Back In Mississippi

We arrived back in Mississippi yesterday afternoon. My internet connection was slim to none while we were in West Virginia. I hope that you have all had a nice July so far and I am looking forward to catching up with all of you. The above photograph is of one of our West Virginia turnpike tollbooths. There are three in total and they have gone up to $4.00 each. I think that they were only $1.25 sixteen years ago when we first bought our house there. The entire round trip costs $24.00 now for tolls. Have you ever been through a tollbooth ?
@thelme55 (19463)
Yes, I have been to a tollbooth but it was in England not in Germany. I don't think we have tollbooths in Germany. I have not seen one when traveling.
I never saw any in Germany either.
Welcome back! We can usually get around those toll roads - so we try not to use them. Going to my sister in law's, I think we got the bill in the mail (I guess they take a photo of the license plate or something?) . . . going on it and to go back ended up to be like $15.
Fortunately I've never encountered any I need Mississippi.
The toll roads have become very expensive. We pay $ 4.50 each way when we go to Milan and it's for less than a hundred miles.
The beauty of the West Virginia turnpike is worth the price as long as it doesn't creep up too much more.
@Tampa_girl7 The highway leading to Milan is not even nice.
• Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Wow those tolls did go up huh Marie? Glad you arrived safely though I know you want to go back. Hope you had a nice 4th too.
I didn't want to leave.
• Wheat Ridge, Colorado
@Tampa_girl7 I wish that soon you will not have to.
@TiarasOceanView me too, but my daddy needs me here in Mississippi.
It's good to see you back. I hope you enjoyed your time away. We don't have any toll roads in our state but there are some over East.
I had a very nice time.
@Tampa_girl7 That's good to hear.
@Beaser (241)
Oh yes. Back in the day the Florida Turnpike was $.10 and that I recall there were only a few toll plazas along the way. Now it costs $10+ to travel the Florida Turnpike. I believe they originally started charging a toll to pay for the turnpike. I can't believe that it's not paid for yet.
I was born in Tampa and can't recall ever coming across a toll until a recent trip back.
@Beaser (241)
@Tampa_girl7 - Before the current toll tags, you had to stop at the toll booth and get a ticket. Then when you got off the turnpike you had to present the ticket and you paid a toll based on where your ticket originated and where you were getting off.
Yes, we have tollbooths here too. I used to go through them, but no need to do so these days.
It's good that you don't need them.
@Tampa_girl7 My husband and son have I-Passes. Not sure how much those cost.
If I did, it was when I was very little and we used to go on vacations.
I don't remember them from my childhood.
I figure out routes to avoid that extortion.
The West Virginia turnpike is breathtaking. We could avoid it , but it makes the trip shorter.
@LindaOHio (6812)
Yes, many times. It gets expensive!
It does add up.
@CarolDM (32754)
Yes I have when I lived in New Orleans.
New Jersey seems to have the most at almost every 20 feet. We use Easy Pass (sp?). New York tolls are ridiculous.
We'd get a pass too if we lived there full time.
A long time ago. Those tollbooth can really get expensive.
This particular toll does save us time in getting there.
@simone10 (30828)
Wow, that's a lot! Yes, I've been through tollbooths but can't remember where it was.
@noni1959 (5743)
Tolls can be so pricey and if someone didn't do their homework knowing about tolls, can be stuck without enough money. I wonder what they do in that case? Do they take info and have you mail it in? I've been off more recently. Still no internet in my cabin.
That's highway robbery, literally. The last time I went through a toll booth it was a dollar something. Wisconsin doesn't have toll booths.
@mom210 (7558)
I am glad all went well. yes, we have toll booths here too. I do not like to pay for roads though, seems like I did that through my taxes already
We go through one on the Beacon Bridge when we come back from Pennsylvania, it is only a toll one direction.
@Elizaby (5020)
• Pensacola, Florida
Yes I have. How are you faring under Tropical storm Barry
I've never been through a toll booth, I'll bet they're a hassle. When I used to travel more I'd go through AZ to get to NV and I'd have to stop at check points where they'd confiscate any fruits or living plants I might have with me but I never had to pay them.