31 Day Writing Tips - Day 22

Green Bay, Wisconsin
I'm glad these tips are helping you. Today, I'm going to deviate from writing to publishing, specifically self-publishing. I received a suggestion a few days ago to write on this topic. If you Google self-publishing, you will find many publishing options. Most, if not all are expensive. When I started self-publishing back in 2012, that's how I found the house I published with. It was an expensive package, at least for me as I didn't have a huge income at the time, and my son was angry at me for going that route. I have since found a free, easy to use publisher - CreateSpace, now KDP Direct as they merged this past year. CreateSpace and KDP Direct are an Amazon company. When self-publishing you need to be aware that no one will help you with revision, editing, or anything else unless you pay someone to do that. It's all on you. What I did when I found myself faced with editing my work, I bought several editing tools. I might have mentioned them before, but here are the books I bought to help me. English Grammar for Dummies by Geraldine Woods The Artful Edit by Susan Bell Revision & Self-Editing by James Scott Bell Someone also sent me Harbrace College Handbook 9th edition by John C Hodges and Mary E. Whitten These have been invaluable tools in learning how to edit. Last year I also downloaded Grammarly the free edition, and Prowritingaid, which I bought. These have been and continue to be helpful in my writing. CreateSpace, now KDP Direct, gives you guidelines to follow along with templates to help with formatting your manuscript. If you submit your work outside those guidelines, they won't accept it. During the publishing process, you choose a generic cover or if you have one, download the cover. It must be 300 DPI. I have since found a great site for converting your pictures to 300 DPI. It's easy, and most importantly, it's free. https://convert.town/image-dpi CreateSpace/KDP Direct will review your manuscript to make certain it's within their guidelines and send it back to you to review and edit. They do not give any suggestions. It's a good idea to edit your manuscript at this point, even though you have done so many times before you submitted it for publishing. You always miss something. BEFORE you hit submit when you are fully satisfied with the manuscript, be certain to get your copyright. This will be your only charge as it's your Library of Congress copyright. Do not be confused with the ISBN you received as soon as you submitted your manuscript at the start of the publishing process. It's generally $25. Unless it's gone up. I've missed this step on every manuscript I submitted. I thought I could get the copyright after I submitted it. You can't. It must be done before you submit. Once you submit your manuscript for publication in the final step, it goes live immediately and people will be able to buy your book. It will also tell you how long before it becomes available in foreign countries. It could take up to a week for that. After you submit for publication, you're not finished yet. You have the opportunity to get your manuscript into an eBook or Kindle. It's an easy process and it too will be live as soon as you okay everything. As for royalties, Amazon pays out monthly. Because CreateSpace/KDP Direct is an Amazon company, your royalties come from Amazon to your checking account. Your royalties are delayed for two months. For instance, if someone buys your book today, May 22, you will receive the royalty for the book in July. They pay out on the 29th of the month. You also don't need to earn a certain amount to be paid. My smallest royalty was .07. As for how much your book costs, you set the price. They give you guidelines on what to charge, based on the number of pages in your book. Once you determine the cost, they give you the royalty amount in the various currencies around the globe. You set this price for the paperback as well as eBook. Are you ready to submit your book for self-publishing? I hope I helped with the process. Thanks for reading. Image courtesy of Pixabay.
@Janet357 (16364)
thank you for this complete and detailed guidelines. how much does a writer earn on average once you publish your books online.
I really don't know. I'm still working on getting known. I don't make much yet.
@cacay1 (39005)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
@just4him soon you'll be known and your book will be the talk of town.
@Janet357 (16364)
@just4him sooner or later you will. so all your books are on amazon?
@Gillygirl (30040)
• Sutton, England
Thanks for the tips Valerie. I have the free version of grammarly now and will look at some of your other options. I didn't know the author set the price of an E book. When I got my article published back in 1993 I was offered £250. I accepted it along width giving them world rights. I was silly to do that. My writing has become very sloppy but I am trying to do better.
It depends on the publishing house. I couldn't set the price the first time I published Scarred. When I put out the second edition, I was with CreateSpace and there you could set the pricing. Wow! World rights? I don't think I've heard of that one. That would be too scary to contemplate. I don't like giving up my rights. I haven't talked to my publisher about rights yet, that I can remember anyway. I'll need to ask her.
@cacay1 (39005)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
@Gillygirl , soon you'll become a very good writer, just go on what your heart desires.
@cacay1 (39005)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
@just4him , agree, it depends on a publishing company. Better have them published and sell and yours is to receive the percentage fee and royalty fee.
@FayeHazel (28469)
Wow. Thank you for sharing. I commend you for learning about editing and so forth. I'm no good at editing - just don't have the patience. Thanks you for sharing your wealth of knowledge
You're welcome. I've come a long way from those C's I got in English in grade school.
@FayeHazel (28469)
@just4him Wow good for yoU!
@FayeHazel Thank you.
I have found all of yiour tips really helpful. Thanks for doing this.
You're welcome. I'm glad they've been helpful.
Can you publish with a publishing house AND with amazon?
No. KDP Direct is an Amazon company that publishes books, so it's a publishing house. However, all publishing houses will have your work on Amazon. When I published Scarred the first time they had it on the Barnes and Noble site as well as Amazon. With the subsequent editions, it's only on Amazon.
Though I've no intention of publishing I found this interesting. It would certainly help someone who did want to publish.
Thank you. I've learned a lot about publishing with the four books I've published. I'm glad you found it interesting.
@Shellyann36 (11522)
This is very useful information. You have packed quite a bit in this. Thank you for sharing. I wish I had the nerve to write a book. When I was in elementary school it was my life goal to become a renowned fiction author.
I wasn't thinking about being an author in elementary school but that is when I started writing.
@xander6464 (14057)
• Wapello, Iowa
Self-publishing fascinates me. You've filled in a lot of gaps that I wasn't aware of.
I'm glad I was able to help fill in those gaps.
@xander6464 (14057)
• Wapello, Iowa
@just4him You did a good job.
@xander6464 Thank you. I'll be writing the next one soon.
@cacay1 (39005)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
That's good of you so persistent, I had a plan to write a book before for I am a member of NBDB in Philippines, but so sad, after I went to the publishing company, the 22Karats Publishing, they charged me high, so I declined. I need million pesos to have my book be published and sold to the market school to school.
I hope you check into KDP Direct. It's free. You only pay for the copyright.