Growing Old

Green Bay, Wisconsin
As a kid, one of my favorite things was when we would visit Grandma and Grandpa here in Green Bay. I loved walking into Grandma's home, it always smelled great. She was always cooking something. Most often we would go on Sunday's because my parents had season tickets to the Green Bay Packers games. Grandma never looked old to me. She never walked with a cane. She never grumbled or complained about body aches or pains. Neither did Grandpa. I thought getting old was good and carefree. At least that was the picture my grandparents painted every time we visited. Grandma wasn't slow on her feet either. Neither was Grandpa. So, what happened to this picture of bliss when you got old and didn't need to work, and could garden and enjoy your grandchildren? My grandparents lived to their 80s and never complained once about anything. Well, Grandpa did but that was sports and politics. There was always an argument of some kind between Dad and Grandpa with Grandma restoring peace to the home. Why then do I live every day with knee and back pain? Why is walking more a chore than house chores? Why can't growing old be painless? When I wake up in the morning, I need to think about getting out of bed. How much pain will it cause to do so? When I stand to go into any room in my apartment, I need to think about walking instead of just doing it. I see slow people and congratulate myself that I move faster than they do. Let's face it, I might, but not by much. I envy people who walk at a normal pace, swim laps at speeds only athletes swim faster, who can keep up with their children but not their grandchildren. I envy people who don't talk about doctor appointments, medication, and short memories. The only place I'm young now is on the computer. My brain still functions well to write stories. I worry about the day I stop writing; when the mind isn't capable of cognition. The bones are old however the mind is young. I use a cane and take medication. Growing old is painful and definitely not for the faint at heart. It takes strength to be old, and I'm not talking personality but physical strength. Will the legs carry me today? Will my feet walk where they need to? Will I remember what I went into a room for? Then there is the character strength. It takes a lot of strength to put a smile on your face and tell yourself you're not going to let your body dictate your day. You will walk, swim, and spend time socially with someone today. You will talk without having to think about your words, and you will hold a good conversation. I will be the best me I can be, but only today. Tomorrow is not guaranteed. Do you feel the pain of growing old? Or are you still young and carefree? Thanks for reading. The picture is my grandparents, I believe it's their 50th wedding anniversary picture.
@Gillygirl (29885)
• Sutton, England
Beautiful photo Valerie. I am young in my head. Sadly COPD and when I fractured my pelvis in several places have slowed me down. I do my best to enjoy life.
@Sojourn (5180)
So Sorry to hear that.
@Gillygirl (29885)
• Sutton, England
@Sojourn I do pretty well and a sense of humour helps.
@Gillygirl (29885)
• Sutton, England
@Sojourn Lol I will ensure my memory lives on.
• Lenox, Georgia
I'm sorry for the pain you're in. =(
Thank you. Most of the time it's tolerable. I wish I didn't need to tolerate it.
@FayeHazel (28413)
What a lovely picture and memories of your grandparents. I'm sorry that growing older hasn't been a kind journey for you. I don't know why it's difficult for some and not as much for others. At 37 (not old, I know - but not young either) - I already feel the effect of arthritis. I'm alittle scared of that. Your mind can keep sharp a good long time - and in a way that is better than a body that is fine, but the mind is gone
That's true. I'd rather have a sharp mind. Thank you. I loved my grandparents a lot. It's only in the last dozen years that life started changing and I started slowing down and in the last three years that I got onto medication. I'm sorry you have arthritis already.
@FayeHazel (28413)
@just4him They sound like they were lovely people I do admire you for keeping at the gym, your weight loss program, etc. Thanks. I'm a little scared about the arthritis.... but I figure keep active etc...
@FayeHazel Activity won't slow down arthritis, unfortunately.
@Fleura (9671)
You start to question everything you do - did I just forget something, or is this the start of dementia?? But thankfully I am in good health and making sure I make the most of it every day! You wonder whether the old people you remember didn't complain because they were stoic, or because they didn't have aches and pains? I guess they must have had some problems, but modern life has brought new problems due to overweight, lack of physical activity, unsuitable diet etc that our grandparents didn't experience.
That's true. They didn't eat junk food common on store shelves and fast food restaurants. Everything they made was fresh, and all the vegetables were from the garden. I'm not questioning what I'm doing yet, so that's a good thing.
I can certainly relate to your aches and pains. My knees have been giving me trouble for years and it takes awhile for me to get started in the morning and walking is limited. I still try to go out and do things but I can't run around like a youngster anymore. But, I do have pretty good mental capacity so I don't complain about my knees. I'd rather be mindful these days and thank God for my mental health. As my friend always says...these are supposed to be our golden years but instead of gold it feels more like lead
Yes, it does feel like lead. It's hard getting old.
The mind and heart remain young but our bodies betray us. And there's the realization that a young mindset is not age appropriate in some instances. Then there is the dwelling on memories and the "good old days" where we conveniently forget the negatives of youth.
I totally agree. It's best not to dwell on the negatives.
Good morning.Lovely story of your grandparents there. Yes I do feel the pain in my 89 yrs..But still able to function and not giving up till I drop. No sitting around.As I mentioned before Keep Moving.lol
Yes, and that is what I'm trying to do. I'm glad I've gotten a social life in the last couple of years. It helps me get out of the apartment.
I wonder the same thing, my parents never lost the cartilage in their knees, none of my siblings have, why me I ask??? Now my left ankle hurts and so does my left shoulder, both arthritis. I feel my age every day and then some. I am going to the orthopedic doctor tomorrow to see if I can get some relief. I feel your pain, I really feel your pain. Getting old sucks!!
I hope you get relief for the ankle and shoulder. Thank you. It just doesn't seem fair, does it? Yes, it certainly does suck!
@Dena91 (5596)
Arthritis runs on my Dad's side of the family and I do have it pretty much in my hands and knees. I also work for many years on my feet on concrete and that didn't help my legs and back too much. My grand parents didn't complain a lot either but ever now and again they would say don't get old it sucks.
I'm sorry you have arthritis in your hands and knees. I worked on the concrete floor too. They knew what they were talking about. Be blessed.
@ShifaLk (12845)
I am thinking that why they were like that? Is smartphone and computer basically the Internet is the reason for our bad health??? I think yes because we stick to them often. And also the eating habits are not good like before (at least in my place that's true) How blessed life they lead wow... I wish I can have the same but I know I won't because we're Internet people and I don't even eat good.... I don't exercise I already got spectacles And I am 31... :( And are you fine??
I've had glasses since I was six. I know this is the Internet age, and I spend a lot of time on the computer, but I don't associate myself with the computer age. At 31 I was definitely not spending it online. I don't think there was an online when I was 31. Maybe there was. I know I didn't have a computer, and if I did, doubtful, I didn't spend much time on it. I was in my late 30s early 40s before I connected to the Internet. I was also more outgoing, so there wasn't the need to exercise, and I wasn't overweight like I am now, definitely a product of being on the computer more. I think it would be good for you to break away from the computer before your eyes become worse than they are. Working on your phone isn't good for your eyes. You have a chance to change everything for your life by changing your lifestyle now. I hope you do.
@ShifaLk (12845)
@just4him oh yes that's right, I truly need to take care. I think I'll switch to keypad phone for sometime, only once in a day I'll use this smartphone. And that's so good to know that how fit you were. But you got glasses at 6? O my! Do you still wear them? What are your grades if you still wear spectacles?
@ShifaLk Yes, I still wear them. You can see them on my picture. I have two pairs of glasses. One for regular wear and one for the computer. I'm supposed to have four pairs, but right now this is all I could afford. I also need a pair of sunglasses and a pair of reading glasses. Phones are so small, I don't know how you can see the screen and keep from making mistakes in typing.
@Janet357 (16232)
How old are you ms val if you dont mind? I just turned 39 but i easily get tired when i walk under the sun. In your case i understand that, because i have friends who might be your age and they feel the same thing.
My bio shows I'm 65. I'll soon be 66.
@Janet357 (16232)
@just4him ok. Morning can help i bet.
@Janet357 Morning is usually good. I'm still energetic from being in the pool.
@Nakitakona (4002)
I overheard people saying to avoid getting old is to smile and keep on.moving..
It's easier said than done. You can't avoid growing old. The best thing to do is to keep smiling.
@just4him Yap. I remember that a smile makes wonder to the whole body of a man as compared to frown. It makes us "younger".
@Nakitakona Yes, it does.
@Porcospino (25172)
• Denmark
When my grandmother was 90 she still lived alone. She cleaned her house, did her laundry and cooked big meals for visitors without any help. I know that she had her share of health problems, but she never mentioned them at all, and she always had a very positive attitude. I wish that I will like her when I reach that age.
I hope you are too.
@Porcospino (25172)
• Denmark
@just4him She was an inspiration to me and she had a very positive attitude.
@Porcospino That's wonderful.
@cacay1 (38764)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
Your brain won't stop working for you for it is always in the active zone my friend. Getting old is not a problem as long as we always take good care of ourselves by not eating those foods that are against the health issues.Sometimes, it is what I am thinking about when grow old and when health declines.This time while I still have the strength of not the so old age, I have to eat only healthy foods, if cannot be avoided to eat those that body does not need, I have to drain myself , to purge self to retain the shape.
Your picture shows you're doing a good job of retaining your shape. Yes, I must take care of the body and continue to lose weight. You're right, my brain will never stop working.
@cacay1 (38764)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
@just4him , so true being always active and busy writing makes the mind active too.If it's idle that's the time that the body likes to decline.
@cacay1 True, so I'm keeping my mind as active as I can.
@JustBhem (51177)
• Davao, Philippines
I remember when I was young, I can’t wait to get old to work. But when I get old, don’t want to ger old. Lol
That's about it. Nobody realizes what comes with aging.
@JustBhem (51177)
• Davao, Philippines
@just4him But I want to get old, but I don’t know if I can make it. Lol
@JustBhem I hope you do.
@dgobucks226 (17466)
A very true perspective on aging. I feel young at heart but at times my body keeps telling me otherwise. I think you grandparents positive attitude played a big role in their heath.
It probably did. Yes, the body has a way of wrangling you in and letting you know you're no longer young.
@dgobucks226 (17466)
@just4him I know exactly what you mean
@xander6464 (13963)
• Wapello, Iowa
It is sad that growing old can't be painless. Even though we have pills for everything, including pain. I am starting to think that state of mind is important. It seems that while it really doesn't get rid of pain, it might make the pain less controlling over what you can and can't do.
It would be wonderful if growing old was painless and we didn't need all those pills to douse the pain. There are ways to take the mind off the pain and focus on other things. It's a matter of mind over matter.
@xander6464 (13963)
• Wapello, Iowa
@just4him That does seem to work sometimes, but sometimes there is a real need for pain pills.
@xander6464 Yes, there is.
I think I'm somewhere in the middle. Im sorry about all your pains and all the questions you have to ask yourself everyday.
It's become second nature. Thank you. It's good you're in the middle.