The island of Reunion must be pleased (or Angry)

@garymarsh6 (17894)
United Kingdom
My wife has left Mauritius to go to the neighbouring island of Reunion which is a French dependency island in the Indian Ocean about 45 minutes away from Mauritius by air. This morning I hear that there has been a volcanic eruption the volcano there has got a couple of fissures in the side of the mountain and molten lava is currently flowing. There has been some earthquake activity over the last few days which was getting stronger and the eruptions more aggressive but since the fissures opened allowing the magma to be released it seems to have calmed down again. The magma is still flowing. My daughter was quite alarmed this morning. I told her not to worry because the Volcano is at the other end of the island about 30 miles away and there are no concerns at the moment. Have you ever seen a volcano. I have seen a few. Mount Etna in Sicily which continues to smoulder, erupt occasionally. I have also seen Mount Vesuvius at Pompeii and several extinct volcanoes. I had a few errands to do this morning which I did then picked my daughter up and went to lunch in a Thai restaurant. Devil child accompanied us. I held her for a few moments while my daughter was sorting out the pushchair for her. I pulled a funny face at her and she smiled which is a blessing as opposed to bawling her head off!
Mike and I saw Mt.Etna in Sicily a couple of times while visiting there.We also climb half way. This I do not know anything about it.Thank you for sharing
@Gillygirl (31051)
• Sutton, England
Oh, Gary, that must have been a worry at first. The Devil child is making progress if she smiled at you. Been to Mount Teide and Etna. There was a volcano in Santorini but the name escapes me.
@garymarsh6 (17894)
Yes so it seems although I wonder whether it was because I pulled a funny face at her,. Crossed eyed! I think she found that intriguing!
@Gillygirl (31051)
• Sutton, England
@garymarsh6 Oh bless her little cotton socks
I have also seen Mount Etna in Sicily and climbed on top of Mount Vesuvius, not really exciting. I am sure your wife is not in danger.
@garymarsh6 (17894)
They are quite safe they are at the other end of the island. I was not too happy being up Etna gas was coming out of the ground all around me. I was glad to get down to a more sensible level.
@garymarsh6 The heat on the top of Vesuvius was unbearable, the smell of sulfur unpleasant. I did not even feel safe up there.
@garymarsh6 (17894)
@LadyDuck I have decided not to do such daft things in future Anna!
I am glad I have never seen a volcano.
@garymarsh6 (17894)
They are interesting but I would not want to be too close. I was not a happy chappy when I was up mount Etna and puffs of gasses were coming out of the ground!
@CarolDM (29436)
Never seen a volcano. Devil child, shame on you!
@garymarsh6 (17894)
It is quite an eerie experience. Haha she is slowly changing I have to say!
I've never seen a volcano.
@garymarsh6 (17894)
That must be good Marie! At least you are safe!
@garymarsh6 we do have an old dormant volcano a little over a hour from us. It is now beneath the earth and can't be seen. Jackson the capital of Mississippi is built on it.
@garymarsh6 (17894)
@Tampa_girl7 That is interesting. There are some in Yellowstone that I know of and other places too in the USA. Also Hawaii that is all I know of!
@FayeHazel (28779)
I'm happy your wife is in a safe part of that island. I'd never heard of it before. Wow! You saw Pompeii? Lucky. I've never seen a volcano. That is probably alright lol
@garymarsh6 (17894)
You also have some in the USA. I remember St.Helena in Washington state blew a few years ago. Also Hawaii has plenty that are always active. Pompeii and Herculaneum were totally destroyed by an eruption. Hot ash landed on them forming a cast but the heat was so strong that the body vaporised,
@FayeHazel (28779)
@garymarsh6 I remember the Mt. St.Helens eruption when I was a kid. It was all over the news
@garymarsh6 (17894)
@FayeHazel Yes it was a terrible time for those who lived near it. The pyroclastic flow was what damaged most things and killed people. It was similar to but on a lesser scale than in Pompeii.
I’ve seen many volcanoes in Italy and Hawaii. One that my son and his wife saw smoking on their honeymoon in Indonesia erupted a week later and killed over 1000 people. Glad your wife wasn’t in any danger.
@garymarsh6 (17894)
Yes she is at the other end of the Island. I spoke with her this afternoon. They are all exhausted after the wedding. Only two more to go! She said they had been full on for the past three days and were resting today! !
@garymarsh6 Well deserved rest I'm sure after such fun and excitement!
@rsa101 (19324)
My place has a lot of it all over the island. I think were used to it erupting from time to time already. We have had strong eruptions in the past that really shook us up but we survived it.
@garymarsh6 (17894)
Good and I hope you will always be safe!
@rsa101 (19324)
@garymarsh6 We are. But of course when there is a violent eruptions then and only we are not safe. So far we have had only one major violent eruption over the years. Most eruptions were not violent and damaged is only confined to its vicinity.
@Nevena83 (27571)
• Serbia
I hope your wife will be safe. I've never seen a volcano. You always smile at me when you say the devil's child.
@garymarsh6 (17894)
Yes I am sure they are far enough away from it. I believe it has started to settle again now some of the magma has been released. Yes devil child was not too bad yesterday I wonder what she will be like on Sunday!
@Nevena83 (27571)
• Serbia
@garymarsh6 You're so sincere in that statement, and that's why you like me. Everyone will always say that children are angels, but the truth is sometimes different.
@Fleura (9693)
When I was growing up there were many and varied careers I thought I would like to follow: vet., archaeologist, neurosurgeon, and long-distance lorry driver among others - and vulcanologist!
@garymarsh6 (17894)
Funnily enough my niece wanted to do that too but nature over took the course of her studies and now she has a lovely little boy!
@Fleura (9693)
@garymarsh6 Well it's never too late! It would certainly make for interesting conversation with the other mums!
@KrauseHome (36603)
Never seen one that is active, but we have them here in WA State. I was not living here when Mt St Helens blew and everything was covered in ashes back in the 80s.
@garymarsh6 (17894)
Yes i remember it well.
@PainsOnSlate (21979)
Thanks for the laugh (about the baby). I have never seen one face to face, I have watched in the past when the volcanic eruption was in the USA - Mount St. Helens 1980
@garymarsh6 (17894)
Yes that was very bad wasn't it. She gets worse she now kisses my but cries to her mum and dad to get her off me! It is so so funny!
I've never seen an active volcano except on tv. Wow you made the Devil child smile....sounds like progress
@garymarsh6 (17894)
I know quite shocked. I am in for another session on Sunday as it is fathers day! I wonder how that will go?
@Sreekala (32016)
I have never seen any. Hope there won't be any problem with the same for the people.
@garymarsh6 (17894)
I am sure that they would be fine as it is at the other end of the island. Better to be safe than sorry though!
I have only seen volcanoes in the movies. Must be a scary thing. Hope your wife will be alright. Glad the Devil Child held her tongue.
@garymarsh6 (17894)
They say there is a super volcano in Yellow stone and if that ever erupted it could cause the end of the world! I say just enjoy each day as if it is your last!
@evans777 (725)
Nope. Never seen one
I think she is getting used to your face, lol My grandson didn't like his granny for a long time either, it was very deflating since the other 9 all liked me a lot!! lol I have never seen a volcano, How long will your wife be on the island?