Getting some vitamin D

Warning: You may want to wear sunglasses when you read this post! My heritage is primarily Swedish, Norwegian, Scottish, and English. I am quite fair-skinned, so I do not tan well. I burn. Yesterday, I set an alarm for 20 minutes and allowed my legs to get some sunshine from the knees down. today, I walked for almost four miles in an overcast sky, but I felt myself getting a little bit of sun on my arms with a tank top on. I knew I was starting to burn, so then I put on SPF 50 sunscreen spray. I would like to be able to go out in the sun a little bit when I'm in Aruba, but I will be need to be very careful. Photo is my own. Let me apologize, in advance, for the glare off of my white legs!
At the moment there is no photo. I have fair skin and I am always careful not to burn my shoulders, nose and other parts that burn quickly. I never sit in the sun I always look for shade and put on slots of sunscreen when I walk around.
I think I got a little sun today that I don't normally get so I may feel it tomorrow. I'm not sure yet
@TheSojourner my dad was 6 foot 1 in. and he always said his nose was the closest to the sun so on vacation he would cover his nose with a leaf and his glasses kept it in place
@RasmaSandra LOL I absolutely love that! He sounds like he was quite a character.
No photo, dear. It seems that now we have to protect us from the sun no matter how dark our skin is. It is a good idea to start tanning little by little so that pigmentation is ready for a walk in Aruba.
Well I'm not going to be tanning per se but certainly am going to expose my skin to a little more Sunshine thanI usually do this time of year
so true. we're used to the sun here since we're near the equator, but even us are noticing how harsh it is now.
@TheSojourner If you expose yourself to the sun, say, 10 minutes every day from now on, you will not get sunburned in Aruba.
@wolfgirl569 (18109)
• Marion, Ohio
The picture didnt show. My legs are white as I am almost always in jeans. But I tan fairly easily.
@wolfgirl569 (18109)
• Marion, Ohio
@TheSojourner My legs are still decent for muscle. But between the animals being brats and the flies wanting to bite it is easier to wear my jeans.
@wolfgirl569 I have muscle...it is just covered up by fat and old saggy skin
@LindaOHio (6812)
@wolfgirl569 You and those bratty animals!! lol
I have primarily Scottish, and I'm a redhead. I always have the 100 SPF ready to go for my daughter and I. lol
I didn't know they made spf100
@TheSojourner It's a Neutrogena skin cream sunscreen. I have to but sensitive skin products as well, so it's with the regular skin care products and not with the regular sun screen.
@scottishbarbie thank you for the recommendation
@bunnybon7 (41414)
• Holiday, Florida
yes even if it is breezy you can get some burn. yrs back we were out with friends on an over cast day and still her 6 mth old baby got some burn on her arms. The doctor said the sun still carries potential burn through the wind
One more of those damned if you do damned if you don't situation as! Haha
@bunnybon7 (41414)
• Holiday, Florida
@TheSojourner yes it is. Seems life is all about that these days. I miss the good old days. long gone
@bunnybon7 for me the good old days were far from good. I think every decade has its good moments and challenging moments. But to go back? I don't know that I would. Of course, if we knew better as we do when we are over 50 or 60 or 70, then that wisdom in a 20 year old body would it have made a difference? I don't know
@LowRiderX (10957)
• Serbia
Oh, and I'm the same, and I'm burning in the sun. But this summer I will be well prepared before going to vacation
That is my plan, as well!
@LowRiderX (10957)
• Serbia
@TheSojourner Every day, spending some time in the sun, when it's not in zenith
@LowRiderX I got sunlight today but not Direct on my skin. I sat out in the yard on a chair under a tree. So the shade protects my skin, but I still get the day light!
@kareng (13796)
I just got my shorts out last month to wear here around the house. My arms, shoulders, and neck are tanned but my legs look like a ghost. Hopefully, they will get some color soon. I am normally outside a decent amount of time each day between taking care of the yard and the animals.
I haven't worn shorts in a long time. Maybe I should get some. But I like capri pants
@kareng (13796)
@TheSojourner I like capris too but since I am so short they are like ankle length for me.
@kareng and I have had pants that I roll up to Capri's because I am right at 5 9 and 1/2 some pants are short on me so I roll them up and they're perfect for capris!
dang, those aint white! ya ought'a see mine, ya could use 'em 's reflective signals to warn off folks 'f danger, lol. the 'nly 'color' i'd 've 'd all the road maps that lead to nowhere. ya know, varicose veins?? yup, i've ol' lady legs :(
I used a filter to get greener looking grass on camera, and it showed a little bit more color than is actually there. I actually have one varicose vein I see coming up in the back of my calf. And I don't show above my knees. It's not a pretty sight.
@TheSojourner ah, i see :) i wish i'd jest one. lots 'f swellin' came with the cipro toxicity 'n i've roadmaps all o'er. my ankles 're mostly purple/red. 'tis good i aint a vain person...
@crazyhorseladycx I'm not really vain, but I certainly want to be presentable.
@TheSojourner What happens when you put sun tan lotion on first and then go in the sun? I am sorry you do not tan. I have been tanning since I was very young. I look forward to summer so I can sit in the sun and get a tan.
yesterday I went out walking. I had a tank top on and it was an overcast day. I put SPF 50 all over my arms and my chest and my back that was exposed in my neck and ears my shoulders and my back and the front of me are a little bit sunburned. I was out for 60 minutes yesterday in the daytime
@TheSojourner I have found that one can get a tan or sunburn when the weather is overcast. You did right by putting all that on.
@Hannihar thanks
• Rupert, Idaho
I am the same way....I don't tan very well either. I burn so easily!
I think that it gets worse as we get older. I know that I spent more time in the sun when I was a child, and with a little bit Browner. Now I just don't get that way on my legs.
• Rupert, Idaho
@TheSojourner That could be....I think I always burned pretty badly though myself, no matter the age!
@MommyOfEli2013 I just remember being everyday in the pool in California swimming and my legs were much tanner than they are now.
@JustBhem (56143)
• Davao, Philippines
And are you getting the tan you like?
I don't like being tan. However, because I'm going to be in the Caribbean, I need to get my skin a little used to being more exposed. I have never been one to sit in the Sun. I burn too easily.
@JustBhem (56143)
• Davao, Philippines
@TheSojourner I see, just not much of color then.
@JustBhem no, you can tell by my photograph of how fair I am.
@LindaOHio (6812)
Pile on the sunscreen in Aruba if your skin is so white!
I am going to see if I can find SPF 100. Yesterday I used SPF 50 and still got a little burnt. But I was in the Sun for about an hour with a tank top on while I was walking.
@LindaOHio (6812)
@TheSojourner You got burnt with SPF 50? Wow! Yes, get something stronger.
@LindaOHio well I'm not sure how sunscreen works. And yes I got burnt with SPF 50. But I was out in the height of the daytime even with cloud cover, and was out for 60 minutes walking the trails
@ShifaLk (15973)
Hehe... I have put on glasses for this post.
@ShifaLk (15973)
@TheSojourner I have read the whole post now
@velvet53 (19578)
• Palisade, Colorado
I put my sun glasses on as soon as you mentioned it. Lol I tan pretty easily. Actually I get the reddish tan. Be careful that you don't burn bad.
I am going to do my best!
@velvet53 (19578)
• Palisade, Colorado
@TheSojourner I bet you will be just fine. Go slow and easy.
@CarolDM (32754)
Just be careful but you know that already. I burn easily as well.
Thank you! I need to be careful. Yesterday, I didn't burn on my legs, because they were not exposed, but I had a tank top on and used SPF 50, and I still burned with having 60 Minutes walking 3 miles in an overcast area. I'm going to go look for SPF 100.
@CarolDM (32754)
@TheSojourner That sounds like a good idea. You can never be too careful.
The color of my skin is like yours, I burn I do not tan. The only places I visited where I tanned were St.Maarten and Puerto Rico, I also got two bad sunburns in both places.
Will try to toughen up a little
@TheSojourner Good luck, I hope it will work for you.
@Janet357 (19177)
white skinned people are prone to skin cancer. thats why i always bring umbrella or i dont expose myself too much to the sun
Which is why I like it when it's a little rainy, and I don't go outdoors in heavy Sun.
@Janet357 (19177)
@responsiveme (23357)
The grass is too wet onmylawn to do this.....In any case here we do the opposite of getting a tan. Always an umbrella is the golden rule not to get burnt...I keeping losing lots of them.So I don't stick to that rule all the time.
I remember as a little girl that I found it was odd that people who were very white wanted to be darker. People who are darker wanted to be lighter. Of course, I understand the difference as I'm older, based on how people were treated. in those days, with the African-American community, the lighter-skinned people we're treated better than the darker-skinned people. Much later after I was gone on my own, I remember seeing my father on television, and he had an afro hairstyle using permanent rods and chemicals and he had been tanning. He looked like he was mixed race. I thought that very interesting, given how he talked about people of color.
@Gillygirl (32878)
• Sutton, England
You are like me, I can't go out in the sun without factor 50. Your heritage is interesting. I am waiting for my resultd from Ancestry.com
I think I would like to see the very fine-tuned results. I may do the test. The one my brother did a number of years ago was good, but I think it's even got more information in today's world.
• Calgary, Alberta
I miss the sun, The warmest temperature I have now is 16 degrees. Be proud of your white legs, Southeast Asians bathe in papaya soap to have that.
Where are you? That sounds like here in Seattle area. Papaya soap. Interesting.