The Hair Facts - About Me

This random post idea came to me while I was in the shower this morning, because you know, I have a lot of hair . - My hair has always been thick and curly. - The shortest I've ever had it (once it grew out as a kid anyways) is my shoulders. I won't cut it any shorter, though it has tempted me many times! - It's always been a light - medium brown. Besides the one time I dyed it black, at age 18. Which only lasted about 3 months though, as the boyfriend didn't like it and I myself wasn't totally into it like I thought I would be. - When I was a kid, I constantly had lice, because other kids parents weren't taking the proper care of them when they had it. So much so that I almost had my mom shave my head at age 7. And then after 12+ years without it, I ended up with it again in 2016, because my nieces and nephews mom gave the kids to us for a weekend, without telling us they had it. And we never saw it. And it took THREE bottles of the lice stuff - plus coconut stuff, to get it all out. - When I was 15 and pregnant, I got really impatient with a huge knot that was in the front of my hair that I cut it out, leaving a bad bangs cut. - Most of the time, my hairs either in a bun or ponytail. As the only times I leave it down, is after I wash and brush it, and when it's straightened. - And speaking of straightening it.. My hairs so thick, that I use to have my ex-bestfriend straighten it with a clothes iron. Then go over it with a straightener to make sure all the curls were out.
A clothes iron! Holy cow! I thought I had thick hair!
I always thought it was weird, when it was happening.. but it turns out a lot of people have actually done it.
@maezee @Courtlynn is your cousin a lot older then you? When my mom was a teen in the 70s super straight hair was the style so everyone straightened it with an iron. I did mine a dozen times or so with a cermaic flat iron? I haven't used it in over 5 years now so I gave it to my niece.
You've had your share of hair problems. That's gutsy straightening it with a clothes iron.
Oh yes! And still going, LOL. I guess so. But my hairs still very healthy, and I've learned that many people have done the same.
@Courtlynn I'm glad you have healthy hair. That's important no matter what you do to it.
@just4him yes! definitely. my cousins have dyed their hair so much, that it's not healthy at all. thinning out, and not soft like ever. i'd hate to have mine that way. but then thin hair and bald spots ran in one side of my family.
I wish I had curly hair mine is straight. My one brother had long curly hair he looked like lion king. Really he did.
I love it, but hate it. especially when it's hot out and it frizzes! Ugh. My mom has wavy - curly hair, but my brothers is really curly, when long. we get it from my dads side.
• Rupert, Idaho
I think that is cool to share about your hair facts! Sorry to hear about the lice, that would be frustrating to deal with, I'm sure! Luckily I have never had it.
you are lucky to have never had it. But now that your son is going into Kindergarten, be extra careful. make sure to check him, often.
• Rupert, Idaho
@Courtlynn Definitely not looking forward to that! He luckily didn't catch it in pre-school even though one girl seemed to have it a lot.
@MommyOfEli2013 i'm glad he didn't. that poor girl.. hope it was like in my case, where she was just the one who always got it from others, and not the opposite, with her parents not treating her and looking out for it.
My hair is thick and curly like yours. I used to iron it with a clothes iron before straighteners were invented. I still straighten my hair with a straightener which is much easier than with a clothes iron.
I don't think yours can be as thick and curly as mine then. because I can't use a straightener until after the clothes iron does most of the work.
@Courtlynn Your hair is thicker and curlier than mine, for sure!!
@FayeHazel (27932)
Wow! Interesting post. Adventures in hair. I did a do it yourself bangs once, too. Wow at clothes iron.
Unfortunately, I wasn't trying to do my own bangs.. just trying to get the knot out and REALLY short bangs happened, lol. least the knot was finally gone like I wanted! . I SO hated how I looked though.
@FayeHazel (27932)
@Courtlynn lol. If it makes you feel better I was cutting out a curler. I came to like bangs after awhile though. Did you like yours after a bit?
@FayeHazel no. Lol.
@bunnybon7 (40426)
• Holiday, Florida
You do have beautiful hair. Have you ever thought of trying to get into one of those hair commercials? Make lots of money I bet.
thank you. I have not, as I'd never want to be on tv - in any way.
@bunnybon7 (40426)
• Holiday, Florida
@Courtlynn oh, okay.
@Tina30219 (41361)
• Onaway, Michigan
Wow never knew you could do your hair with a clothes iron.
yes. many have done it, people just don't talk about it I guess, lol
@Tina30219 (41361)
• Onaway, Michigan
@Courtlynn Right lol
@moffittjc (53759)
• Gainesville, Florida
My hair is thick and wavy, which I don't like at all, so I keep it cut close. Not quite a buzz cut, but pretty close.
same with my brother, except his is really curly when long enough.
@moffittjc (53759)
• Gainesville, Florida
@Courtlynn My son's hair is like that. His hair is curly like his mother's. My daughter's hair is thick and wavy just like mine.
I've never had lice, but some students in my schools were sent home with them. I can imagine how awful it was getting rid of them. Like you, I have thick hair, but it's not curly, just a bit wavy. When I was a teen, I used to iron it until I singed it so badly. PU did that stink like burning flesh. I've had my hair all lengths over the years. When I got married, It was halfway down my back. The shortest was when I got the Dorothy Hamil (Olympic figure skater) cut that some people called the Hamil Camel. My husband doesn't like short hair on women, so I let it grow long again. Now I wear it about chin length. It's miraculous how it doesn't get bushy when it's humid out anymore. I do get it multi-highlighted, and get compliments on my colors and styles, so both hairdressers have gotten lots of business off me. Years ago I was even in a hair show. The worst time was when a hairdresser used someone else's black color on me. I looked awful for weeks and weeks.
very awful. wish parents would keep their kids home when they have it, and check them more often for it! my boyfriend doesn't like short hair on women either, and honestly, neither do I. least not for most women, as their are some women who can have it short and it not look bad. that's great they've gotten a lot of business off of you. yikes!
I can relate.I have always had thick hair too. It is still pretty thick even at my age. My mother used to have a framed picture of me on her dresser and my hair looks like a bush..honestly...it was the thickest hair I ever saw on anybody! I would thin it though...most of the time.
mines really thick in the back. My mom always calls me a lion when I brush it out and it frizzes LOL.
@Courtlynn Yes, I can relate!
Oh lice. The devil of the bug world. I dyed my hair black once and everyone called me Snow White since I was so pale.
Thankfully i tan alot during the summer and i dyed it i think in the fall. Id hate that lol.
When I was younger I had to have perms to get body and curls.
Someone i went to middle school with had to too, and many made fun of her for how it looked.
My hair used to be nice and thick but is so much less so after having kids. I wish mine was nice and thick like yours. The shortest I had it was in 8th grade it was to my shoulders. It looked awful. The longest I had it was a few inches past my butt if I recall and I had that cut on my honeymoon and donated it to locks of love. It was so long they did they'd be able to make two wigs with it.
I've heard that a lot of women lose their hair once they have kids. Sometimes wish I had.. lol. I've come close to having mine to my butt, but it's always too annoying so it gets cut before it can get there. that was a great thing you did! my aunts only son did that, and he's only 6. now he wont go back to long hair though. (thankfully!)
I used to iron my hair when I was a teen, it was the easiest way to get the curls out. Though with a little humidity they come right back lol
ugh, yes! so annoying. and nothing works for my frizz either. So straight or not my hair is all poof and a mess.
I love curly hair. I only have wavy hair, and as it greys it gets stubborn and has less of a nice wave to it.
Sorry to hear that.