California Rolling Stop

There is a running joke about California with their drivers rolling the stop signs. "Rolling stops" are when drivers do not come to a complete stop at a stop sign or red traffic light. It is a traffic violation, yet I see it happening ALL the time. If I could have a nickel for every driver I see doing it, well . . . . This morning, we drove on a street where I know there are several stop signs - a thoroughfare of a residential area. A police vehicle was driving right in front of my car. He was going the same speed as I was and didn't seem to be in a hurry. BUT he did a rolling stop at every single stop sign . . . really, a cop doing rolling stops??? I know I shouldn't be making assumptions of why he was doing it. There were no flashing lights or sirens - nor was he driving aggressively. I was just dumbfounded as to why it was ok for him to do these rolling stops . Or maybe I missed the memo that since now everyone is doing it, it's a new norm . How strict are they about rolling stops in your area? I thought it was a complete no-no, but obviously so many do it (sigh).
@RubyHawk (34005)
• Atlanta, Georgia
Evidently they are strict. I hardly ever see anyone do a rolling stop.
That is amazing - but that's the way it should be. I see way too many drivers breaking laws here - not only with rolling stops - and the road situations here only seem to be getting worse.
@RubyHawk (34005)
• Atlanta, Georgia
@much2say A lot of drivers are careless, You have to watch out for them. Today a car parked so close to us I was afraid they would scrape our car.
@RubyHawk Oh geez. Yep - careless drivers are everywhere .
the hubs's prone to doin' those 'n such infuriates me to no end, lol. perhaps that "e'erybody else 's doin' 't ' mentality 'tis made such 'lright? dunno, but who's gonna pull a cop o'er fer such? then 'gain, perhaps one 'f those dash cams'd come'n handy...
I am told that out here the police are exempt from such laws . . . is that true everywhere? Just doesn't sound right - except in an emergency or a response to a call kind of thing in which of course I'd understand.. And it doesn't sound safe either, considering other people aren't safe either, you'd think they'd want to keep it safe on their end (and aren't they supposed to protect us - even on the roads ). I am shaking my head a lot over a lot of things about our world these days.
@much2say what??? ne'er heard 'f the police bein' 'xempt from any laws. 'nly time such'd be 'llowed 'd be respondin' to a call where lights 'n siren 'd alert the perps'n such 's tryin' to be 'voided. 'sides, if'n they do that'n their patrol cars, such's a habit'n no doubt they do such drivin' their own vehicles when off duty. yup, a safety hazard!
@crazyhorseladycx I'm trying to find info about that online, but it seems there is a gray area as so many have seen cops break so many traffic laws. Some are justified of course, but many are not. Hmmm. But we've heard of power trips - off duty that's a definite no-no .
Police are exempt from laws that. I heard a law enforcement officer asked on radio about patrol cars speeding, running stop signs etc. and that was the answer. They are exempt.
@Gillygirl (32705)
• Sutton, England
Crikes, they re not here. There have been incidents where and officer has been sent to jail
@JohnRoberts I can understand if they need to do it for the sake of duty . . . but otherwise shouldn't they be setting an example? Considering what goes wrong on the road even for police these days (the crashes, etc), you'd think they'd want to play it safe too.
@Gillygirl Yah, I would think it would be wrong even for a cop . . . unless it was an emergency or a case where it is logical that they would have to be exempt. I almost get the feeling that some have the attitude that if they are doing it, then we could do it (sigh).
@CarolDM (32345)
Depends on where you are and who the law enforcement officer is at the time.
Considering the street were were on, and that it didn't seem like the cop was in a hurry at all, it just seemed strange to me that they would do that.
They are very strict here in Connecticut. Being a law abiding citizen or Miss Goody Two Shoes, I always come to a complete stop. If I ever got a ticket, I would break down and cry.
They should be strict . . . here they seem to get away with way too much. I wish there were more Goody Two Shoes out here - or at least they need to get stricter somehow. I'd probably get super nervous about getting a ticket too - I've only gotten parking ones.
@much2say I really believe the law should be enforced. Otherwise, it's just another accident waiting to happen.
@DianneN There are way too many accidents happening here - that literally takes up a lot of the local news stories on tv. It even happens to police cars.
@cperry2 (1364)
Living in a tourist town, the police here are pretty laid back. One of our judges jumped all over the DA about one incident and it seems to have calmed the entire force down. The judge looked at the DA and said something to the effect of, "These tourists come here for a good time. they are the lifeblood or our city. I will not have the police being anal about giving tickets. Lighten up. DUI and failing to give right of way to pedestrians is an exception." I would love to have heard the actual speech.
Wow, that is a laid back attitude! I can understand a good time, but it needs to also be a safe environment. Here, perhaps the city is too big and there aren't enough cops around (especially with the never ending budget cuts). Not enough cops and too many people exercising too much of their freedom.
@cperry2 (1364)
@much2say been there. Lived in Los Angeles for a couple of years then just outside Sacramento. Too many people, too much traffic and too much crime.
@cperry2 Yep - that's our Los Angeles - yet this is pretty much all I know.
They are strict here about rolling stops and turning on a red light has always been a violation. When we cross the border, in Italy no one, I say ABSOLUTELY NO ONE respects. It's almost dangerous to make a full stop, the one behind you will not stop in time.
The strictness here must've gone down the toilet at some point. I know I learned about such a violation long time ago - but it appears the world has conveniently forgotten - or something! Oh geez, I know exactly what you mean about a full stop actually being dangerous . . . I am always sweating it and looking at my rear view mirror to see if the driver behind is slowing down - I slow down sooner and hope they see me doing so.
@much2say I notice that my husband always does the same, especially if he notice an Italian plate behind us.
@LadyDuck I read an online article about tips for driving in Italy - just to see if I could get a sense of what you were saying. Oh my gosh - I think I'd be too scared to drive there!
There is a saying,the law can't be enforced when everyone is an offender.However the police should set an example with their own conduct.I love the expression:If I could have a nickel for ...
I don't like to say this, but sometimes I have to wonder why the police are there . . . out here they do not seem reliable - is it any wonder why our police do not have such a good reputation. I do realize there are those to take great pride in their duty - but others I have to question. If the expression were true, I could get rich .
@much2say The police should practise what they preach ! Hope this policeman was just a rotten apple,but the police was debased by what he did .
@changjiangzhibin89 Most cops that I have met seemed respectable, but we've heard the many stories of the ones who take advantage of their power (these days, there is video proof of that). I would hope there are more good eggs than bad ones.
@infatuatedbby (100944)
Hey, cops here don't follow the rules too!
I can understand during emergencies or when they are having to respond to a call and have to get somewhere in a hurry . . . but not "just because they can" - that's abuse of authority. And it's not setting a good example ,
@much2say I agree. If they're in a rush then I understand but just cruising... it doesn't hurt to make a complete stop like the rest of us! I wonder when they're off duty, do they make complete stops too in their personal vehicles?
@infatuatedbby You'd think they'd want to keep it safe for everyone . Seriously, I hope they are not exempt from tickets just because they are off duty - laws are laws!!!
@JustBhem (55742)
• Davao, Philippines
I have no idea as I’m not driving any vehicle, I only do the back ride with the boyfriend’s motor.
Believe me, I wouldn't drive if I didn't have to, but where I live it's pretty much a must.
@JustBhem (55742)
• Davao, Philippines
@much2say I know, and here driving is a privilege.
@JustBhem I really should learn how to take public transportation.
@yanzalong (13059)
In my country (if I am not wrong.) there is no rolling stop. We only have stop sign or no stopping sign.
We have those stop signs - and everyone must come to a complete stop. But people do not do that - and it is dangerous . . . it is surprising that too many get away with it.
@yanzalong (13059)
@much2say There is no traffic police around it?
@yanzalong Sometimes . Our city is big and perhaps there are not enough police to go around .
• Denver, Colorado
I always thought it was called a "California Stop."
Maybe . . . I've probably heard it that way too.
• Denver, Colorado
@much2say - It's the only place I've ever seen it done, that's for sure.
@teamfreak16 Really? Everyone breaks tons of other driving laws/rules left and right out here - it's pretty scary on a daily basis.
@Gillygirl (32705)
• Sutton, England
We would call this postcode lottery in the UK
Postcode lottery? Wait, what is that?
@Gillygirl (32705)
• Sutton, England
@much2say It is a postcode applicable in each area of the UK. A London postcode means that the police are more likely to be brutal whereas in quiet rural areas they are more understanding
@Gillygirl Ah, got it. Depends on where you are kinda thing. I guess it can be like that here as there are pockets of rough areas in this big city. But as a whole, maybe the district is just too big and the regulations aren't controlled well anymore .
I've noticed that here the cops are moody, if they're in the mood they'll cite you for spitting out the window and sometimes they seem not to care if you're speeding, I'm not really sure what the problem is. Thankfully I stick to freeway driving mostly, at least there aren't any stop signs along the way.
Hate to say it - but maybe it's a power trip at times. Other times, like any other job, maybe some are just not doing their job. I just get so mad with what people get away with here. Freeways are smoother . . . I wish I could get everywhere with only freeways!!
That's what I don't like about living in crowded cities @much2say
@much2say It is sad but I do not see cops always following rules and if people see that they think if the cops do not follow rules why should they. I think police should set a better example to the public.
I agree. If the cops are not following the laws, everyone else is going to think it's ok for everyone to not follow them. Then everyone is being unsafe on the road .
@much2say I do not rely on our police for much here.
@sophie09 (7487)
thank you for sharing !!
How are the police where you live?
@sophie09 (7487)
@much2say working well and ready 24/7 i guess
@cacay1 (42202)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
Sorry for what you have observed in their traffic laws. Anywhere there are violators and deserve a penalty.
I observe this at nearly every intersection - every day - and that's basically everyone . I think one of the problems here is there are not enough cops around to stop these people - people really get away with too much here.
Rolling stops??? They do not stop at some stop signs here they just keep going.
I see some of those too. I feel like everyone should be required to go back to driver's ed .
@sol_cee (19654)
• Japan
You’ll never get a gold driver’s license if you do these rolling stops in Nihon, ne.
I would think they are pretty strict there. How are the drivers there? I have never lived or gone there, so I don't have a sense of that. I imagine Nihon's drivers are more sensible, because they have to be.
• Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Well supposedly very strict I am assuming. Its the law Coppers sometimes do thing like this makes you wonder huh? I think that its the same here in CO as CA.
I hate to say it, but sometimes I just don't feel "protected". And funny how I see all these young drivers driving like maniacs . . . but then some of these cops seem to be that young too . What has this world come to???