State of Alabama passes a strict anti-abortion law

@ptrikha_2 (14171)
In a major move, the state if Alabama in US passed a law banning abortions, except in certain medical cases where mother's life is at risk. The voting in favor of bill in the Senate was 25-6. An exception for cases of rape and incest was moved by Democrats but it was rejected by 11-21. I think at least that exception should have been made. Now as per sources, passing this bill in one state itself won't make much difference and would perhaps need majority of the 50 states to pass the bill. What are your views on it? Source :
Alabama Gov. Kay Ivey on Wednesday signed into law a controversial abortion bill that could punish doctors who perform abortions with life in prison.
@arunima25 (18348)
• Bangalore, India
I personally feel that if the pregnancy is due to rape then the mother should have a say in this. She might want to keep the baby or abort it. Having a baby who is a product of heinous crime in front of you all the life might be traumatic. While many might take the child as a blessing from God and would like to keep it. So the choice should lie with the lady.
@ptrikha_2 (14171)
@arunima25 yes taking away that choice is not good.
@ptrikha_2 (14171)
@arunima25 Yeah and in a way Anti-abortion move is a kind of retrogade step. Rather focus on educating youngsters and teenagers on the risk of unwanted pregnancies and using contraceptives to check them.
@ptrikha_2 (14171)
@arunima25 well in India, it is a taboo topic among some communities, and rest people are ignorant of many things.
I’m against this bill. A woman has the right to do to her body what she and her doctor feel is right.
@ptrikha_2 (14171)
@DianneN yeah and at least there should be a choice in unfavorable cases.
@DianneN I fully agree with you Dianne, this law will cause many problems. In countries were the abortion is illegal many women die due to clandestine abortion. What a stupid decision!
@ptrikha_2 (14171)
@DianneN are other states too discussing such anti-abortion bills in US, as in Alabama.
WRONG! There are cases where a woman must be able to take her own decision, this is not a good law.
@ptrikha_2 (14171)
@LadyDuck yes there must be a choice. For educating youngsters about Teenage pregnancies, and the precautions that can be taken, there are other choices.
@ptrikha_2 (14171)
@LadyDuck I do not understand as to what caused the Alabama senators to pass the law? May be too many cases where the married folks were getting abortions? Still exceptions should have been made.
@cacay1 (37062)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
@LadyDuck, I side you on this matter.
@Sreekala (30262)
I too support your views on rape cases as well. No girl wish to become a mother in that way.
@ptrikha_2 (14171)
@Sreekala the movers of this bill should have allowed an exception in such a case, but they did not do so. I hope this is corrected in the future.
@cacay1 (37062)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
@Sreekala, that is true, a young victim of rape once got pregnant will never like the fetus to form into human, thus girl's parents with girl's consent to abort the fetus to avoid too much distress on their side,plus her peer may not stop bullying her. For me, it is still wrong, for the baby could be put to adoption centers
@ptrikha_2 (14171)
@cacay1 well suppose such a child who is a product of rape is bought up by some other parents. Yet one day he or she somehow comes to know of his or her origins. Then their life would be tormented and they could be in depression or seeking revenge. Such things could be good for a movie plot, but the real life affected folks would be in terrible state of mind. And our societies do not have time, resources and the compassion to stand by such folks. Instead, some people could take pleasure in tormenting them. So abortion in such cases is better to avoid having such folks face such hurdles.
@1hopefulman (41116)
No matter what laws man passes or doesn't pass, I believe in the sanctity of life and that life begins at conception.
@ptrikha_2 (14171)
@1hopefulman well I too believe in the sanctity of life but real life conditions vary a lot.
@GooglePlus (1442)
Indeed its a good news.. but would like to know was your city/country had problems like gender bias thing where parents opt for abortion once they come to know its a girl? But sad part is it got some loop holes too (I read ur post only and not that law..) Now a lawyer can prove all the abortion to be legal saying... Mother was at risk
@AKRao24 (22468)
I feel this is an atrocity against women! They must have the right to abort, for there are n number of reasons for which they opt! Just think how tough decision that can be from a mother to deprive herself from nature's most beautiful gift of being becoming mother! I feel that this decision should be left to the mothers!
@ptrikha_2 (14171)
@AKRao24 people can be advised to avoid abortion if they can, but banning outright is not right.
@ptrikha_2 (14171)
@AKRao24 yeah such abortions by unlicensed or unqualified folks would be even worse.
@cacay1 (37062)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
In Phils. abortion is a crime, against the law and those who were caught doing this immoral and illegal activity will be punished and sanctioned accordingly.This is killing;thereby, a crime.
@ptrikha_2 (14171)
@cacay1 why such a harsh law? And are exceptions allowed?
@ptrikha_2 (14171)
@cacay1 and what are the arguments of the priests?
@Thewings (4212)
I think it's a good step
@ptrikha_2 (14171)
@Thewings but what if unwanted pregnancies, where a boy does not agrees to marry a teenage girl who has got pregnant? It is not such a simple issue.
@ptrikha_2 (14171)
@Thewings but an outright ban would be difficult to monitor and tough for mothers and their family too.
@LovelyxOdd (1313)
I do not agree with this bill.. and it's already causing an uproar in America.
@ptrikha_2 (14171)
@LovelyxOdd Such a bill is bound to cause an uproar.