The Bear

A woman somewhere in this area got a picture of a bear which walked right up to her door.I am going to hope the local paper has info on it, and the story made it in before it went to press. Her dogs scared it away. That would be a combination of fascinating and scary. More scary I think. After one of the dogs scared the bear, he killed a copperhead, just a few minutes later. She is thankful her dogs are so protective! Friend is going to mount a trail camera in the woods behind my house. Even though I would be surprised to see a bear there, I would not be shocked. One night I was on the porch, and I heard guttural noises, which had to have been coming from a large animal. What species it was, I have no idea...I didn't hang around long enough to find out! Do you have any bear in your area?
@Bensen32 (2951)
Oh well at least you didn't go check to see what it was. We don't have bears, we only have small animals around us maybe the biggest worry is Coyotes and they are more threat to small dogs and cats than to humans.
We have coyotes, but not sure I have seen one. I did see a very large fox behind the house once, and what I surmise was a coyote once on the road..as the gait did not look like a dogs. I was not about to check what it was! I got my little or not so little butt...into the house!
@Bensen32 (2951)
@snowy22315 Yea, we don't see the coyotes often but they are around. yea best to just go inside and stay safe then find out the hard way that it is an animal you don't want to fight.
@Bensen32 I carry a walking stick if I go out for a walk..I am not really afraid, but better to be safe than sorry. It would be dogs that would bug me not a wild critter.
• Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Well they are not far from here as they keep coming into the suburbs at times Snowy. I had never seen one up close though.
I saw one one time when we were camping in Shenandoah it was maybe 75 yards away,,just looking for food. It didn't scare me. One ran in front of our car on the Blue Ridge Parkway too,
• Wheat Ridge, Colorado
@snowy22315 Oh wow Snowy..I am a bit scared of bears.
@TiarasOceanView I wouldn't want to come face to face with one..but as long as they are at a distance minding their own business, I don't find them scary.
I know not to move in that area. That is one reason I don't want to live by a bunch of trees and wooded areas.
It is rare for an animal to come after a human, but it does happen from time to time.
@snowy22315 I hear about it a lot with family pets and some wild too. I will stay inside for now. lol.
@Janet357 (14439)
Why do bears loiter there? Is it because they sre hungry? I have never seen a bear in real life, you are fortunate. Gosh, i would love to hug them. Are they so aggressive?
Not usually unless they think you are a threat to their cubs. There was a lady who was seriously injured by one..when she was just walking to her mailbox. Good thing she had her cell with her. That wasn't here..though it was in NW Maryland.
@Janet357 (14439)
@snowy22315 we dont have bears here not even a black bear, very sad, do you feed them is you see them?
@Janet357 No, it would be dangerous to feed them. The goal is to have them find their own food.
@moonandstars (15538)
• Zagreb, Croatia (Hrvatska)
I think not and, I would only run or hide from it. Better the second
I think they can be very determined when they want something..I just hope they don't want anything here!
• Zagreb, Croatia (Hrvatska)
@snowy22315 If you don't have honey, like me, we're safe, I think
• Caracas, Venezuela
Not at all, If I had I would be freaked out. I am scared of all animal that's bigger than me. :)
Don't blame you
• Caracas, Venezuela
@snowy22315 thanks haha
That would be very scary. I'm glad the dogs scared it away. Was it the dogs or the bear that got the copperhead? Good idea mounting a trail camera.
The dogs. Darn, I checked the local paper online, they had nothing..it must have been after the deadline to go to press. It is a good paper, but only comes out once a week.
@snowy22315 You'll need to wait a week for the news about it. I'm glad the dogs got the copperhead.
No bears in our area, thank goodness. Coyotes will be spotted in front lawns in the wintertime, but that is about it.
They are in this county too, and in most of the East now..My uncle saw one in NW Pennsylvania, and that was in the 70's.
@sugartoes (47559)
• Greencastle, Indiana
wild animals love the dark where they can't been seen that's the way they hunt but as far as bears in our area we've never seen any SO FAR being we're in the woods.
OF the two bears I have seen in the wild, both were daytime occurences..but yes, I am sure they do the majority of their foraging..from dusk until dark, and in the very early morning hours. I think when bears are hungry they will go out anytime really though.
Only the grumpy human variety.
@Spontaneo (3415)
Nope...