I'm saving bees from the pool. Why are our bees dying?

Walnut Creek, California
Why are so many bees dying in our pool? When I find them struggling on the surface, I find a leaf, remove them from the pool, and place them on the side, where it's dry. Today, I batted 1 for 4, or .250. One of the bees I save survived, and eventually flew away, hopefully to pollinate our plants and raise a few families. When I initially saved her, she started back toward to pool. So I splashed some water where she could drink it and she stopped and drank the water. Within ten minutes she was safely dry (but hydrated) and had flown off. Is global warming (whether man-made or a part of the Earth's usual cycles) responsible for the decrease in the bee population? I have no clue. Are bees becoming dehydrated and climbing into pools (and rivers and lakes) to get water, where the ultimately drown? I have no clue. But I'm going to keep saving bees. I am a part of the world's eco-system.
didn't'cha say 'twas 105 this week 'lready?? those lil bees need a safe place to drink. shallow bowl with pebbles 'n water, somethin' with a twig they can climb out with - somethin'. much'f the bees decline 'd be most likely linked to pesticides. folks dislike all lil critters out'n their lawns... 'n behalf 'f those bees ~ thanks much fer yer 'fforts!
• Walnut Creek, California
I will keep trying. They don't sting me unless I step on them, and and they are an important part of our ecosystem.
@TheHorse most 're docile 's long 's not threatened. i've all sorts 'f floaty thingies fer 'em to get out 'f various predicaments here. we gotta protect 'em any ways we can :)
@TheHorse ya could put one'n yer porch :) there's lil anti-skeeter pellets ya can get to 'void those deliveries 'n such'll not harm the bees 'r birds who might visit. i use anti-skeeter pellets durin' 'season' (wow, we're'n a roll!) out'n the pond, the bird bath 'n the stock tanks. when 't rains, i put 'em'n the large puddles, too.
@Janet357 (17131)
they are thirsty. you should have given them a glass of water
• Walnut Creek, California
I basically did to the one that survived and flew away.
@Janet357 (17131)
@TheHorse the water you gave wasnt safe.lol
• Walnut Creek, California
@Janet357 She really did go to and drink. About ten minutes later, she flew off. I was happy.
@josie_ (8949)
I'm thinking it's the chlorine level in your pool that is causing the bees to die.
• Walnut Creek, California
So on a river or lake, they would just grab a drink and fly away?
• Walnut Creek, California
@josie_ I'm sure it's not the best thing for them. But I've saved several, and seen them get their wits about them and fly away.
@rsa101 (19324)
I have read some articles about the relationship of bees to the global warming and most of them are saying there is a connection that there is an effect on how the bees react differently to our changing climate pattern that confuses them of the season they are in so they are not able to cope with the changes.
• Walnut Creek, California
I've read something like that too. I'm not sure what bees use for navigation. Perhaps I'll read up on it.
@rsa101 (19324)
@TheHorse Most of it are quite old articles I read mostly 2018 articles.
it's probably all the damn roundup in everything messing them up. could be dehydrating.
• Walnut Creek, California
Yeah, I bet pesticides are partially to blame.
@garymarsh6 (17894)
I would save a bee but not a wasp!
• Walnut Creek, California
I'm not a fan of wasps, though they must play a role in things somehow. I got stung (lightly) by a yellow jacket at the stable when I refused to share my taco with him.
@moonandstars (17068)
• Zagreb, Croatia (Hrvatska)
Good and distubing question. I'm throwing out bees from my flat. They get in through the window.
• Walnut Creek, California
At least you're keeping them alive. If it's daytime, I'll sometimes turn off all the lights and open my windows, so they can follow the light and get out.
• Zagreb, Croatia (Hrvatska)
@TheHorse Yes, I respect them. Wasps, on th other hand, not so much. They are mean.
Poor little things, they come to drink and all the chemicals you put in your pools kill them. They come every day to drink from our pond and none of them die.
• Walnut Creek, California
I think they get in and can't get out. The ones I've saved that were still struggling dry up and fly away.
Good idea. People have bird bathes and seed feeders why not bee pool by the bee flower garden. Not sure if the chlorine in the pool water would be stronger than normal at their level?
• Walnut Creek, California
It has to be higher than in the water they usually drink. But it doesn't seem to bother them. I wonder if bees who live near a pool (and didn't fall in) would generate chlorine-flavored honey.
@wolfgirl569 (16318)
• Marion, Ohio
Glad that one made it. They are in no danger of dehydration around here.
• Walnut Creek, California
Yeppers. And I'm sure they can find pools (natural pools) to drink from that they can also escape from.
@1creekgirl (16350)
Good for you! I heard recently about someone who killed a lot of bees and I thought, "Why in the world would you do such a thing?!!! We need bees to live!"
@Fleura (9693)
I think there isn't much doubt that the mass use of pesticides is one of the major causes. How could we even have thought that they would affect the insects we didn't like and not the others? And who knows what effects these chemicals have - they could cause disorientation or thirst, who knows?
@rakski (32238)
Good job for you there for saving the bees!
It's good you're doing your part to save our bees.
I save them too! Bumble bees eat happily while I pick berries on th honeysuckle.
@Torunn (4750)
• Norway
I've read lot of reasons, can't remember any right now, but I save an enourmous bumblebee yesterday and maybe a very small one. The huge one was stuck in the stable, so I managed to get it in a box and take it outside. The small one was in water bucket. It was alive when I took it out, but I didn't see it fly off. Hopeful though, it was nice and warm.
@didinedhia (7584)
• Algeria
Good work there.i like your thinking
@CarolDM (29436)
I do my best to save as many as possible and even considered getting my own hive. But I know nothing about bee keeping.
You are a hero to bees and the eco-system. I was always saving frogs from the pool we had in our last house.
@BarBaraPrz (23219)
• St. Catharines, Ontario
Perhaps the sky reflects so perfectly in your pool that the bees can't tell the difference between water and air. But good on ya for saving bees (or trying to).