Pub Sign Study The Queens Larder Queen Square London

Photo taken by me – pub sign for  The Queens Larder Queen Square London
Preston, England
This is quite a funny looking sign, but it is based on a fascinating real story. The sign depicts a queen, still in her crown, opening a larder cupboard door to find there is no food left, much to the disappointment of the watching dog. This is reminiscent of the nursery rhyme of Old Mother Hubbard finding a bare cupboard and not even a bone for the dog. Now the reality behind the sign. In 1788, King George iii of Britain succumbed to the strongest of several periodic bouts of apparent insanity, now attributed to the physical illness Porphyry. He was treated by a Doctor called Francis Willis, at his house in Queen Square. The Queen, Charlotte, rented what is now the pub as a food store for the time they stayed with Willis. The events featured in the Alan Bennett play and movie, The Madness Of King George, starring Nigel Hawthorne (as the King) and Ian Holm as Willis. Helen Mirren played Queen Charlotte. Arthur Chappell
@LindaOHio (5028)
Neat sign. I've seen the movie, The Madness of King George.
• Preston, England
@LindaOHio great movie
Colorful and whimsical in modernistic style.
This is an interesting sign for a pub, the poor dog does not look happy.
• Preston, England
yes the poor dog is going hungry
@arthurchappell Nothing to eat is something pets dislike.
• Preston, England
@LadyDuck Can't say I blame them
@Sojourn (5347)
A nice anecdote.
• Preston, England
@Sojourn (5347)
@arthurchappell Did the king's insanity got a cure eventually? I think a tincture of St John's Wart was the only medicine in that period.
• Preston, England
@Sojourn Yes, he did snap out of it eventually
@moonandstars (17068)
• Zagreb, Croatia (Hrvatska)
Hellen Mirren played another queen, great for her. Thank you for the explanation behind the sign.
• Preston, England
@moonandstars yes, I forgot she played the current monarch too
that is a good on Arthur I loved it.Love to have it.lol
@thelme55 (18265)
That is a beautiful sign. I have seen the movie. It was good.
I really like the looks of this sign!
@xander6464 (14265)
• Wapello, Iowa
I really like the sign and the true story behind it. That was poor planning to let a food store the size of a pub go empty.
• Preston, England
@xander6464 yes, possibly the number of VIP's and guests and officials that needed to be fed when they came to call on the royals drained the stores
@xander6464 (14265)
• Wapello, Iowa
@arthurchappell That is fascinating...I wonder what the solution was...If it was Winter, it must have been hard to replace food but not impossible, especially for the King.
• Preston, England
@xander6464 The idea of going to the Doctor's house was to get the King away from the busy court but the more people found out where he was the busier the house got too and more people needed feeding and getting supplies in would be slowed down, etc - Given royal food would be exotic tastes like pheasant, grouse, quail, etc just getting in the kind of stuff we menials eat would be anathema to them. Oh no, we are out of caviar and lobster thermadore again....
• Pamplona, Spain
I like that sign too. I remember the Old Mother Hubbard thing and I often repeat it for fun but mine don´t know what I really mean but I do.