Windows 7/Windows 10

@LindaOHio (6798)
Did you know that effective in 2020 Microsoft will no longer offer support or security updates for Windows 7? By that date you will have to purchase the Windows 10 update which averages around $100 per computer. Also, I have heard the disturbing news that Windows 10 will not run properly on an older computer. The laptop I use is from 2012! My desktop is just as old. I may have to replace two computers. From what I understand people are not liking Windows 10 either. If you don't update, your computer will be vulnerable to security attacks. Do you have Windows 10? Are you going to have to update to Windows 10? Do you have an older computer? What is your opinion of Windows 10? Photo is from Pixabay.
@CarolDM (32758)
Yes I did hear about that on the news. I switched over to Safari a few years ago and will never go back to Windows.
@LindaOHio (6798)
I didn't realize you could do that. Tell me more, please!
@CarolDM (32758)
@LindaOHio I bought an Apple laptop (Mac Book) and the browser for it is Safari. No more Windows.
@LindaOHio (6798)
@CarolDM Oh, OK. You have a Mac. I've heard that everyone prefers Mac. I have a ton of Windows software though that won't run on Mac. sigh Thanks for the info.
@betlynfrnds (2192)
This is why my husband and I switched to Apple. We have asked many of our client who have Apple computers how they like them. Virtually everyone loves their Apple devices. Now my husband and I love our Apples also. We have never had any issues at all. Since it's more of a closed system ( I think that's what it's referred to ), there is none of the 'we're no longer going to support this version' type of thing. Apple devices are more expensive but we are able to get them through our business.
@LindaOHio (6798)
That's what I've heard from all Apple users. Never have I heard a negative comment about Apple...but I have a ton of Windows games which I would no longer be able to use. Who knows? It might be worth it. Thanks for the info!
@LindaOHio My pleasure. We don't do any of the gaming so that part doesn't affect us at all but I know that many people like to game. I really don't know what to do about games on Apple or if you can even do them.
@LindaOHio (6798)
@betlynfrnds You can; but you have to buy the Mac version of the game. I have hundreds of games; so I would have to decide if I've played enough games and am willing to give them up and get a Mac!! Thanks.
@egdcltd (8095)
Yes, looks like I'll have to update to Windows 10 next year. Should be able to pick up a second hand copy a lot cheaper. I have Windows 10 on my laptop - on the plus side it's not Windows 8. I'm able to use it okay, unlike Windows 8 which was a monumental pain. Technically, my computer is probably over a decade old. However, I've replaced a few parts: both monitors, keyboard (twice), mouse (twice), the graphics card (twice), memory (twice), power supply unit, CPU, motherboard, CD/DVD ROM drive and added an SSD. Oh, and upgraded the OS from Vista to Windows 7.
@LindaOHio (6798)
So you basically have a new computer! Are your operating systems older? Someone told me about Safari; and they'll never go back to Windows. I didn't even know that was an option. Never heard of it!
@egdcltd (8095)
@LindaOHio Yes, the only original parts are the case and power cable! No, Windows 7 was a later upgrade than when I bought the computer. Safari is actually a web browser from Apple, not an OS. Last time I checked it was possible to buy the Apple OS and install it on a Windows computer (which was much, much, much cheaper than overpaying for an Apple computer). I'm not sure I'd ever do that for my main PC though; a lot of my software wouldn't work then.
@LindaOHio (6798)
@egdcltd Yeah, I think she was confused about the Apple O/S. I wouldn't want to install an Apple O/S on my computer. There's too much software I wouldn't be able to run. I thought for a minute about getting an Apple computer (every person I've talked to that has one has been very pleased); but I decided to go with getting the $139 Windows 10 for my laptop.
@May2k8 (9319)
Some of my desktop computers still use Windows XP, only 1 has used Windows 10, but for graphic, I think there are still many bugs that need to be fixed.
@LindaOHio (6798)
I liked Windows XP. I was sorry when I had to go to 7.
@May2k8 (9319)
@LindaOHio I ever tried Windows 7 and its compatibility is more complete than Windows XP, and the old application can still run there.
• Rupert, Idaho
Oh wow, that would be quite frustrating for those that have an older version of Windows! My two laptops have Windows 10, and my Chromebook doesn't use Windows at all.
@wolfgirl569 (18102)
• Marion, Ohio
I have windows 10. It works ok for what I do.
@Scrapper88 (2179)
I will be needing to get a new computer pretty soon anyway. My computer is pretty old.
i'm with ya, old laptop runnin' windows 7. i tried windows 10 fer a few weeks (when such updated all by 'tself to my horror) 'n despised 't. switched back 'fer the 30 days were'p to do so. the hubs 'nsisted he needed a puter 'n he's came with windows 10. mind'ja, he 'tis puter illiterate, meanin' i'd to set the thingy'p 'n deal with 't when he's troubles. none too happy with windows 'n refuse to buy their windows 10. i may jest be puter free when they make that brazen move. that're try linux 's the eldest son says most 'f the kinks from 'ts early days 've been remedied.
@LindaOHio (6798)
I'm afraid I'm going to be stuck with 10.
@LindaOHio me, too, hon. dunno if'n i can handle such? then 'gain, we both might need to bite the bullet. i do hear tell that they've worked out many 'f the kinks from when such 'twas 1st released? sure aint gonna pay 'em $100 bucks to 'pgrade, though....
I use windows 10. its quite good.
@LindaOHio (6798)
Thank you for your comment.
Newer models now available already come equipped with that version so it would not be an extra expense; however Microsoft could extend its protection coverage if the owner thought it would save many thousands of people from ID theft
@amandajay (22771)
• New Zealand
Mine is already Windows 10, I dint know about these changes. It's bad if they don't update. I'll go for another operating system then
I switched to Linux years ago, it's free and I am no more annoyed by Microsoft.
@Sojourn (5906)
Maybe I'll switch to Linux then. Its a free OS and secure too. Till then I'm with my Windows 7 machine.
@cacay1 (42607)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
Mine is already converted to Windows 10 6 years ago. It did its own auto convert. However, my beloved lap top is already old. I bought this in NZ , it's my NZ partner who bought this 8 years ago and that is its age. I hope I can buy a new lap top.Thanks for the info.
I try to keep up to date on my computers. When Dell went to Windows 10 I didn't like it. Took me a while to get used to it and now I love it. But then, I hate change.