Corbin5 Sounds like a college student kinda thing to do .
@much2say Sounds that way to me too.
@nela13 (19739)
• Portugal
Besides it is in a cargo ship, they seem to have a lot to do on board.
Yes, so few passengers have a lot of privacy on a cargo ship.
@nela13 (19739)
• Portugal
@Corbin5 even though it is not my kind of vacation.
That's an interesting way to travel.
It would be fun to experience for a few days.
@Corbin5 Yes, it would.
• Midland, Michigan
Interesting idea for that don't have a lot of cash to spend and that don't care for the shows. When you say'ports if call not guaranteed' is that referring to being able to get off the ship and see something of the world other than water? I'm not going on out trip for the entertainment but I'm not sure about traversing all those stairs. While I should be fine after my two new knees my husband may not like it unless our cabin was on the same level as the dining room.
Yes, passengers can get off the ship to explore a bit at different ports. The ports are not full of tourists, and I think a lot of people like that. No way could I handle all the stairs. I have a knee I injured in high school gymnastics that acts up all the time. Yes, with your new knees, you could handle all those stairs.
• Midland, Michigan
@Corbin5 not my husband, though, with his prosthetic.
@debjani1 (5889)
I never travelled on cargo cruise. But I travelled on ship for 7 to 8 times. Its more or less boring.
I have never traveled on a ship, but I can imagine it would be a bit boring.
@debjani1 (5889)
@Corbin5 yes. Only u can see is water. Nothing else.
@Nakitakona (1421)
What a very comprehensive info about the cargo vessel could offer. In our place, we usually cruising to a nearby inter island via cargo ship. We call it here as barge.
I have seen barges, but have never been on one. I would like to experience that.
@Corbin5 It is common sea transports here in our place. Cars. Buses are loaded in this barge to transfer to another island. We don't bridges connecting big islands to a nearby islands. Others who don't want to take the barge take the plane.
@CarolDM (25620)
Never been on a cruise, maybe this one is for me, with less stairs.
Not sure I would want to do all that stair-climbing.
@CarolDM (25620)
@Corbin5 I would have to pass as well.