My struggles with weight and exercise are real

Note: I will be referencing weight measurements in pounds. For those of you that use the metric system, 2.2 pounds equals 1 kg. As many know, I started a weight loss Journey by exercise and diet last year, during my time away from this site. I had gained back 50 lb in 5 years since my diagnosis, when I dropped 85 lb in 3 months when I got L. Have I been a normal weight, I probably would have died 7 years ago when all of that happened. I'm grateful that I had the weight originally to lose. But believing that I was going to be dead in six months to a year, 5 years later I was 50 pounds heavier than my lowest weight of 185 pounds. Last year in April, I was back up to nearly 240 lb. that was also the sixth month anniversary of the beginning of the hell which is called stage 4 cancer diagnosis, of which there is no cure or chemo, in my case. I started watching what I ate, losing 11 lb in three months. Then in July and August, I started walking and hiking. It was difficult, but I kept doing it. My goal was to be under 200 pounds by January 1st, but I was about four or five pounds away. In February this year, I saw a one in front of the three numbers. In April this year I saw the lowest I've been at 193.6. ...and then I seemed to start spiraling down emotionally with depression and some other things. April, May, and June are some of the toughest times for me. I was back here on this site, and I started to allow some people to see my struggles, and I talked about the things that were troubling me at a certain level. I also found myself gaining weight, because I stopped walking all the time and begin to shut down from the world around me, even here, and by the end of June I was back to over 200 pounds, and barely getting any exercise. It was not because of the computer time, but I found myself shutting myself in my home doing nothing. The big difference, I talked about it here. I've started opening up more to certain people. On July 1st, I was 204 lbs. If I'm honest with you, I have seen 206 pounds on my scale a few days after that. Getting back started walking was difficult. I have altered my minimum goal of steps to reflect 6000 steps per day, which is approximately 3 miles for me, given my stride, which is just under five kilometers. I need to get back to finding the time and working back up to where I was before. This past Tuesday, I was well over 7600 steps for the day. Yesterday, I was at 6600 steps for the day. I am happy to report, I just got back on the scale this morning (11 July), and I am 201.6 lbs., Nearly 3.5 lb since the first day of the month, more if you count the extra couple pounds a few days later. My initial goal is to get back to under 200 within the next 10 days. From there, I'd like to lose one pound per week. Should that be feasible for me, it would put me below the 193.6 that I reached in April. It would be nice if I could get into the 180s before my vacation, but that's probably not feasible. So, there you have it. By declaring things openly, it keeps me aware. I also recognize there are others who struggle with the same things that I do. I believe that in sharing with one another, we can keep ourselves on track, or encourage one another. Photo is my own, shared through Fitbit. That was the difference between 239 lb and 202 lb. The photos shared in the Link was the difference down to what I was before I started gaming in April again.
If you read my last post, you know that I've been gone 11 months. I shared that I've been taking care of me. There is so much that has happened this past year...
@CarolDM (32919)
The trip is no doubt helping you as well. Good for you.
Thank you for the kind words. I appreciate them
You have to draw upon discipline and routine to push yourself forward even your mind and mood rebels. You can't give into "I don't feel like it today."
yes, I know this. And it wasn't just about not feeling like it, but going into some pretty deep depression in these last several months.
• Rupert, Idaho
Thank you for sharing about your struggles, and opening up to us...I believe that sharing can help keep ourselves on track, and all of that too - that is why I was sharing my daily food/macros. However, I have struggles myself and fell off the wagon. That's great that you started with the walking and got back down some on the scale!
Thank you so much, Courtney. And today I got my steps in and so that's three days in a row at about 3 miles each plus, and I've been keeping my calorie content between 1500 and 1800 calories these last three days that I've been entering it into the online log. I know what a struggle it is for you to be able to do what's necessary. I think this is not easy for anyone given whatever our ills are or however young or old we are.
• Rupert, Idaho
@TheSojourner My pleasure, anytime! That's great that you did, that's great work! And sounds like good calories, and I think it's always good to track them. I appreciate that you know, and understand....some think that dieting, and losing weight is such a simple thing....but it definitely is not! And yes...there are so many factors that go into it!
@MommyOfEli2013 I hope you had a good day, and get some sleep tonight. I'm heading to bed now. It's 12: 30 p. M. And I have to be up in 6 hours.
@JustBhem (56154)
• Davao, Philippines
And you did well in losing weight, do you feel good about it?
@fasihpti (406)
what is your weight ??
@fasihpti this is not a question that most would consider being in good taste or acceptable to ask.
I always feel good in weight loss and controlling our food habits...
@DWDavis (17746)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
You have come a long way in a short time and with your persistence and resilience, I know you'll reach your goal. I understand the battle with weight and exercise. I've fought it most of my adult life since leaving the Army. In January, I topped out at 304 lbs (138kg) and realized I had to do something different. That something different, following the Noom system, has me down to 253.5 lbs (115kg) as of this morning. I am still working toward my goal, as are you.
How tall are you, Doug? It's so easy for us to game it, isn't it? I know that at my very heaviest before I got sick I was between 275 and 280 lb one thing was that my body and Mabel's me to be able to do that. What I mean by that, my body structure has big bones and nobody ever guessed me to be as heavy as that, nor do they now, so it's as if I can be enabled because my body carries weight distributed differently. I am glad that noom is working for you. I was wondering how that was going. I looked into it, but the cost of it for me was not valuable enough to make that decision to do it. Besides, my physical dietary limitations leave me unable to eat certain foods, so I just figured that I could come up with my own situation and it seems to work. But if I don't exercise, and do this in tandem, it just won't work. Congratulations on your success has! I'm so very proud of you!
@DWDavis (17746)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
@TheSojourner I am 6'3" and medium boned, but I do hide extra weight well. But I knew once I recovered fully from my hip surgery I needed to get the surplus off and keep it off. One of the things I like about Noom is they might suggest foods, but as long as you watch your portions and keep to your calorie budget you can eat the foods you like or are able. And there is no scolding when you go over budget or take a day off and eat how you want. They actually encourage you to do so every now and then. Noom uses psychology as its primary tool, with eating and exercising to back it up. I also like having a personal coach and a support group online who started when I did and are going through the same steps and challenges I am.
@DWDavis yes, I read about the program. And it seems like a good one. I just couldn't afford it. I didn't realize you were so tall! Another reason I'd like you!;-)
Good for you girl.You go.Your looking good.
@amadeo. Thank you so very much. I appreciate the compliments.
@fasihpti I really appreciate that you're trying to get involved in the conversations here. However, the kinds of questions you are asking other people about me and other women, regarding weight and age, is awkward. It's not considered very nice to ask those questions generally. Where are you from? And are you male or female? I have not seen you on this site before.
@TheSojourner Good morning.
@noni1959 (5768)
Weight loss and gain is a reality for me as well. I tend to lose and then go back to a certain weight but not go over which is a good thing but at the same time not good to gain. I've cut out a lot of things but still have carb issues. It's a bad habit when I'm emotional and depressed. Carbs make me feel better. I'm worried with the surgeries coming and not enough exercise will happen. I'm going to get busy in the pool or stretches more.
that's one of the things that I don't do enough of is stretching, so I'm going to start back at that again pretty soon. I just want to get this walking back in my habit for right now. Today was the third day that I have been out and getting a good walk in. I've at least met my goal every day for 3 days. If I can get another week's worth of that, the Habit should be feeling better then. I struggle with depression, as well. And when that happens, I can absolutely carb out, and I don't like it with sweets. But give me a bowl of mashed potatoes or a huge bowl of rice with a little bit of butter and pepper on it and that makes me feel better. Is that crazy? When do you go in for your surgeries?
@noni1959 (5768)
@TheSojourner I am the same way. It's not crazy. My daughter and family went on a trip early this morning so I had critter duty and got quite a bit of exercise in with the horses, donkey, cats and dogs. It will be another round of it tonight. I'm on three hours sleep so it causes my pain to be worse. Today, I'm trying to get more water in. That's been an issue with me.
@noni1959 I actually went on my walk and then got my over 6000 steps in today on this afternoon, but when I came home I poured myself a quart container of ginger ale and ice and I put some vodka in it and squeeze the lemon in it. So I'm sure I just got my calories for the day! I probably need to drink a lot of water and have a salad for dinner!
@responsiveme (23357)
When you share you commit....That you know already. Go for your goals...Knowing Coral,I know she is going to get there. About that exercise thing whatever it is,I wonder why alone it is more difficult than in a group. I sort of hurried through my yoga today but when sir comes do the whole thing properly. Since it is absolutely necessary for my hubby an instructor comes because otherwise it's a half hearted attempt. Love.
For me, doing the things in a group don't work as well for me. But I've been thinking about personal trainer and paying for it, because that may be the motivation if it's not too expensive. I want to thank you for your kind words. You do my heart so good. What type of yoga do you practice?
@TheSojourner I know there are different names of yoga from different schools but I don't know . Basically as you say there is a personal trainer who I got for my hubby when he was living alone and now have again engaged another teacher. I do along with them. They are exercises starting from neck to feet with emphasis on stretching exercises.after that we do some asanas.then pranayams which are breathing exercises. I like to do in a group and always did as then I really d to go for the classes. Bit I have many friends who practice their daily routines alone. You do whatever suits you best
@responsiveme I have been to yoga twice. The first one was a really bad experience. I'm not even going to spend the energy or negativity to tell about it. The second time was nicer and more relaxing. It might have had to do with the leader
• Lenox, Georgia
Having people around online and off certainly helps to encourage us and push us further than we can do on our own. =) I am proud of you for all you have accomplished-you are stronger than you know!
Thank you so very much, Jennifer. I really am glad to know you. We need to talk via telephone again sometime soon. I want to know a little bit more about this project of yours and how I might be able to help. I've just been swamped with some things here at the house because of all of the maintenance work and then not having computer and other things. I haven't forgotten about you but I need to figure out what time frame we're looking to do this so that I can try and mail out some of the shoes and costume type things that I have and some of the dresses
• Lenox, Georgia
@TheSojourner Aw, I'm so glad to know you as well!! Yes a phone call would be lovely again. =) I'm planning on the 2nd and 4th weekends in August for the costume session. I totally understand being busy-trust me! It's okay. =)
@LovingMyBabies I will do my best to get a few gowns ready. Most of them are very casual, but they could be dressed up in different ways.
@valmnz (15520)
• New Zealand
I agree that by declaring your struggle openly staying on task is easier. Good to see your face again
Thank you! How is life treating you? It's nice to see your face also!
@valmnz (15520)
• New Zealand
@TheSojourner things are a bit rough here at the moment as my husband is ill, otherwise life moves on.
@valmnz I will hope that things get better soon.
The thinner the better and you look great when viewing the Dec 2018 photo !
And that was 10 pounds heavier than the last picture with my jeans on. So there goes the skinnier the better argument!
@TheSojourner if you are NOT a type O blood type, lay off the saturated fats (animal proteins) your body does NOT metabolize well and only stores as fat
@enlightenedpsych2 I appreciate your knowledge and your help. in a normal person, that may be very well true. Add to that the stage 4 cancer with which I live, and what vegetable proteins, such as beans and legumes, do to my body because I can no longer process them and many other Foods, then I do the best that I can. If I do not eat lean meat, fish and eggs, then I I will not get the protein that I made for my body. If any of those things are too high in fat, then my body does not process them, but goes straight through me. When I am in a bout of diarrhea for a week and a half at a time, then I must eat heavy amounts of lean protein and white rice in order to bind me. It is what I live with. And I'm lucky to be alive. Again I thank you for your desire to help me live a better life.
@wolfgirl569 (18166)
• Marion, Ohio
You are doing great. I can see you getting below 200 very soon.
Thank you, Eva. I'm going to work hard at this one and these next few weeks. I've been tracking my food intake and need to figure out the balance between the exercise and what I'm eating. I'm averaging about 1600 calories intake these last 3 days
@wolfgirl569 (18166)
• Marion, Ohio
@TheSojourner You can do it. That seems a little high but you are taller so need more than I do. Plus you are walking a lot more than I do. So you should be about right probably.
@wolfgirl569 I remember when I hold my weight down to 1200, I am not getting the nutrients that I need to maintain my body and I lose a lot more bone mass and muscle mass. I've had the doctors tell me that I should keep it between 1500 and 1800. And exercise more
i'm so glad ya opened 'p, hon. there's lots 'f folks rootin' fer ya'n others who're strugglin'. be 't weight loss 'r whate'er else ails 'em. my sweet momma 'twas 'bout 200lbs when she fell ill. by the time they finally got 'er to the correct doc 3 months later, 'twas 116. mind'ja, she 'twas 'nly 5'2" 'n now's shrunk to 4'9", bless 'er. now, she's back'p near 160, which aint good fer 'er nor the hernia she can't get fixed due to other complications. such's now 'bout the size 'f a large grapefruit. she'll not make any changes'n 'er life. claims she "can't" 'n i've given 'p arguin' 'bout 't. jest makes 'er cry. so proud 'f ya, keep reachin' fer yer goals, hon. lots 'f folks here rallyin' fer ya, 'n we'll be here when ya fall, too.
Thank you so very much for this wonderful comment. I really appreciate you so very much.
@TheSojourner yer welcome, hon. 'tis very true ~ ya got this 'n when ya falter, we'll catch ya if'n ya let's.
@crazyhorseladycx thank you so much.
@LindaOHio (6868)
You have the extra incentive of the trip to help you along.
I'm not so worried about my weight and going to Aruba. I'm just wanting to get back on the right track! Thank you so much for your support and encouragement!
@LindaOHio (6868)
@TheSojourner You know I'm on your team!
@LeaPea2417 (25694)
• Toccoa, Georgia
I know the struggle is hard.
No matter what the struggle, they are all hard! I'm not Sure that people who struggle with things other than weight, that it's not all the same thing. Part of that Human Condition, I suppose.
@LeaPea2417 (25694)
• Toccoa, Georgia
@TheSojourner That is true.
@ShifaLk (16076)
Wow that's impressive
Thank you
@srinumcl (61)
yes take care about weight loss. Keep ourselves on track ...
Always need to keep ourselves on track!
My sister struggled with her weight her whole life her highest weight was 500 pounds but 1 year ago she decided to do something about it she went from 500 pounds to 350 she has lost a total of 150 pounds so far she exercised cut out all soda junk food and fried foods she eats salads soups and minimal bread and carbs she is not done yet she is still on her journey to weight loss.
You must be very proud of your sister. It sounds like she's doing very well. I know a lot of people when they have the very high weights, do a lot with gastric bypass surgeries. It sounds like she's taking this one on her own. I'm proud of her, and I don't even know her!
@janethwayne (4115)
Just keep on going then you can achieve what you are aiming.I also feel happy if there is a good result.
Thank you for your kind words!
@DocAndersen (5774)
I was a yo-yo for many years. I got a diagnosis 21 years ago that changed everything. I lost 90 pounds, but stayed in the yo-yo world. up to 265, down to 210 up to 235. When my father passed i was back at 245. I decided that I was the master of my ship. Lost back to 200, stay between 188 and 195 now. Your journey is incredible. Your fight is worthy! You are a hero!!!!!
Thank you so much