Just checking in today, July 10th

Here we are, Wednesday, it is raining today here in western Washington State. Yesterday, I did get out and walked almost four miles overall, with three miles of it being done in one hour during the middle of the day. It was overcast, and I was protected with SPF 50 sunscreen, but I did get a little bit burned on my arms and my shoulders, while I was wearing a tank top. I also went to an area here on the base that has a couple of little lakes and walked around entirely, which is about 1/2 Mile. They also have a new playground gym equipment area for little children, and there was a young Japanese girl there who was 23 years of age. She had the most beautiful two little girls, ages three and one. We ended up talking for quite a long time, and I think that we have begun a friendship. she and I talked very openly, about many things. She just lost her grandmother a year ago to cancer, and they were very close. Her grandmother was a little bit older than I am, and she is one year older than my granddaughter. I think it was meant for us to meet, because we both have had family situations that have caused us pain. I was very surprised when she looked at me after about an hour, and she had tears in her eyes, and she threw her arms around me to hug me. Having been around quite a few Japanese people in my life time, I was not expecting her openness to show emotion and to hug me, as a total stranger except for what we shared together that hour. She touched my heart greatly. I have been rather weepy lately, and I'm not sure what that's all about. For some reason, I'm allowing my emotions to show, as well. I was taught that my being who I am was less than desirable, so now at my stage of life, I'm trying to be as authentic as I can be. I think that I am finally allowing some people to see that, and I am finding that not everyone thinks that's a bad thing... or that I am bad. I am allowing people to see the softer side of me, which can be rather embarrassing when I cry. The last two days, I have been using my Fitbit application to start tracking the food I eat. I don't generally worry too much about it, but I am finding that tracking helps me to be more conscious of it. I am, generally, a more spontaneous person, but I know that I need to keep things in my mind fresh, so that I can meet the health goals that I have set for myself. I know many of you are familiar with my food inventory project that I have been working the last couple of months. I should probably write a discussion on what's been happening and how certain patterns and habits have started to change. Everything that I have in my refrigerator and freezer, as well as the pantry, are accounted for and I have thrown nothing else away in the last couple of months. That is a good thing! I have stripped my bed, and am airing it out. I need to put the sheets and the duvet cover in the wash. I also have plans to go into the garage and get through a couple more boxes. I need to start getting back into the pattern of doing that on a daily basis so that I can get through things that I've been working on much too slowly. I hope everyone is doing well. Thank you for allowing me the opportunity to simply tell of my days... And to share my struggles, my failures, and my successes. Photo is my own. Taken in Poulsbo, Washington, on July 8th, 2019.
I know what you mean by those Japanese ways . . . that's what I grew up with. I don't even hug my mom, dad, or sister . . . but my own family I do . . . and interestingly my parents do hug my kids. So the hug was surprising too, but I'm glad she could show you how she really felt - you brought that out in her and I'm sure it was good for her to release that. The past few months have tested me .. . I'm having my anger direct me in a positive way (rather than negative) and I am able to speak up better than ever before (I was such a softy for so long - on the outside anyway). I've even finally tackled one major obstacle today - patting myself on the back. We are both still evolving . I want to write more but I gotta go get dinner ready before the kids and I have to go out. Making use of a leftover (spaghetti sauce) and whatever pasta we have in the pantry. See, I've got Coral influence . You have a good evening too!
Hugs. And I really appreciate your perspective on this. And I'm proud of you for standing up for you!
@TheSojourner Still work in progress . . . but moving forward as much as possible .
@much2say as long as we're moving forward and not backward, doesn't matter how slowly, right?
@Bensen32 (4848)
I thought it always rained in Washington? Don't you only get like 4 days a year that the sun comes out Glad you made a new friend. The Japanese people I have met are not that open with others usually. But that is good she felt she could.
There are actually many places that get much more rain in volume than we do. And, you've never been to Sequim Washington, have you. It's a rain shadow and it only rains there a handful of days a year!
@Bensen32 (4848)
@TheSojourner I have not been there, actually I have never been to Washington. a friend of mine moved to Seattle a few years back and we give him crap about it always raining although none of us have been there to really know, but that don't stop us from talking like we know
@Bensen32 (4848)
@TheSojourner Thanks, glad I make you laugh
@noni1959 (5743)
I'm glad you were able to meet someone. I'm sorry you feel weepy lately and emotional. Lot's of hugs for you.
Thank you, Loretta. I hope that someday you and I can meet.
@noni1959 (5743)
@TheSojourner That would be nice. Some day I'll be going to WA. I have a cousin there I want to see and there is another place that has tree houses to rent for the night I'd love to do. Maybe during then we can.
@noni1959 I have never heard about the tree houses. Where's that at?
@kareng (13797)
I agree. I think you made a new friend. Glad you had a good day. We have a tropical depression in the Gulf of Mexico and will have rain through the weekend. Not looking forward to flash flooding, flooding, etc., but with over ten inches of rain expected, we can expect some flooding.
Are you in Louisiana? I have a friend of mine that lives just on the Northside about 45 minutes from New Orleans there at Lake Pontchartrain. I used to live in Harvey and Marrero when I was stationed on the Westbank of New Orleans
@kareng (13797)
@TheSojourner I used to be. I was born and raised and lived most of my life in LA. Your friend must live in Madisonville or Mandeville/Covington area?
@kareng I'm not exactly sure. But I've been to those places.
@DWDavis (17696)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
I don't think it was coincidence that brought you to that mom. She needed an understanding and sympathetic ear, and you were her angel today.
I think she did more for me than I did for her.
@DWDavis (17696)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
@TheSojourner All you angels say that.
@DWDavis I really don't think I can be an angel with my sailor mouth.
• Rupert, Idaho
Well I am always glad to read updates and when people talk about how they are doing. So thanks for the update/check in! Great photo by the way.
Thank you so much, Courtney. Heading to bed. Hope you have a good night.
• Rupert, Idaho
@TheSojourner No problem, anytime! Hope you had a good night too
@MommyOfEli2013 it's 12: 30 right now on Thursday night, Friday morning. I'm just going to turn off the TV in the lights and head to bed. I have to be up at 6: 30.
@LindaOHio (6812)
I'm glad you were able to find a friend. Thank you for sharing your activities with us.
Thanks, Linda. I hope you're doing well.
@LindaOHio (6812)
@TheSojourner I'm doing OK.
@thelme55 (19463)
I am glad that you met a new friend. I think she has an instinct to have found you and have talked to you for a lot of things. Not many Japanese people are open to a stranger. I hope you continue your friendship.
She is married to a Filipino man that was born and raised in Guam. He is in the Navy. So the openness might come from having the experience of being around he and his family for the last 3 years. They now live in Washington not too far from here about a two-hour drive. So they see one another his family and her every weekend.
@thelme55 (19463)
@TheSojourner that is great. So she is open now to a conversation and influenced by the heartwarming and friendly Filipino community.
@responsiveme (23357)
That's what I say about kindred spirits...They spring upon you anytime anywhere and it was meant to be. The term is what I picked up in Anne of green gables book and I find it holds in real life too. I hope your friendship grows. I remember July 10th as it was my father's 87th best, the 1st since he was gone. So many memories came rushing in and I was so glad that last year we siblings had all gone home to spend it with him. The day itself was rainy here too and I went out and did many errands as the rain showed no signs of stopping. Met my old neighbours too and had Togo to college to collect some papers. I hope you are walking about.
I I'm just checking in here and wanted to thank you for this response. Yes, Kindred Spirits. I find that I am opening myself up to allow more of them in!
@TheSojourner hugs back
@wolfgirl569 (18109)
• Marion, Ohio
That was a good day. Hope you see your new friend soon. It sounds like you were good for each other.
Sometimes people drop out of nowhere!
That was a good walk physically and emotionally.
Perhaps. It was a little tough.
@FourWalls (20017)
It’s interesting how people just seem to have a “sixth sense” about finding people who can help them (and who they can be of help to).
I don't know what drew me to that child playground, because she wasn't there when I started. I do find those things interesting, as well.
I also think that meeting the young mother was meant to be. I track my food too. Mindless eating sneaks up me if I don't track my food.
I know I've been very hungry all day. I may have to start looking at smaller meals more often.
I think its an age thing about allowing the "ME" or "You" to show. I have never really cared what people think about me, maybe that is selfish. I am hard sometimes, but I was the door mat for way to long not this b*tch rules. Edit : yes continue and I will too on the hoarding project, I am slacking also.
I can't wait to hear about your food inventory project progress
Thank you, Jill. It really is amazing to me how I've kept things arranged, and getting rid of things and not always buying things to replace it. I have purchased a few other things that I feel are necessary, as I'm trying to make some dietary changes, as well.