Fun facts about Queen Victoria.

@garymarsh6 (18455)
United Kingdom
Snippets of information about Queen Victoria. These are some little bits of information about Victoria the first I find quite amusing. Electricity. A few years ago I visited Waddesdon Manor in Buckinghamshire. This beautiful country house was built by the Rothschilds and was one of the most modern houses built around that time. It was the first house that had been completely modernised and built in the style of a French Chateaux. Queen Victoria visited the manor and for the first time saw this new fandangled electricity supply. She was so impressed with it that she spent the whole of dinner turning the lights on and off. (She was so taken by it she actually missed out eating dinner) Assassination attempts. Queen Victoria has several assassination attempts on her life. On one occasion she was actually hit on the head by a member of the public. Some had attempted to shoot her fortunately missing but she was lucky enough to have survived every attempt. Most of the attempted assassins were sent to mental institutions. Languages. Queen Victoria was multi lingual. She spoke English, French, German, Italian, Latin and learnt Urdu and Hindustani. She often spoke in German to her husband. Residencies. Queen Victoria was the first Monarch to live in Buckingham Palace. The palace is owned by the state. Windsor castle is also state owned. Balmoral castle in Scotland was bought for Queen Victoria by Prince Albert. Owned by Queen Victoria. Osbourne House re designed and built for the family on the Isle of Wight. It is built in the style of an Italian Palace. Owned by Queen Victoria These were the four main residences of Queen Victoria although she had access to many other palaces around the country should she have wished. World fame. There are many places and monuments named after Victoria around the world. Canada has many. Lake Victoria in Kenya, Victoria falls, Zimbabwe, Victoria peak in Hong Kong, Queensland Australia and the state of Victoria also in Australia. There are still statues around the world of Queen Victoria clock towers to mark her jubilees. We have two such monuments in my town. The clock tower and also the Victoria education centre and statue of her. Golden Jubilee In 1887 fifty Kings Queens and Princes joined the celebration of 50 years of Queen Victoria’s reign. The Desk. The desk used by the President of the United States in the oval office was a gift from Queen Victoria to President Hayes in 1880. It was built from wood from HMS Resolute.
@Ronrybs (9335)
• London, England
Have to say that the Victorians went overboard on decorating things. That desk is far too ornate for my taste! Have you read the first Flashman book? I know that Flashy says something in Hindi, but I can't remember if she could speak it, at the time. I think the Duke of Wellington was there and knew what it meant
@garymarsh6 (18455)
No I have not read it. The Victorians left a lot of good and some not so good marks on the world especially around London. The great stations around London and the museums.The Albert Hall. All from the Victorian era!
@Ronrybs (9335)
• London, England
@garymarsh6 I think the sewer system is probably one of the most important things!
She had quite a life. I can imagine electricity would amaze and amuse her. I wonder how she would have been with the telephone. I have noticed there are a lot of places around the world named in her honor. I knew about the desk but didn't know how it came to be.
@garymarsh6 (18455)
It is funny when you think these new developments came about during her reign. She was the first Queen to ride a train, use a television and to have electricity installed in the palace.
@Fleura (9942)
@garymarsh6 I guess she had a long life so a lot of things happened during that period!
@Fleura Yes, it did.
I've been to Osbourne House on the Isle of Wight.
@garymarsh6 (18455)
I love Osbourne house. Did you know you can stay there in the cricket pavillion that has been turned into a little cottage! You get free access to all the grounds!
@garymarsh6 My husband and I stayed with people I knew from London in their cottage in the village of Chillerton. They had moved there as old age pensioners. So there was no need to look for accomodation elsewhere.
@Nevena83 (29601)
• Serbia
I'm not sure I'd like to live like a queen, maybe I just want to have her money.
@garymarsh6 (18455)
Yes it is not at all what most people think. The Queen is very disciplined and works very hard every day!
@Nevena83 (29601)
• Serbia
@garymarsh6 Yes, that is a really hard job and I would not like to live her life.
Queen Victoria really was a very complicated woman. I did see a documentary about Queen Victoria regarding her role as a mother. I think she suffered from postpartum depression due to her difficulties when it came to raising her children. That is one very lovely desk from Queen Victoria. My husband has seen it in person, but I have not.
@garymarsh6 (18455)
Yes I do not think she was particularly motherly as the children were brought up by nannies and govenesses! .
@garymarsh6 Yes, I think she did not feel well for whatever reasons. I know she loved her children, but life was rather hard for her emotionally.
She was surely an amazing intelligent woman. I have seen the Victoria Memorial in London.
@garymarsh6 (18455)
There are a lot around Anna.
@garymarsh6 I have seen several statues of Queen Victoria, also in Canada (Vancouver). It is on the lawn in front of the B.C. Legislative buildings, a beautiful statue where she appears young and slim.
@1creekgirl (16788)
This was such an interesting post...thanks! Was Queen Victoria the one who drank from her finger bowl after a guest did, so as not to embarrass the guest?
@garymarsh6 (18455)
Yes she did apparently. I think it was the Shah of Persia.
@1creekgirl (16788)
@garymarsh6 I love that about her and I'm proud to be a Vicki, although not a Victoria.
I'm a bit surprised she knew so many languages. She was pretty remarkable too, wasn't she? Much like Queen Elizabeth is.
@garymarsh6 (18455)
Absolutely!
@dya80dya (16295)
I think it's not easy to be a queen.
@garymarsh6 (18455)
You are right. Imagine having to meet people you really would not like to meet and you have no choice because of protocol. Not having the choice to take a day off because you felt like taking a rest. Listening to boring people and to keep smiling. It is a duty and huge commitment.
@Fleura (9942)
There's a statue of her in my nearest town too, to mark her jubilee. I believe Albert bought Balmoral because it reminded him of his native area of Germany.
@garymarsh6 (18455)
Yes it is quite isolated up there! When we went you could barely see the castle but I did see the Queen mother.
I knew that about the desk in the oval office. Very interesting what you wrote.
@garymarsh6 (18455)
Thank you Judy. Yes at least it is still being used today!
that is a beautiful room.I have seen a few movies about her. Funny but very interesting.Thank you gary
I think she must hold the record for places named after her. Also Victorian era and Victorian style architecture.
I love that desk!
@Gillygirl (32924)
• Sutton, England
Our Vicky forgot to eat whilst playing light switches. She must have stuffed herself later.
Wow, what fascinating facts ...... I got a good giggle imagining the Queen turning the lights on and off like that. I would have giggled.
@simone10 (30841)
Wow, those are some great facts. I enjoyed reading about her. I love history.
@kareng (13835)
@garymarsh6 Very interesting read. Learned some new stuff too :)
@dgobucks226 (17996)
It seems Queen Victoria was quite popular accept for the mental patients trying to assassinate her Very interesting facts! She had quite a number of landmarks named in her honor..