I bought a dress

I know! I know what your thinking. What? You! bought dress? you? Yeah, I did. However, I think it's going to end up being more of a long shirt on me. I don't know, I haven't tried it on. It's in the washer along with all of my other shirts. About 8 in total, all for $35.00. Yeah, I went to goodwill. Saving money and getting clothes, that's me! What's the cheapest you've spent on a clothing shopping spree?
Shopping is such a happy activity and sure it should be announced (lol)
I don't really go on clothing shopping sprees but I will sometimes buy a few garments at the yardsale/thriftshop the church runs..You can make out like a bandit there for 5.00 bucks maybe. It is totally amazing! I saw a dress at another shop that was a great summer dress..I don't know how much they were selling it for..I am not really a dress wearer..but there is an event that I might attend where I could wear it.
I am not a big dress wearer either. I didn't even wear a dress for my wedding. I prefer pants and a nice dressy blouse. I have thought that I should own atleast one dress though.
@ScribbledAdNauseum I will wear skirts from time to time, but not dresses.
@kareng (12130)
The stores around here have gone up on prices so much you may as well go buy brand new clothes. Sounds like you got a decent deal if the clothes are in good shape.
I've been told that some other goodwill's are cheaper, but the ones in my area are more expensive. OF course, this wasn't about the clothes but the other things they have.
@kareng (12130)
@ScribbledAdNauseum We had a Salvation Army open a new store here and they had super low prices on everything. I was in the habit of going in and picking up some vintage/antique dishes and was shocked to see the price change on a recent visit. Sometimes jacking the prices up way high keeps good customers they already had away.
@kareng Yes, and it's sad that some places do that. I love antique dishes and stuff like that. Like the Ruby Red collection that Avon had, but there are copycats out there so you have to be careful. I am going to be going to a thrift store again soon. I am hoping I can find some nice tops and a few pairs of shorts.
@simone10 (29616)
My daughter used to go to Goodwill all the time and found name brand clothing with the tags still on.
I saw one or two like that today. I was raised on hand me downs. The goodwill I go to has excellent stuff. The one closer to me? It's like a whole other country like I was telling the cashier today.
@simone10 (29616)
@ScribbledAdNauseum my daughter shopped there a lot and had some cute stuff. Just remember to check everything for bedbugs.
@simone10 Thank You, very good reminder!
That dress will be a nice item of clothing to wear. I have gotten quite a few bargains at the resale shops here.
I tried it on. It will have to be something I wear with leggings. It's just a little too short. I mean, other people might rock that short of a dress, but not me. My great grandmother, if she were still alive, would say "That dress is so short you can see her hairs!" That's too short fo rme.
@ScribbledAdNauseum Well, with leggings, it will be fine.
@Corbin5 Yes and I already have a pair or two of leggins that would be perfect for it. It's blue with white polka dots.
I got into dresses again only last year (I had to get out of this mommy look ). I love the ones that can be casual yet fashionable - depending how you dress it up or down (but in most cases I like only to simply slip it on and be done ). I go to thrift shops often, so I tend not to go on a "spree" - I try to find dirt cheap so it limits my buying. It's sort of a hobby for me to dig for dresses that are less than $3 - dare I say closest to $1 after a markdown and sale.
I absolutely love the thrill of finding something that I like but that is dirt cheap as you put it. I know that Goodwill has dresses and some of them are okay, but not really my style. I need to go to the salvation army but the closest one isn't too close. Maybe one day I'll find a reason to be on that side of town other than to go to the salvation army though. What thrift stores do you get your clothing at?
@ScribbledAdNauseum Yah, it IS a thrill ! I like a lot of different styles - but I'm being extra picky these days . . . I really should be getting rid of more stuff than bringing more in . We have a lot of thrift stores out here. Here, the Goodwills have their color tag on sale for $1 on Thursdays - locally there are at least 5 stores around. The Rescue Mission (3 stores) and a thrift store for the blind (not ever was sure what the name was) has 25% discount days on Tuesdays. Hope of the Valley (2 stores) have discount days on Tuesdays and Thursdays. I think Salvation Army has sales on Wednesdays, but I don't go there very much - no reason, I just don't drive by that way I guess. Oh - and I sometimes go over to the next county (just a hop over the hill) . . . they have some mom and pop type thrift stores that I love too.
@much2say I am not sure if our goodwills have a tag sale for $1.00 around here. The man I am dating says that the goodwills near me are more expensive than the ones near him. I was talking to another lotter who says there is a thrift store for the blind near her, I've never heard of one near me. The Rescue Mission sounds familia rnad actually reminds me of Storehouse for Jesus, I've never been there though, and I think it's actually more of a pantry. I am going to see if our salvation army has sales on Wednesdays and if so, I'll go there on a Wednesday. There's a Megathrift here but I've never been, I think it's more like a Roses though, which is sort of like a Gabe's, if you've never heard of Roses.
@Porcospino (25465)
• Denmark
I buy second hand skirts and dresses sometimes. They usually cost about $5. I once went to a second hand store where we were able to fill a bag with clothes. I think that price was about $7 for the entire bag, that is probably the cheapest clothes I have ever bought. I am going to visit a second hand store tomorrow. I would like to find some cheap skirts (black)
Good luck on finding some nice skirts. Oh, wow $7 for an entire bag? I bet there are some savvy people out there that know how best to get the clothes in the bag to increase the space that they can add more clothes.
@Porcospino (25465)
• Denmark
@ScribbledAdNauseum I bought a skirt, a dress and a t-shirt. The second hand store I went to is going to close down in two months and they want to get rid of the last things, so that everything was really cheap today.
@Porcospino Oh veyr lucky you. I did find some nice things at a second hand store that was closing but tha twas years ago. I actually didn't buy many clothing items at that time, mostly books. I need to do some research and see about some second hands tores that I may not know about in my area.
I do not see you as a dress person. But neither am I and i have about 3 that ive worn the last 4 years and one i just got a few months ago when our sears was closing.
I think the last time I wore a dress was when I was 17. That was over a decade ago now. I just do not like wearing dresses. I do like longer shirts though, especially if they are a little looser on me. I get my night shirts? I get those about two sizes too big. I have felt like I need to own atleast one dress, I just haven't picked the perfect one yet.
@Courtlynn It's been a long time since dresses were customary for anything having to do with church. As long as you look nice, I think most churches don't care.
@ScribbledAdNauseum i wouldnt know havent been to one in 6 years
@Gillygirl (30942)
• Sutton, England
I have bagged some bargains in the past.
I am definitely going back to this location.
@Gillygirl (30942)
• Sutton, England
Sounds like you had a good haul from the Goodwill. Fun. Dresses are nice in the summer.
It will have to be a shir ton me. Others might wear it as a dress, but it's too short for me to do so.
@ScribbledAdNauseum ......I know what you mean.
@nela13 (21101)
• Portugal
I love shopping on sale, I always find some good deals.
This store is a corporation of "thrift" stores. It's more of a gimmick. People donate to them their old clothes, furniture etc, and they re-sell the items. They have charities but how much they actually give? I'm not sure. Either way, the shirts are about $3.50,$1.50 for tank tops, and people give away good clothes so I have some nice stuff now. I paid $3.50 per shirt, but some of these shirts were easily $8.00 or more.
@nela13 (21101)
• Portugal
@ScribbledAdNauseum some people donate new clothes, you did good deals.
@Nevena83 (27365)
• Serbia
It sounds like good shopping.
I was in need of some new clothes. I almost bought a few pairs of pants (with elastic so I knew they'd fit) but I decided not to.
@Nevena83 (27365)
• Serbia
@ScribbledAdNauseum Oh, I need a lot of new clothes, but I can not buy it.
@JustBhem (52119)
• Davao, Philippines
I think I bought a shirt for $2 in a thrift store where they sell second hand clothes and other stuff.
I love getting things for cheap. That $2.00 shirt was probably twice as much originally.
@JustBhem (52119)
• Davao, Philippines
@ScribbledAdNauseum I think so, and I still have it.
@didinedhia (7579)
• Algeria
whywhat is wrong with you bying dress??
Nothing is wrong per se, I just don't usually wear dresses.
• Algeria
@ScribbledAdNauseum and i don't usually even buy clothes
@moonandstars (16945)
• Zagreb, Croatia (Hrvatska)
Dress, why not? I also bought one but, it's not warm enough. I think it was 2 dollars on a t-shirt when I was in a high school.
I don't wear dresses really. I'm just not that much of a girly girl. I tried the thing on and while some other girls might be able to pull it off as a dress, it didn't go very much passed my thighs. I will wear leggings with it.
• Zagreb, Croatia (Hrvatska)
@ScribbledAdNauseum It's good when you can adjust to suit you. Great!
@1hopefulman (41899)
I usually buy items as I need them and can spend just a few dollars at times when I see something on sale. If I buy a suit then it usually a few hundred dollars.
I don't buy clothes very often at all. Splurging on this? I mean, wow, the last time I really splurged was a few years ago, and I spent $100.00 on clothes I never wear. These I'll atleast wear.
@1hopefulman (41899)
@ScribbledAdNauseum If I buy something I wear till it falls apart.
@Sojourn (5332)
That's really a good bargain!! I don't buy clothes too if I don't have too.
I can go years without buying clothes, or even shoes.
@Sojourn (5332)
@ScribbledAdNauseum Just like me.
I just got a nice dress from Aliexpress it was $6 and I am waiting on 2 other sundresses both were $6 each. This will be nice when I begin wearing them. I am going to get more but I want to wait until those arrive in here first.
I have been thinking about getting a dress. I'd want something with thin sleeves. I might look to see what aliexpress has but I'm not sure what size dress i wear so maybe I should try a few on before I buy any online. This "dress" was more like a long shirt on me, I will ear it with leggings.
@ScribbledAdNauseum That is how my house dress is. I have them from Walmart they look like dresses.
I don't remember what I spent but I do remember getting a pile of clothes at once from the thrift shop. Some items became my favourites. Last month I got a spring jacket for $5 that I love!
$5.00 for a jacket? Now that is a steal!
I honestly cannot remember the cheapest I have spent on a clothing shopping spree. I remember that I got a nice shirt for $3 during a sale and a dress for $7, I still have it.
I love finding the best deals. I've gotten a pair of jeans that I still wear today? For $1.00. Well they are technically "Jeggings" but still.
@ScribbledAdNauseum We have a clothing store not far from home that offers interesting deals during the sale season. I usually find my size and I was able to bought very nice dresses, trousers and shirts at a very low price.