Tornadoes in Ohio

@sissy15 (6552)
One of the things most Ohioans have to get used to especially during the spring and summer are tornadoes. We usually have several warnings throughout both of those seasons. It's just part of living here. We have had some real destruction over the years but for the most part, we have all learned to deal with it. Some of us take shelter while others don't care and will stand outside watching it saying things like "If it's my time to go it's my time to go". Usually, the people who do this are older but there are some younger ones too. I personally, prefer to take shelter and lessen the chance of an early demise. I wish we had a basement but sadly we don't. It's particularly difficult for those who live in mobile homes or trailers as they are often called. They don't withstand storms very well. My mom remembers a tornado taking out an entire trailer park back when my older siblings were much younger. They're scary but as I've gotten older I've learned to deal with them more. As a kid I used to be terrified now while I am afraid of them I don't freak out the way I once did. My son is a different story and he freaks out and I spend most of the warning soothing him. The storms that come with the warnings often scare him as much as the warning itself. He is afraid of thunder and lightning while I myself love storms so long as they're not bad. My son usually ends up in our bed when there's a bad storm. I have recently been considering a mobile home but I'm afraid of living in one due to storms. Tornadoes are incredibly scary and do a lot of damage but when you live somewhere where you get a lot of them you do learn to deal with them. We know where to go in case we get hit. Most tornadoes do a lot of destruction but don't usually leave a large death toll but there are always exceptions. A town that I used to go to when I was still in school to volunteer in a classroom at their elementary school was hit really bad in 2010. It took out most of the town and killed seven people. It could have been a lot worse but it was still incredibly sad. It took out their high school which was connected to the middle school and elementary school. It also took out their sheriff's station and their bus garage. It wasn't a big town. The people who were killed were mostly those who didn't have adequate shelter. People who had to run inside last minute or lived in trailers there may have been one or two that were inside their mostly stable houses but I can't remember. I know people who knew one or two of the people who were killed. It's sad. It was the first time this part of Ohio had been hit that hard by a tornado at least in a very long time. This tornado was about fifteen minutes from me so it was fairly close but also far enough that we weren't under the warning. Ohio has been hit hard several times over the years but usually not in the part of Ohio I live in. I know several countries get tornadoes but for some reason, the US seems to get them worse than most countries.
@rsa101 (19010)
The closest thing I can relate to you there is our own Typhoon. We have lots it on the latter half of the year. Some are strong and some just pass by and drenched us with heavy rains. If we are directly hit then destruction to property is imminent. When I was young I was frightened by it since our house is old and made of wood, so when strong winds hit our house it would creak and sway with the winds. Luckily we survived many typhoons on that old house of ours.
@sissy15 (6552)
We don't get Typhoons here partially because we aren't near the ocean or sea. I do live in the great lakes region but have never heard of a typhoon on any of them nor do I think they can happen on a lake but I don't really know a ton about them. I mean I get the gist of what they are but don't know the finer details. I'm glad your house was able to protect you. It seems like various countries are more likely to get certain types of weather than others especially when it comes to various types of storms. We get tornadoes but don't get hurricanes because we aren't close to an ocean we also get winter storms and we get the occasional mild earthquake but those don't typically do any real damage but we aren't built for them here so they are more prone to destroying our buildings and things than they are in places that get them more frequently like California.
@rsa101 (19010)
@sissy15 Yours is like pure wind power ours is combination of both wind and rain and if your near the shores might have some tidal waves to contend to. Our old house is no more already it was destroyed by fire when my drunk Grandfather burned it down because of his drunkenness.
@sissy15 (6552)
@rsa101 I know the damage they can do they've wiped out Islands before. Each natural disaster comes with its own set of issues. We don't get hurricanes here and as a whole tornadoes are usually worse than hurricanes but hurricanes cause flooding which tornadoes don't. They both cause their fair share of damage. I actually thought hurricanes were worse than tornadoes but my husband disagreed with me. To me, they both seem to do a lot of destruction they just do it differently.
i don't recall my grandma in columbus ever mentioning them..but she did say winter storms were hell..
@raveeen (1425)
Take care!!