Diary 9th And 10th July 2019

Photo taken by me - The Shakespeare pub sign - Canterbury
Preston, England
Tuesday 9th July - Today involved little more than preparing for Wednesday when I have to see my new welfare officer. In the evening I decided to watch a Shakespeare Play online. There are 16 of the plays I have not yet read or seen in performance. I settled on The Merry Wives Of Windsor which I found disappointing, though well acted (by The Shakespeare By The Sea company). It is a fairly preposterous farcical runaround. It centres on John Falstaff, the larger than life drunken womanizing Knight of four of the history plays. He was much loved so when Shakespeare killed him off in Henry V, fans were outraged. The independent Merry Wives was written to give the great man one last adventure but it is a weak one. Falstaff writes identical love letters to two married women hoping to seduce them but the women compare letters and set elaborate traps to humiliate Falstaff several times. It turns into a rather silly runaround. Wednesday 10th July - My meeting with my advisor went OK, but she seemed unsure when she needs to see me again. I walked from the welfare office to the library, (they are only a few minute walk apart) and when I logged on the computer there I found she had set my mandatory appointment for a week on Monday, meaning I will have to cut a long weekend in Manchester down by a day just to report to her again on my job search activity. Annoying. Tonight I watched another Shakespeare play online, Cymbeline, oddly presented as a tragedy in many book editions but no one dies, characters have a happy reunion at the end and everyone ends up happy. It runs like King Lear, when King Cymbeline banishes his son in law, his wicked step-wife tries unsuccessfully to poison everyone, the King is reunited with sons stolen off him in infancy, and even the invading Romans are welcomed. The God Jupiter turns up to magic everything to a satisfactory end. Where is the tragedy? Arthur Chappell
@Gillygirl (32878)
• Sutton, England
Is there any way you can delay the meeting? You should not have to cut your trip to Manchester short
• Preston, England
@Gillygirl they can cut my benefits if I don't show up - only an emergency would be grounds to skip attending - hoping to go to Dublin in August so hoping they don't mess that up for me too
This is a beautiful sign, I like it a lot. I am so sorry you have to cut short your weekend in Manchester. I wonder if they fix the appointment on Monday for a sadistic pleasure.
• Preston, England
@LadyDuck they would have no idea of my travel plans - she just picked the day and time to suit her. My previous advisor discussed dates with me while I was at the office and if I said I was busy on a given day she happily picked a different one - this advisor just springs appointments on me regardless of anything else I might have lined up for that time - it makes planning or promising anything else very difficult
@arthurchappell This advisor is pretty rude, at least propose a few dates to choose from.
• Preston, England
@LadyDuck that would be the best option and approach yes
@xander6464 (14524)
• Wapello, Iowa
Jupiter---The God, not the planet---needs to show up a lot more often.
• Preston, England
@xander6464 they probably don't get mixed up too often
@xander6464 (14524)
• Wapello, Iowa
@arthurchappell That's probably true.
• Preston, England
@xander6464 The villain in The Hills Have Eyes was called Jupiter too
@moonandstars (19184)
• Zagreb, Croatia (Hrvatska)
I see you're in a Royal Theatre now How come she's unsure when to see you; is she going on a vacation or?
• Preston, England
@moonandstars I think she knows full well when she can see me - they just want to mess me around.
• Zagreb, Croatia (Hrvatska)
@arthurchappell O, same heartless people
• Preston, England
@moonandstars they are like that sadly
Perhaps you will stumble upon a Shakespeare play online that is very well done. A shame that the others were a bit of a disappointment in some areas.
• Preston, England
They were both well staged, I think it is the original source material that is weak. I recently watched their Richard 2nd which is brilliant
@arthurchappell So glad you watched Richard the 2nd!
• Preston, England
@Corbin5 That is a good one - really enjoyed it
@JESSY3236 (9627)
nice sign. I love Shakespeare. I want to one day read some more of his plays.
• Preston, England
@JESSY3236 most of the plays are online
I guess even Shakespeare wrote the odd less-than-noteworthy play, I haven't heard of Cymbeline.
• Preston, England
@JudyEv it is quite an obscure one
@LindaOHio (6812)
Thank you for the interesting update. Hopefully you will find a Shakespeare play that you find worthy.
• Preston, England
@LindaOHio most of the plays are great
@Blondie2222 (23778)
Sorry to hear the plays you watched online were disappointing. I hope you find one that's good enough to want to watch again. Glad your meeting went ok but sucks you have to cut your next weekend short.