My stepdaughter/social media/slang

@sissy15 (7120)
I realize that every generation has its own version of slang that they use and for the most part I respect that but what absolutely drives me bonkers is this gangster-like speak that seems to be a fad now for kids who aren't even remotely poverty-stricken or trying to survive on the streets they just think it sounds cool. My stepdaughter has been posting selfies and statuses using this sort of speak and it's absolutely annoying. She doesn't swear she uses all of the abbreviations for it because I think she thinks it makes her sound cool. She also has a ton of people on her friend's list she doesn't know which worries me. She is only fifteen. I feel like her social media access should be more strictly monitored but I don't get a say. I am not close to her and neither is my husband. I don't really know what she is like but I feel like she's changing to fit in with people and that's a bit sad but I get how hard high school is. Sometimes I wish I could just talk to girls that age and tell them to be themselves because it is good enough no matter what other people say. Most people end up regretting the way they acted in high school and in the long run none of that superficial stuff from high school matters anyway. I don't know her well but I can tell the way she presents herself on social media is very different from the way she used to before she entered high school. She is trying to be "sexy" now and cool where before it was just sort of cute kid stuff. I get they grow up but I feel like she is trying to be someone she isn't to fit in. This kid is smart and does well in school and has always stayed out of trouble but she presents herself as someone different. It's amazing how social media can completely warp the way you see yourself and your views. People are so obsessed with selfies and it's insane. That's the majority of what she posts is selfies because I think she is after that like factor. It's not just her I swear this is most teenagers I know. My son isn't even going to be allowed to have a social media account until he's at least a teenager and then it's going to be heavily monitored. There are so many child predators out there that it really does scare me how many people she friends that she doesn't know. One of her friends tried to add me and I found that odd and just ignored the invite. I don't even know who these people are. I am assuming they saw my last name was the same as hers and tried to add me. I doubt she even knows him.
@mrki444 (3518)
• Osijek, Croatia (Hrvatska)
Every thing is evolving so does language.
@sissy15 (7120)
I would consider this the opposite of evolving...just a personal opinion.
@sissy15 (7120)
@MALUSE I understand what it means but I also see it as the way of moving forward which this isn't. I don't understand teenagers at all. I know people that are into vintage clothes from second-hand clothing stores that's in now too but I don't know anyone that flies anywhere to go shopping for them. I sometimes feel I'm a bit old too. I see some people my age and I feel like I was born an eighty-year-old woman because I'm not like that at all. I often relate to the older generation more than my own but I'm still young enough to know how to use electronics and appreciate some of the things from my generation. I don't envy you for teaching that age group. I prefer younger kids who can be a handful but typically less mouthy and more fun obviously this also depends on the age and the kids. I just don't think I could handle listening to the slang all day. My son speaks like an adult most of the time and likes to play with new words I'd hate to see him throw his big vocabulary in the trash to speak slang. Starting to think maybe it's better that he isn't around his brother and sister I wouldn't want him to pick it up but then again maybe he wouldn't.
@sissy15 I think that an intelligent teen is bilingual and knows where which vocabulary is appropriate.
this is their language.Would not worry about this too much
@sissy15 (7120)
I'm not worried about the language I just don't like it what I'm worried about are the random people she friends on social media that she doesn't know.
@sissy15 yes that could be tough there.Not sure how to handle it
@sophie09 (7487)
they've got their modern language